Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Banking Query

Options
  • 06-05-2010 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm heading to college in September (UCD here I come) and I need to set up a student bank account for my college fees and a much needed loan! Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best student bank account to open or any that I should definitely avoid? I've heard pretty mixed reports on all of them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I was/am with BOI and they were fine at the time, though they've scaled back some of the benefits (commission free foreign currency for example) so that they're not as competitive as some of the other banks. What mega peed me off was that they never told you they were cutting back what you'd get for free, you'd just go to use the facility one day and get told you'd have to pay for it.

I think if you wait until closer to the time the banks all have different offers on with freebies etc. for new student accounts. I wouldn't usually suggest going with whoever offers the best pressies but times are tough :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Not sure what it's like nowadays but back 3 or 4 years ago there was always a branch on campus in the first week or so looking for people to signup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

siof wrote: »
    I'm heading to college in September (UCD here I come) and I need to set up a student bank account for my college fees and a much needed loan! Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best student bank account to open or any that I should definitely avoid? I've heard pretty mixed reports on all of them.

Both AIB and BOI have branches close to UCD. AIB is located at the clonskeagh entrance and the BOI branch close to the UCD flyover. TBH I would suggest that you open 2 accounts (yes 2) to first avail of the offers and second test the water.

However, I would say your best chance of getting a loan would be with the bank your parents bank with (and I'm going to make a guess that it's either AIB / BOI considering over 70% of current accounts are with same).

You should be looking to pay off the loan over a year if it's for fees.

Advertisement