Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a pool table

• 06-05-2010 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey, I've recently been thinking of getting a pool table but the only space I have in my house is the loft. It'll obviously need to be an MDF table and I was hoping someone could give me advice on what ones are the best - some people say they are crap and others say the are good if you get a decent one, but I really have no idea what to look for.

It'll need to come apart so I can fit it up the loft hatch and then build it up there.

Any advice or recommendations?

Cheers
    wi1son

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭jesse shortall1

wat is your price range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

Hi,
    Hoestly, I think you'll have a lot of difficulty getting a true finish (no creases, cracks) on the MDF when it comes in pieces.
    For simplicity you could always glue a sheet of thin coil aluminium onto the MDF and use this to glue the baize on. The aluminium can be rolled (coiled) up before you bring it up?
    Upstairs tables, especially where there is poor insulation, often warp with movement in the floorboards which sit on joist (C16 joists in your case probably, which shouldn't twist but usually do).
    A mate bought a cheap MDF table for downsatirs in his gaff but the cloth was rough and the room warm, so it warped badly.
    I had an old chipboard one for years in the garage and it eventually started to warp, but it was still well playable for 7-8 years (£100 at an auction in 1992)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wi1son

Price range is about €400-500.

I was thinking about getting this one as it folds easily but I think I'd still have to modify my loft hatch by at least 6 inches.

http://www.homegames.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=HGFP6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 carlowpoker

Not being funny ...have u tried ebay??? Pubs closing up selling everything at good prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

It also depends on what type of pool you wanna play. If you're hoping to play in proper tournaments or go semi-pro you'll need to get an american style billiards table. They've bigger balls and pockets. Whereas for just fun I'd recommend a pub style table. Smaller tables can be got and they've smaller balls (the red and yellow balls opposed to the stripes and solids). Also you can get smaller stripes and solid pool ball sets which I'd recomment so you can play 9 ball (great game).

• Advertisement
Advertisement