Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fishing Kayak Recomendations

• 06-05-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi All

i'd like to try some fishing from a kayak this year, im unsure should this thread lie under fishing or under Kayaking... can anyone recomend a nice basic model Fishing kayak. I dont want to spend a lot until maybe next year and I know i enjoy it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Some of the Team i-canoe guys did a bit of kayak fishing a while back, here is a wee Blog post about it HERE

If you drop the guys in the shop a line they will be able to give you some quality advice.

Adrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Conal1

If you are completely new to kayak fishing or kayaking generally, be very careful about what you take on in a sit-on-top. Most are quite high sided, which has its advantages, but also makes them very susceptible to wind.
    Most standard kayaks are fairly low in the water and moderate wind is not too big a problem, but the same conditions can make an S-O-T very difficult to control.
    Taking an S-O-T out to sea in an offshore wind of any strength is asking for trouble.
    I'm not trying to put you off but just be careful and get lots of advice about the do's and dont's before venturing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Chiorino

While taking into account what the previous poster mentioned about sit on tops, they really are the way to go. Most other types of kayak usually aren't stable enough to get involved in any sort of a struggle with a fish and that goes for novices and experienced kayakers alike.

There are a number of well kitted angler specific models on the market now such as the Wilderness Series Tarpons, FeelFree Moken, Manta Ray etc. I've used the Tarpon 120 myself and would recommend it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Mad River do some pretty good ones too a open canoe could be another option. Best bet pop into a shop and have a nose around.
    There is also a new award scheme for Sit-on-top kayaks so if it the sea or the river your interested in id say get on a course and learn the skills.

Cheers
    Paddy

Advertisement