Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny Half Marathon

• 06-05-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Anyone doing or previously done the Kilkenny Half Marathon?
    I just finished the Wexford Half and was thinking of penciling in Kilkenny in September. Any thoughts ???

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 3 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    0%
    3 stars (average)
    66%
    essdeeFormosa 2 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    33%
    Toblerone1978 1 vote
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Anyone doing or previously done the Kilkenny Half Marathon?
    I just finished the Wexford Half and was thinking of penciling in Kilkenny in September. Any thoughts ???

Here thread from last year might give you a little insight

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055687223&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fitness fan

Cheers doesn't sound too bad so I may as well sign up after all its the motivation to keep running...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Are you doing this fitness fan?

It would be a handy spin for me. Any ideas of expected numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

Was wondering about the numbers myself with the Dublin half marathon the day before and all. I'll be doing it anyway but would expect small numbers, hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Diggy78 wrote: »
    Was wondering about the numbers myself with the Dublin half marathon the day before and all. I'll be doing it anyway but would expect small numbers, hope I'm wrong.

They will be close to 400 i heard.
    Pacers for 1.30 1.45 and 2 hours.........
    Have the honour of pacing the 1.30 myself........Different course than last year and its easier.

It starts and finishes at the castle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Have the honour of pacing the 1.30 myself........Different course than last year and its easier.

Cool! Best of luck with the pacing gig VR.

Cool! Best of luck with the pacing gig VR.

Would have loved one of those jackets. Maybe i might get one for the real one. I think Kruesty should give me his.;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Would have loved one of those jackets. Maybe i might get one for the real one. I think Kruesty should give me his.;);)

Think he should too...:D

How 'bout, whoever brings in the largest number of runners (as a percentage of total field) between 1:29:00-1:29:59 gets the jacket...<stirring:)>

[size=-6](although I reckon they'll look after you for the Full)[/size]

That's great vr, thanks for letting us know. I didn't think there would be pacers.

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Hi Folks

My wife and i are thinking of entering the 10k run on the same day in Kilkenny. Will the distances for this run be measured in Kilometer markers or Mile markers.

Rgds

• Advertisement

Different course than last year and its easier.

Can I ask you at around mile do we meet any hills/tricky spots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭AlmostQuick

I registered late last week but have heard absolutely nothing since, no e-mail as regards registration, rules etc. What's going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭webpal

yeah was hoping to register for this last night despite the lack of information but according to the website they have their max amount of 400 and entry is closed ???!!! ah well just have to stick to the oul lanes as usual this weekend. couldnt find any details on the race at all bar the map and start and finish line.

RubyK wrote: »
    Can I ask you at around mile do we meet any hills/tricky spots?

In the half the first 2-3 miles is very flat with a climb of 300m followed by a downhill off 400m. You then go off the ring road which has ups and downs. The last 3.5 miles is very flat and should be a very fast finish.
    Could i run a pb on it. Yes I think I could. If I was racing it I would race it from 9.5 miles as I think you will make up alot of time if you dont go off too quick.
    There is a few hills from 3-6 which are rolling hills up and down...........Lovely country roads......The dog that bit two runners last year has been put down but to his defence they were wearing Tipp jerseys:D:D:D

webpal wrote: »
    yeah was hoping to register for this last night despite the lack of information but according to the website they have their max amount of 400 and entry is closed ???!!! ah well just have to stick to the oul lanes as usual this weekend. couldnt find any details on the race at all bar the map and start and finish line.
    It def isnt closed. You can enter on the day. NO tshirt though. Enter in thec Ormonde hotel gym on the morning. No need to pay for parking as plenty of housing estates up form the castle.
    Email colin@activeage.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Folks

I emailed the organiser yesterday as i was interested in doing the 10k.

He emailed me back stating the booking through runireland.ie was fully booked (400) in total, but you can register on the day in Ormond Hotel.

However, he stated that only a limited amount of places are available and that registration starts at 9am in the morning. He stated that 10k run starts at 12 midday.
    It's chip timed, accurately measured. i believe only people whom pre registered are getting T Shirts but everyone gets a medal for completion.

i could be wrong on this.

Looks like, if i want to enter i have to drive to Kilkenny to register early at 9am and wait for 3 hours for run to begin.

Rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 9 drakefan

Hi anyone know what the 10m course is like? Was planning on heading down from Dublin but not if its hilly - want to run a pb and nothing else will do!

In the half the first 2-3 miles is very flat with a climb of 300m followed by a downhill off 400m. You then go off the ring road which has ups and downs. The last 3.5 miles is very flat and should be a very fast finish.
    Could i run a pb on it. Yes I think I could. If I was racing it I would race it from 9.5 miles as I think you will make up alot of time if you dont go off too quick.
    There is a few hills from 3-6 which are rolling hills up and down...........Lovely country roads......The dog that bit two runners last year has been put down but to his defence they were wearing Tipp jerseys:D:D:D

Thanks for that village runner :eek: :pac:

Nice to know the last 3.5 are flat - I'll take your advice, stick with my right pace, and then push on from there (if I can :o).

I received this email earlier. Lots of info in it.

2010 Kilkenny Half Marathon and 10 km.

19th September.

Race Day Information.

Race Registration.
    Registration will take place on race day in the Ormonde Hotel Health Club (Red triangle on map below) between 8:00 -9:30 am only for Half Marathon athletes and 9:00-10:30 for 10 km athletes. Please come as early as you can. We will stick with the times given and close registration by 10.30 am.
    For detailed directions please click this link: http://www.kilkennyormonde.com/location

Map: Kilkenny City Centre.
    We will try to make registration as quick as possible so please look at the notices when you enter the leisure centre foyer to check for your race number and have some form of ID open with you when you go up to the marshals to register and get your race bag, t-shirt and timing chip.
    There will be notices and maps in the foyer which should answer most questions you may have. If you have further questions please go to the person at the information point in the foyer rather than asking questions of the marshals doing registration. Everyone asking a short question of the registration marshals slows things down a lot and we want to avoid people being frustrated in long queues.
    What you will receive at race registration.
    1. Race Number.
    2. Safety pins for race number.
    3. Timing chip which is designed to go on the laces of one of your trainers.
    4. Race Bag
    5. Race t-shirt (online entries only).
    Race start times.
    Both races will start on time. We kindly ask that athletes keep off the road until called to take up position approximately 5 minutes before your race starts. Our marshals and the Gardai will control traffic during the event, but please realise that this is not a completely closed road event. Please be as careful as you would anytime when running on public roads.
    The start for the Half Marathon is 11 am and the 10 km is 12 midday. The black dot on the map marks the finish line (same for both races). The start lines for the half marathon and 10 km will be at different points. This is to ensure accurate distances for both races. Both starts however will be less than 100 metres from the finish line. These will be clearly marked for race day.
    Pacers.
    There will be pacers for the half marathon only. These will be clear due to the balloon floating above them! The time they are pacing for will be printed on the balloon. The 3 pace finish times are:
    1hr 30 mins,
    1hr 45 mins,
    2hrs.
    These are experienced runners, but at the same time we would appreciated if people allowed them to focus on keeping the pace right and not distract them.

Water Stations (see maps at bottom of page).
    For the Half Marathon water stations will be placed at:
    7.2 km
    12 km
    17.8 km and at the finish line.
    For the 10 km water stations will be at:
    6.8 km and at the finish line.

No littering.
    There will be marked Eco Zones 70 metres after each water station. Only at this point are athletes allowed to throw away their water cups. Littering the course is not acceptable.
    General.
    At all times during the races athletes are to keep to the left hand side of the road. Athletes must only cross the road if told to by a race marshal. Cycle paths will be used on certain sections. Any cutting of the course will lead to disqualification.
    Toilets.
    There are toilets located on the Parade at the race start/finish area. It is a privilege to be allowed to start and finish the race here. Anyone urinating where they should not be will be disqualified.
    Prize giving.
    Prize giving will be held near the finish line at 1.15 pm for both events. Spot prizes however will be given out randomly as athletes finish their race.
    Support & Post race analysis!
    The finish line will be a busy area with many finishers of the 10 km and Half Marathon coming in together. Please enjoy the atmosphere and show your support and encouragement for those finishing after you. There will be food served at the after party in the “Left Bank” after the races. This will be between 1.30-3 pm. You will get a ticket for this food in your race bag. The “Left Bank” is located only 50 metres from the race finish.
    Parking.
    As it will be a Sunday morning the city traffic will be relatively quiet and parking should not be a problem. Please note that much street parking requires a parking ticket. There is a multi-storey car park (Ormonde Car Park) beside registration.

Course maps below.

Course maps with water stations (H2O).
    Kilkenny Half Marathon.

Kilkenny 10 km

mmmmmmm, eco zones eh!! I guess that means we dont really get to drink for the 13 miles then? Presuming this means cups instead of bottles, that is disappointing. They had bottles last year afair, could be wrong.

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    I received this email earlier. Lots of info in it.

2010 Kilkenny Half Marathon and 10 km.

19th September.

Race Day Information.

Race Registration.
    Registration will take place on race day in the Ormonde Hotel Health Club (Red triangle on map below) between 8:00 -9:30 am only for Half Marathon athletes and 9:00-10:30 for 10 km athletes. Please come as early as you can. We will stick with the times given and close registration by 10.30 am.
    For detailed directions please click this link: http://www.kilkennyormonde.com/location

Map: Kilkenny City Centre.
    We will try to make registration as quick as possible so please look at the notices when you enter the leisure centre foyer to check for your race number and have some form of ID open with you when you go up to the marshals to register and get your race bag, t-shirt and timing chip.
    There will be notices and maps in the foyer which should answer most questions you may have. If you have further questions please go to the person at the information point in the foyer rather than asking questions of the marshals doing registration. Everyone asking a short question of the registration marshals slows things down a lot and we want to avoid people being frustrated in long queues.
    What you will receive at race registration.
    1. Race Number.
    2. Safety pins for race number.
    3. Timing chip which is designed to go on the laces of one of your trainers.
    4. Race Bag
    5. Race t-shirt (online entries only).
    Race start times.
    Both races will start on time. We kindly ask that athletes keep off the road until called to take up position approximately 5 minutes before your race starts. Our marshals and the Gardai will control traffic during the event, but please realise that this is not a completely closed road event. Please be as careful as you would anytime when running on public roads.
    The start for the Half Marathon is 11 am and the 10 km is 12 midday. The black dot on the map marks the finish line (same for both races). The start lines for the half marathon and 10 km will be at different points. This is to ensure accurate distances for both races. Both starts however will be less than 100 metres from the finish line. These will be clearly marked for race day.
    Pacers.
    There will be pacers for the half marathon only. These will be clear due to the balloon floating above them! The time they are pacing for will be printed on the balloon. The 3 pace finish times are:
    1hr 30 mins,
    1hr 45 mins,
    2hrs.
    These are experienced runners, but at the same time we would appreciated if people allowed them to focus on keeping the pace right and not distract them.

Water Stations (see maps at bottom of page).
    For the Half Marathon water stations will be placed at:
    7.2 km
    12 km
    17.8 km and at the finish line.
    For the 10 km water stations will be at:
    6.8 km and at the finish line.

No littering.
    There will be marked Eco Zones 70 metres after each water station. Only at this point are athletes allowed to throw away their water cups. Littering the course is not acceptable.
    General.
    At all times during the races athletes are to keep to the left hand side of the road. Athletes must only cross the road if told to by a race marshal. Cycle paths will be used on certain sections. Any cutting of the course will lead to disqualification.
    Toilets.
    There are toilets located on the Parade at the race start/finish area. It is a privilege to be allowed to start and finish the race here. Anyone urinating where they should not be will be disqualified.
    Prize giving.
    Prize giving will be held near the finish line at 1.15 pm for both events. Spot prizes however will be given out randomly as athletes finish their race.
    Support & Post race analysis!
    The finish line will be a busy area with many finishers of the 10 km and Half Marathon coming in together. Please enjoy the atmosphere and show your support and encouragement for those finishing after you. There will be food served at the after party in the “Left Bank” after the races. This will be between 1.30-3 pm. You will get a ticket for this food in your race bag. The “Left Bank” is located only 50 metres from the race finish.
    Parking.
    As it will be a Sunday morning the city traffic will be relatively quiet and parking should not be a problem. Please note that much street parking requires a parking ticket. There is a multi-storey car park (Ormonde Car Park) beside registration.

Course maps below.

Course maps with water stations (H2O).
    Kilkenny Half Marathon.

Kilkenny 10 km

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colinactiveage

The race briefing and lots of info for both events is on the facebook page "Kilkenny Half Marathon". Be sure it's the 2010 page you open. For fairness, 'On the day' registration is limited to the first 100 (whether HM or 10km) on a first come basis. This opens at 8 am at the Ormonde hotel leisure centre. 'On the day' entries will not receive race t-shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Would have loved one of those jackets. Maybe i might get one for the real one. I think Krusty should give me his.;);)
    Haha. Just saw this now. Tell you what, you can have the shorts (after the marathon). :D
    This has all the hallmarks of being a village runner quote. :)

The race briefing and lots of info for both events is on the facebook page "Kilkenny Half Marathon". Be sure it's the 2010 page you open. For fairness, 'On the day' registration is limited to the first 100 (whether HM or 10km) on a first come basis. This opens at 8 am at the Ormonde hotel leisure centre. 'On the day' entries will not receive race t-shirts.
    The link to Facebook on Run Ireland doesn't seem to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colinactiveage

Results for the 10K are available on http://precisiontiming.net/result/view/id/104

Results for the Half Marathon are available on
    http://precisiontiming.net/result/view/id/105

Well done on yesterdays event Colin, I really enjoyed it and got myself a nice PB :D

Results for the 10K are available on http://precisiontiming.net/result/view/id/104

Results for the Half Marathon are available on
    http://precisiontiming.net/result/view/id/105

Well done on a well organised race. Pity about the water stations- cups of water with one person distributing them at each station. And as for that barbeque afterwards, long queue for a burger! Any pictures of the race online?

Well done on a well organised race. Pity about the water stations- cups of water with one person distributing them at each station. And as for that barbeque afterwards, long queue for a burger! Any pictures of the race online?

Would agree with this, I thought the organisation at crossroads and roundabouts was very good and the finish went well too. Nice medal, very nice T shirt. Good atmosphere.

Re the water stations, I know an awful lot of races use cups, but from a personal standpoint, I've decided that I'm no longer entering a half marathon that doesn't give out bottles. I just cant actually get a drink out of a cup when running.

But enough of that, well done to the organisers again. I'll see ya next year if there's bottles! :D

Does anyone know why the results weren't e-mailed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Diggy78 wrote: »
    I just cant actually get a drink out of a cup when running.

stick a straw in your shorts, pick up cup, whip it out and drink away. put in shorts for next water station:)

Advertisement