Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Planning a trip to the Nürburgring

Options
  • 06-05-2010 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi all.

I'm hoping to travel to Germany this summer for a weekend to take my car round the Nürburgring. Always wanted to do this. Just wondering has anyone out there done this before and know what's involved, mainly the cost.

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I remember from top gear its a tenner a lap you might see sabine schmidt...I wouldnt mind a lap on her;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

SARASON wrote: »
    I remember from top gear its a tenner a lap you might see sabine schmidt...I wouldnt mind a lap on her;)

Are you sure she's not a lesbos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Berty wrote: »
    Are you sure she's not a lesbos?

All the better maybe:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭YipYipU

Thanks LIGHTENING. Just after getting the car so I'll be minding her like a baby so hopefully damages won't enter the equation.

I agree SARASON, wouldn't mind a go at Sabine myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Good (ie performance/track) tyres and brakes. Think about bringing spare pads too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I'd rather be thrown out of the car window and ride the crash barrier than ride Sabine =/ she's effectively a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

qz wrote: »
    I'd rather be thrown out of the car window and ride the crash barrier than ride Sabine =/ she's effectively a man.

How did you happen to find out? ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

What car are you going to be driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

bazz26 wrote: »
    How did you happen to find out? ;):D

Stumbled across this pic bazz

sabine.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

SARASON wrote: »
    .I wouldnt mind a lap on her;)

I wouldn't mind her on my lap :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Did it last year. Do a search and you should find a quick report I did afterwards. If you can get a deal on the ferries then the costs are not too bad. Also worth going mid week if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Did it 2 years ago can't wait to do it again,if you are a ring virgin i would recommend arriving there on a Monday or tuesday and doing 3 days.

The place is jammers at the weekends and the track can be very crowded,i mean VERY crowded.

Midweek the track is closed during the day and opens to the public in the evening usually around 6,the reason the track is closed during the day is it is being used by manufacturers for testing so you are liable to see anything when we were there we say the test versions of the V10 R8 spider,the 4 door porsche,the 4 door aston,the new Range rover sport,the new 7 series etc etc

Accommodation/ferry etc are also cheaper midweek.

Make sure your car is in tip top shape as the 'ring is hard on a car,its the scariest and most fun thing you'll ever do in your car,couldn't recommend it enough.

Here is a great site to check out http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/

Here's a little taster from a write up i did about my trip there as a teaser....
    No amount of youtube videos or war stories can set you up mentaly for this place,the approach is perfectly suited and the loaction perfect,you see the exit for the nurburgring sign posted on the motorway ahead,and from the very moment you leave the motorway you start to climb into the hills towards the elusive ring,which you can never see,all the time you are climbing your excitement is building,wondering is it in that valley in those trees,is it behind that hill in those trees as a first time arriver you never know and the suspense is killing you,you start to see a 911 here,an M3 here but not your average 911s or M3's but rather ones with roll cages in them and superlight wheels - you know you are getting close and then we catch sight of a brand new white evo 10 now a total write off on a flat bed lorry descending the hills from the ring and it quickly drives home the reality that the ring is no fair ground ride it can and will bite,its a sobering thought indeed as we continue or climb towards mecca...

we eventually arrive at the hotel and very quickly in becomes obvious that you have arrived at some where special,within moments of arriving we have already seen the new BMW M7 test car,the new 4 door porsche test car and the alfa romeo 8C...we have arrived! we drive into the hotel underground carpark to check in but it is about 20 minutes before we can leave running from one corner to the next clicking away like japanese tourists.......

All this time we still had not seen the nurburgring proper but you could hear it everywhere roaring from the hills and trees all around,it was like some caged animal in the woods or a dinosuar from jurassic park,we took a drive along the roads of the area trying to find a way in or a viewing point and the sense that you are looking for something elusive is heightened by the fact that you only ever get to see snippets fo the ring,a shot of a straight here,or a corner up ahead in the hills appearing out of the trees and disapparing as quickly....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

TheBazman wrote: »
    Did it last year. Do a search and you should find a quick report I did afterwards. If you can get a deal on the ferries then the costs are not too bad. Also worth going mid week if you can.

Are you talking about Sabine or the track? :D:D

Advertisement