Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit getting neutered

Options
  • 06-05-2010 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

My rabbit is getting neutered tomorrow, hope it all goes well, i heard it can be a big operation for a rabbit but its for her own good. I will be a nervous wreck for the day waiting to get her home! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Good on you for getting her done, she'll be a more relaxed rabbit and you won't get pee sprayed in your face when she kicks out as she's running (used to always happen to me).

Here's a link to my site, there's a rabbit neutering page on it that will give you some tips on before and after care.

http://guineapigcottage.webs.com/ourrabbitpage.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭StandardAngel

Hi thanks for the reply, i will have a read of that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Good luck, I'm sure she'll be fine. It's great you're getting her neutered, otherwise she'd probably get uterine cancer. She'll probably be happier and less moody in general aswell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Getting our last rabbit neutered was the best thing we ever did for her. She seemed much more relaxed and happy in herself afterwards.

Shes a really happy rabbit anyway but i dont want her getting cancer. Shes a year old already so i cant leave it any longer to get it done. Is the operation very painfull for them?? It took her a long time to get used to being around us, she was afraid and didnt like being touched or picked up at all when i got her so hope the pain of the operation doesnt make her go back that way :(

• Advertisement

I'm sure that won't happen. She'll probably feel sorry for herself for a day or so, but then be back to normal. :) I'm not sure with rabbits, but with cats they're usually back to normal the next morning. Good luck bunny!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Hope all goes well for you & your bun today. Our (male) rabbit was neutered just after Christmas. He was a bit off-colour for the first 24 hours but recovered steadily the following day & was soon back to normal.

She went in at 9 this morning, i have to ring at 2 and find out how she got on and they will tell me what time to pick her up at. 2 o clock cant come quick enough!! :)

The op won't be painful she'll be asleep for the whole thing and then a bit woozy afterwards the vet must give her a long acting pain killing injection just when he's finished the op.
    You prob have her home now, but for anyone else spaying or neutering their rabbit just make sure you ask the vet has the rabbit had a long acting pain killer and also if you feel your rabbit is uncomfortable the next day take them back in for another shot of pain killers. Usually they only need the one but it depends on the rabbit, a rabbit in pain may not eat so it's important to keep them pain free.

The op won't be painful she'll be asleep for the whole thing and then a bit woozy afterwards the vet must give her a long acting pain killing injection just when he's finished the op.
    You prob have her home now, but for anyone else spaying or neutering their rabbit just make sure you ask the vet has the rabbit had a long acting pain killer and also if you feel your rabbit is uncomfortable the next day take them back in for another shot of pain killers. Usually they only need the one but it depends on the rabbit, a rabbit in pain may not eat so it's important to keep them pain free.

Yeah i have her home now, shes very sleepy and a bit wobbly the few times she did move. She has been drinking a lot of water but hasnt ate anything yet but hopefully by morning she will. I have to bring her back tomorrow if she hasnt ate anything or if she hasnt pooped.

• Advertisement

How's she getting on today? If she's still not eating try offering her her favourite treats even some fresh herbs like rosemary or other safe herb sometimes the stronger smell of fresh herbs or grass or dandelions gets them eating.
    Hopefull she was just too sleepy and is eating now, there's stuff called critical care which is packed full of fibre if the vet has any or plain complan can be used but double check with your vet first.

Cant get her to eat anything, brought her back to the vet again this morning and he gave her injections. Getting really worried about her. She seems fine, shes hopping around and eating paper but i cant get her to touch any food :(

That's worrying, what kind of injections did the vet give? You should syringe feed her some tonight asap.

What you can do is mash up some veg like carrot if you have a food processor that would be great if not a mortor and pestle (sp?) mush up the carrot with some of her dry food or even just her dry food esp. if it's something like Burgess pellets it should be easy to mash by itself with a little water. Make it as thick as possible but be able to fit it into a syringe, if you haven't got a syringe (no needle obviously the ones with the plungers) try a dropper with the end cut off or even a teaspoon.

Vet might of given an injection to stimulate appetite but should of given you something like critical care or syringes to help syringe feed.

Try perhaps removing the paper and put down lots of hay and see if she takes to it.

He gave her an anti inflammatory one, one to help her bowel move, and two fluid injections.
    I dont have anything to syringe feed her with. I have her in her pet carrier that she sleeps in at night and i put in hay like normal and i put in some of her food, keeping an eye on her to see if she eats any of it.

Heres a picture of her the day i got her :) shes a tiny bit bigger now, not a great picture i will have to take more when she is better :)

Oh she's gorgeous. Is she a lionhead?

Could you ask the vet if you could get a syringe from them? Or do you have a straw or anything? If you put it into liquid, put your finger over the top hole and keep it there and it'll suck up some liquid. Put the end of the straw in the side of her mouth behind her front teeth and slowly leave some liquid go into her mouth and she would hopefully drink it. That's how I syringe fed a rabbit anyway . . .

I read to blend up a little of their dry food with lots of water and try that. I hope she starts eating soon and is ok. I'd definitely try with some herbs, fresh grass and a bit of apple maybe, or lettuce (not iceberg).

morganafay wrote: »
    Oh she's gorgeous. Is she a lionhead?

She ate some hay in her hutch this morning, my mam went out to check on her and she was eating a piece of hay. Not sure how much she ate but its a start. Got her rosemary and she ate a corner off one of the leaves. Her appetite seems to be coming back now thank god!

Oh that's good :) I hope she'll feel a lot better soon.

morganafay wrote: »
    Oh that's good :) I hope she'll feel a lot better soon.

Thanks for all your help, it been great :)

Has she been housed outside since her op?
    Keep a close eye on her poop as well it's a good sign that she has been eating. Rabbits need to keep their bowels moving if her digestive system stops moving she's going to get very ill or worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

How much would I expect to pay for to get a rabbit neutered.

marlin vs wrote: »

Is it male or female? My friend paid €90 for her female, but I think that's a bit much. A vet told me that it should be about the same as a cat or small dog, so about €50, or even less for a smaller rabbit. The vet was just kinda estimating, not giving a definite price though. And every vet is different.

Has she been housed outside since her op?
    Keep a close eye on her poop as well it's a good sign that she has been eating. Rabbits need to keep their bowels moving if her digestive system stops moving she's going to get very ill or worse.

I keep her outside in her hutch during the day but i always keep her inside at night in a cat carrier!
    She is back eating properly and her poop looks normal too.
    Heres two pictures i took of her last night, love the second one :)

DSCF1059.jpg

DSCF1054.jpg
    marlin vs wrote: »

I paid €80 to get my rabbit neutered.

That's great that she's back to eating normal. :)

Yeah its brilliant, she had me very worried for the last 3 days but thankfully shes fine now :) she even posed for a few pictures! :)

Aw she's gorgeous :) She definitely looks like a dwarf lionhead or a dwarf lionhead cross.

Advertisement