Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photos with multiple points of focus (stacked images)

• 06-05-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this was posted already, but I thought there were some interesting ideas in here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

Curios, why not just shoot the image at f18-22?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

this confuses me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Gr1f wrote: »

Because in Macro photography the DOF is minute, even at really small apertures like f18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Gr1f wrote: »

The focal lengths and subject distances required for photographs like these can produce very shallow depth-of-field even at f/22, so an alternate technique is needed to produce the desired image.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Great minds and all that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

aahhh thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

As above. Also you can obtain techniques like this (copy below) where you have multiple points of focus (non-planar?).
    If you like that sorta thing!
    joshharrisfocus800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Pretty cool, always wanted to try this!

Love the water droplet shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I think the technical term is Focus stacking and is very popular with photographers who do really high magnification macro(micro) images. The DoF is so narrow that it's not unusual to see 20 or more stacked photos in one image. I played around with this myself some years back using Helicon focus and the Velbon Super Mag Slider, which I've since sold to stcstc. It's a great pursuit if you have the time and patience. Lots of trial and error. Generally the best results can be achieved by using a Mechanical Stage. It moves for each shot while the camera stays still. Though they are very expensive to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭SinLight

I dont know if this is actually the same technique - but it can be used creatively to get something like that:

4555316297_29d094a34f_o.jpg

At least I tend to think like that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I don't like the images with two focal points and bokeh in between. They throw off my eye and I don't know where to look - also they look fake (I suppose because they are)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

could someone explain what is the point of this? I'm pretty sure I'm having a blonde Friday - having trouble getting my head around this :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

this explains its use in macro photography

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭SinLight

Xiney wrote: »
    I don't like the images with two focal points and bokeh in between. They throw off my eye and I don't know where to look - also they look fake (I suppose because they are)

These are fake but yet again - what is not in today's world :) this was one of the first tryouts Id say and wouldnt be repeating this more often and handling this in as a final product - this is to show the possibilities :)

Advertisement