Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Biome question (Geography)

Options
  • 06-05-2010 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

I've prepared an A answer for Characteristics of a biome, and now I need to prepare an A answer for Human Interaction with a biome. Thing is, I don't know how to lay it out.

With the Characteristics, my layout was simple: My essay was broken up into 6 paragraphs; Opening, Climate, Vegitation, Plants, animals, importance of biomes/closing. Can anyone help me with the way I should structure my essay for "Human Interaction on a Biome"? (preferably in paragraph structure).

Oh, and my Biome is the Tropical Rainforest.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My biome is the tropical rainforest, but I actually have a great essay prepared on how humans interfere with the Coniferous Rainforest Biome in Europe (acid rain). I think you're allowed to mix biomes, as the examiner won't know on the day!

The way I lay mine out is

1. Discuss Acid Rain / Acid Deposition, and how it is caused by human activities
    2. How it impacts the vegetation
    3. How it impacts the soil
    4. How it impacts the rivers and lakes of the biome.

OK, that might not be relevant to your biome, but maybe it is of some help. Remember to state clearly what you are going to discuss in your next paragraph (e.g. The next aspect I will examine is how acid rain impacts the soil of the biome), as this often merits an SRP (usually this only happens in the option questions).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

We're doing the desert biome. I just go into what causes the effects of overcropping, overgrazing, desertification. There's alot of info there so I find it easy to get my SRPs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Kersmash wrote: »
    We're doing the desert biome. I just go into what causes the effects of overcropping, overgrazing, desertification. There's alot of info there so I find it easy to get my SRPs.

I heard that they are no longer accepting the desert as a biome any more. I'm sorry, but I don't have any link to back this up.

Did anybody else hear this off their teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Ah what? You're kidding me! Better go have a looksies. I'll ask my teacher tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hup123

Question 18
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]This was the most popular Options question of all and gained the second highest average mark, with the Desert Biome most often mentioned.

Straight from 2007 chief examiner report. why would they take it off??
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Currently doing a biome question myself atm. The question is

''Examine 2 ways in which human activities have alter the natural characteristics of a biome you have studied''

Im doing the Tropical Rainforest biome. So If anybody needs help just Pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

I heard that they are no longer accepting the desert as a biome any more. I'm sorry, but I don't have any link to back this up.

Did anybody else hear this off their teachers?

I did a hot desert biome for my LC last year. Got an A1, meaning they had to accept it.
    They have to give due notice to change what the do and don't accept. I would say they do accept it and your teacher is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

In a thread the other day i saw that somewhere too. Its not true. Its on the syllabus that desertification should be studied.

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_geography_sy.pdf?language=EN
    (Pg 39)

Advertisement