Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who can I complain about Sky to?

Options
  • 06-05-2010 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi,

for the past few weeks, Sky TV (their Cork office) have been ringing my house approximately once a day trying to upsell whatever they are trying to upsell. Problem is my other half is the account holder and despite me asking them every time to remove us from their database they wont do it without speaking to my other half. Problem is she isnt around at the hours they call.

I've sent them correspondence via their websites complaints section but still they call.

Is there anything I can do to stop them calling? Calls come in anytime up until 9pm.

As with everything we ever sign up for we always tick/untick the box to say never to call us/send us e-mail etc. But this obviously doesnt make a difference to them.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Check out Comreg.ie - it has information on stopping unsolicited phone calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Have the other half fax or letter or email them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Complain to comreg, in the mean time everytime they call request a supervisor straight away, then give the supervisor a run for their money....if that means abusing them so be it. After all you've asked them not to call you nicely so if they continue your free to abuse them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Does the phone also belong to the other half? If it's in your name, you can strongly tell them not to use your number to contact her.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Have a loud horn next to the phone.

It'll take them a week to stop calling but they will and you get to enjoy deafening them until they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

As far as I can remember Sky use 'Abtran' the customer calling outsourcing company in Cork for sales calls.

If this company are using proper software they should be able to stop anyone contacting you again, but from what you are saying it looks as though they are just working their way through sheets of tel. numbers.

E-mail them to complain as they have your contact details.

If not call sky and threaten to cancel if they don't stop calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Every time they call just ask them to hold on she's on her way. Then sit down and watch TV or do the garden. May as well annoy them if they annoy you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

do what del does..One minute there I'll get her, leave the phone off the hook sit down relax for 5 minutes go back if there still there tell them to wait 1 more minute...chill out for another few then go back and hang up.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Cabaal wrote: »
    Complain to comreg, in the mean time everytime they call request a supervisor straight away, then give the supervisor a run for their money....if that means abusing them so be it. After all you've asked them not to call you nicely so if they continue your free to abuse them.....

I love this mentality. Can I subscribe to your newsletter? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

do what del does..One minute there I'll get her, leave the phone off the hook sit down relax for 5 minutes go back if there still there tell them to wait 1 more minute...chill out for another few then go back and hang up.

I'd love to claim the credit but I read it on here before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Put them on hold for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

Surely the bleeding obvious thing to do is to get the account holder to phone them?

Why should they take instructions from someone who is not the account holder? In fact, they would be remiss in their responsibilities were they to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭freebee23

In same boat as OP.
    Receiving calls every quarter or so from SKY offering upgrades at half price etc. My wife received 4 calls alone this week and as she is not named on the account she could not deal with them.
    The last straw came today when I actually got to answer the fifth call, same thing, upgrade to Sky Sports for 3 months - half price. I explained to them quite nicely that as I still have the original Orion Box since 2005 (Old technology in todays market) with no record function/rewind/HDMI output option etc there was no point in me taking up their "Offers".

I then went on to ask for a real offer, provide me with a free Sky HD+ box and I might consider upgrading. Well got the usual "I'm only in upgrades section, you will have to talk to somebody else" lark.
    So I decided that I would speak to someone who could sort this out for me. After a few phone calls and approx 1.5 hours of wrangling I managed to get what I wanted and the kind girl from Sky also added free installation with 3 months half price Sky Sports and Movies for an added €20 per month, she also dropped the need for me to take out the €15 per month subscription for the HD as I did not want this.

I have been a customer of Sky for the last 5 years and this is the first time that I have stuck to my guns with them and it actually paid off. I also added my wife to my account so when they ring again they will be in for an even bigger shock, if they think I'm a tough cookie, wait till they deal with her....They'll be offering a free TV with all the trimmings when she's finished with them!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

freebee23 wrote: »
    I have been a customer of Sky for the last 5 years and this is the first time that I have stuck to my guns with them and it actually paid off. I also added my wife to my account so when they ring again they will be in for an even bigger shock, if they think I'm a tough cookie, wait till they deal with her....They'll be offering a free TV with all the trimmings when she's finished with them!!!!

maybe you should give your tel number to the op & get the op to divert hiss calls for few days:D:D

best way to stop the calls is to send letter to sky informing them that you want no markeing calls whatsoever, under any circumstances and that if such a call is received, you will immediately cancel the account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Quazzie wrote: »
    Have a loud horn next to the phone.

Fail. The horn would be far louder in YOUR ear, than down the phone as a weak trebley DTMF tone. So you'd only be pwning yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

its gas how sky use the data protection act when they want to(act says they can only discuss personal details with the account holder/ billpayer) and yet say they are not regulated in ireland(VAT paid to the uk government and various issues of the BAI try to regulate them)... its like yes we will use it for some things and no we wont for others....so tell em under uk law that they insist they are regulated by they dont have to speak to the billpayer and stop annoying you ..... it might cause em to hang up quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Except that the calls are originating from Ireland and therefore are subject to Irish law, not UK law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

thanks for all the replies.
    Someone asked why the account holder doesnt talk to them directly. The problem was the account holder was never around when they called, however she did get to speak to them late last week and asked for all calls to stop.

The guy on the phone said he wasnt able to do that.
    spoke to a supervisor and threatened legal action/reporting them. He was much more helpful and agreed to remove us from these spam calls.

2 days later got the same call from them again so this time told them to disconnect us immediately.

For some reason weve now ended up with 3 months free subscription! And we didnt ask for it. So I guess for now its sorted! :)

Advertisement