Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

autocad (2007) advice

Options
  • 06-05-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hey,
    My college only has autocad 2007 & it's really difficult to find books etc on this.
    I can't even find it online to buy it, how much would it be today, surely not a lot?
    does anyone know where I can get it?

I'm a little reluctant to do one of those torrent free download things, 'cause I don't know what I'll be downloading.:(

I really want to have access to this at home, because 3 months off for the summer & no practice definitely won't do me any good, so I may have to buy a newer version.
    Is there really much difference between the old & new versions? I'm told the newer ones are close to 1,000 euro!!:eek:

Love to hear any advice,
    thanks! :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

There's a student edition of AutoCAD 2010 for €129 plus VAT at http://www.axonware.ie/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=48&products_id=190. To be honest that's incredibly cheap, I know my employer pays thousands of Euros for each licence.

As for 2007 versus 2010, to be honest on a lot of levels there's not much difference in functionality until you get to an advanced level. The is however a huge difference in the interface which takes a fair while to get used to. It's similar to changing from Office 2003 to Office 2007, in that AutoCAD 2010 has all the buttons arranged in ribbons rather than toolbars. Personally I don't like it but you should probably get 2010 as that's what you'll be using when you leave college.

If you do go for 2010, just be careful to save your work in the 2007 format so that you can open it on the college computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

rcdk1 wrote: »
    The is however a huge difference in the interface which takes a fair while to get used to. It's similar to changing from Office 2003 to Office 2007, in that AutoCAD 2010 has all the buttons arranged in ribbons rather than toolbars.

You can set it to 'Classic theme' though.

But yea, functionally there is little difference between 2007 and 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Scotty # wrote: »
    You can set it to 'Classic theme' though.
    Had forgotten about that, but to be fair if you're upgrading to 2010 then it's as well to learn the new format. I presume that future releases will also have that ribbon format(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Nice one guys!!
    Thanks for the info & link, great stuff!! It's really going to be a saver for the start of 2nd year.

Thanks again, greatly appreciated:cool:

Advertisement