Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who determines "disability?"

Options
  • 06-05-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what body (organisation, govt agency, physician, person) determines that a person's conditions are disabilities in the context of the Employment Equality Act, 1998 (as amended 2004) for the purpose of acquiring "reasonable accommodation" and "appropriate measures" from their employer?

I am willing, competent and capable of doing my job. However, the physical conditions are interfering with my capability and my employer is not providing support and accommodation. I don't want to lose my job. I like it and I need it.

I can supply more detail if needed, but was trying to keep this short.

Do I need an employment law solicitor?

My question is similar to pieface_ie's but I didn't want to hijack his/her thread.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

The ultimate decision maker on employment issues would be the Equality Tribunal, but that is a long and arduous process. There is a definition of disability in the Employment Equality Acts. Your employer may have their own policies, but they can't override this definition.

It can be very difficult to define what is 'reasonable' in terms of Reasonable Accomodation. The Equality Authority have some information on their website about this.

Advertisement