Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using nails to pick

Options
  • 06-05-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Just wondering if any of ye can help with this.
    I'm growing the nails on my picking hand to use while playing guitar, just really for doing chicken picking on an electric and some flamenco on a nylon acoustic. So I'm wondering does anyone use their nails like this and most importantly,what do you use to strengthen the nails.
    I've heard of people using some sort of coating, like a skin friendly laquor or something but I'm pretty much in the dark about it.
    I've asked a few players that I know and their replies have been pretty much "Sure it'd be grand" but I was playing the other day and I tried it out, I started to chicken pick with my nails,and although it sounded good, I could really feel the strings ripping at them.
    If anyone could throw a bit of advice this way,that'd be great. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

*shudders* :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

king-stew wrote: »
    *shudders* :eek:

Oops,
    I was drunk and slagging myself off using my other account.
    Apologies.
    Annnyyyway:rolleyes:

There was a tip in Guitar Techniques last year to massage the bottom of the nail to strengthen it... I do it out of habit now and it seems to work.

Players who play live usually use acrylic nails or some sort of coating, just because they're screwed if their nails break during a live performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I've heard of people cutting up sections of ping pong balls and sticking them to their nails.

On first growing them, I think they're usually pretty weak, try trimming them back and letting them grow again, and keep trimming them. Worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Superglue or nail varnish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Ok this is a hard one.
    First the nails shouldn't be too long, just a small round (you must shape using a nail file) part sticking out no more than 1/2mm. use nail strengthener from boots. It's not too strong. Super glue gives no flexibility and the nail is more likely to break this way. take plenty of nice vitamins to strengthen nail.:)

Advertisement