Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a bicycle

• 06-05-2010 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Firstly, if this is in the wrong forum, apologies - mods, feel free to move it to a more appropriate place.

Just basically looking for suggestions. I want to get myself a bicycle. I used to love cycling and I want to get back into it, because I enjoy it but also because I need to have a close look at my fitness and diet (I went out for a spin on a borrowed bike a couple of weeks ago and after less then a mile on the flat I was wheezing - it wasn't pretty!). I need to start getting myself in shape and I want to lose 2 to 3 stone by september while also easing myself into a healther lifestyle. I don't think going on a crash diet will achieve anything in the long term.

So any suggestions? What sort of bike xhould I be looking for? Any good ideas for shops that do good deals on new or second hand bikes? It doesn't need to be a state of the art machine but I do need a good one - I might as well invest in a decent one to start with that I'll be able to use for the foreseeable future.

Thanks ppls!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I've had one of these for ten years, it's practically indestructable. Front suspesion model . Good riding position IMO, but needs road tyres fitted before you leave the shop.
    http://www.kearneycycles.com/galway-bicycles-details.php?act=viewProd&productId=595

Cannondale Badboy. Posh urban road bike. Both of these are fine for city/urban use.
    http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/eng/Products/Bikes/Recreation-Urban/Bad-Boy/Bad-Boy/Details/1476-0BRD-Bad-Boy-Disc-26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

squod wrote: »

Cannondale Badboy. Posh urban road bike. Both of these are fine for city/urban use.
    http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/eng/Products/Bikes/Recreation-Urban/Bad-Boy/Bad-Boy/Details/1476-0BRD-Bad-Boy-Disc-26

Want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Want!

Makes two of us. Absolutely fell in love with it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

Hi Mammanabammana!

I did exactly this about 2 weeks ago and got my bike from Halfords, you can buy if flat packed to build yourself or you can collect it in a day or two built for you (no extra charge for this)

This is the bike I got and I very happy with it, its very sturdy and enjoyable to ride

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_253001_langId_-1_categoryId_212589

Word of warning about Halfords, do your own research before you call to them as the store I went to didnt have a clue and I called in 3 seperate times before I bought the bike to try and get advice.

Good luck, hope youre on the road soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 safesecure.ie

A little off topic but if you're spending a few quid on a bike you should check out the biketowork.ie scheme (Im just guessing you're employed)

I've done it for a few people in my place and they've saved a fortune, especially if you're on the higher tax band

Best of Luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Thanks guys, that bike looks great. It gives me a jumping off point to be going on with anyway.

Where's Halfords? I don't seem to be able to find a store guide on the website. I think I'll go for the let-them-build-it option...the carnage of my trying to build a bike isn't worth thinking about.

Safesecure - I AM employed but I'm freelance so what I do doesn't meet the requirements on that website. Thanks for the tip anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Ok this probably a better fit for the cycling forum but...

Where do you anticipate cycling? If its roads and cycle paths mainly then a good hybrid is the way to go. This is essentially a nice light frame with big thin wheels for speed but a nice upright riding position. A trip to Hollingsworth (or nearest local bike shop) is a good idea but you can buy a nice hybrid starting at around 350 quid- Giant CRS for example. The Trek 7fx series are also a pretty sweet range!

If you antipate trail riding (bumps ahoy) then look at a hardtail mountainbike which would come with front suspension and smaller wheels than a hybrid. Again if you're not expecting bumpy cycles then skip the suspension- as its heavy to carry around. Again my commuter bike (usually 10km each way) is a Trek Hardtail MTB with slicks and if I could ditch the suspension I really would.

Under no circumstances go to Halfords. Those bikes are a false economy and I simply wouldn't trust those components at high speed adjacent to fast moving traffic. A bike is an investment as you said so spend 350+ and you won't regret it. Local bike shop should do you a good deal and put the thing together for you so at least you know its working when you take out on the road first.

Great time of year to cycle- you won't regret it!

I would also advise a small/local bike shop over Halfords.

Actually, I'd rather buy a bicycle from a joke shop than Halfords. You'll get nothing but hassle and they're never around to fix or help with anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

A mod could kindly move this to the cycling forum where much more knowledgable guys can give ideas?

Please note that the Apollo range aren't the greatest in Halfords however their Carerra range are much more reasonable.

As you're likely to cycling on roads you don't need front suspension and if you do end up buying a mountain bike get them to switch the chunky/knobbly tires for road tires. Do note that mountain bikes are generally slower than roadbikes/hybrids. Don't equate this into thinking this means more of a workout, it'll more likely turn into I hate cycling this pos as hybrids and racers whizz by :)

Before going out and buying a bike can you not continue borrowing your friends one so you can make a better call on whether you'll use it long term? It's just that many people buy bikes and next thing you know it's in the garage gathering dust.

Also, if you live in Dublin and intend on going out and about you'll have to factor in the little extra prices: a good lock (kryptonite d lock, roughly 30e I think, do not buy a cable lock they can be cut through in 2 seconds flat), probably mudguards, puncture repair kit and pump.

Finally I'd prefer to see if the lads in the cycle forum can recommend a good "local bike shop" over Halfords where some spotty teenager will just throw you on whatever bike you want as opposed to someone who will take the time to 'fit' you on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Firstly, if this is in the wrong forum, apologies - mods, feel free to move it to a more appropriate place.

No worries. Bit of a bewildering array of forums these days. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@Mammanabammana: you're asking for shop recommendations but don't give a location.

Suggest you go into a few local shops and ask the staff, then come back here if you have specific questions.

You don't need suspension unless you're going off-road. Other than that, the main choice is between a flat bar and drop bar bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

If you're eligible, the bike-to-work scheme might be useful to you:

- http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/BikeToWork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Edit typo:
    Lumen wrote: »
    You don't need suspension if you're not going off-road.

Thanks guys, that bike looks great. It gives me a jumping off point to be going on with anyway.

Where's Halfords? I don't seem to be able to find a store guide on the website. I think I'll go for the let-them-build-it option...the carnage of my trying to build a bike isn't worth thinking about.

Safesecure - I AM employed but I'm freelance so what I do doesn't meet the requirements on that website. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Here is the link to Store Locator: http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/storelocator_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_langId_-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

squod wrote: »
    Makes two of us. Absolutely fell in love with it years ago.

If anyones considering a bad boy for commuting, Id recommend the 700 or the bad boy 8 with the hub gear. Or any model with 700c wheels.

There was one on this forum going for €200 not so long ago. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    I bought a bike from halfords and i have no complaints the guys in both the Swords and Coolock are very good. the apollo bikes in there are not great but everything else is fine they have a good sale on there Raleigh ladies town bikes at the moment.
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_744955_langId_-1_categoryId_212377
    Maybe some thing like this if it is for just around town. I presume you are female.
    Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

Hey, make sure you don't get anything with a shimano nexus 8 speed hub gear. You'll never rediscover the love of cycling with one of those. They're terribly inefficient and feel like the brake is constantly rubbing pretty hard. I've heard the 7 speed version is better, and alfine too but haven't used them. I have used SRAM 7 speed hubs and they roll really nicely like a regular cassette free hub. Even Sturmey archer geared hubs roll well until they fall apart (from my experience).

On another note why not check this out- it's not unlike one of the early suggestions on this thread but with a higher spec-

http://adverts.ie/218882

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Alfine runs fine. Ive heard some good things about Nexus too - maybe you got a dodgy one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Burgess5

Before you buy can I suggest you try a few different types of bikes - mountain bike, racer, hybrid, old fashioned high nelly etc. Borrow a friends. Ask around there are 1,000s of bikes lying unused in sheds and garages around the country.
    Alternatively why not hire a bike for a day or two.
    First thing is to decide what type of bike you want, then you can consider what model to buy, how much you can afford etc.
    Elsewhere on this site you will find plenty of warnings against bargain bikes on offer in supermarkets etc. Happy cycling.

I have an Apollo bike and have no complaints, sturdy easy to change gear, great disc brakes and comfortable so I guess its a matter of personal choice ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Just basically looking for suggestions. I want to get myself a bicycle. I used to love cycling and I want to get back into it, because I enjoy it but also because I need to have a close look at my fitness and diet (I went out for a spin on a borrowed bike a couple of weeks ago and after less then a mile on the flat I was wheezing - it wasn't pretty!). I need to start getting myself in shape and I want to lose 2 to 3 stone by september while also easing myself into a healther lifestyle. I don't think going on a crash diet will achieve anything in the long term.
    Can you commute to work/college on your bike? This is a great way to fit your exercise into your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

See this is why I love boards...there's a ton of stuff here that I never even thought of but which I've given a fair amount of rumination to in the meantime. Unless I have a very clear idea about how and when I'm gonna use it, I'm just the type of person who'd be like "I wanna buy a bike" and within 2 weeks it'll have taken up permanent residency in the bike storage room in my apartment building.

Anyhoo, as it happens, my brother (whose bike I borrowed there a couple of weeks ago) hasn't used his bike for a couple of years so he's happy just to give it to me, thusly saving me the couple of hundred quid I was gonna spend - happy days. He doesn't need it any more and it's a decent machine (sorry I don't have enough technical knowledge to share the exact type with you - it's a sturdy enough mountain bike style vehicle which I'll be using mainly on the flat). He hasn't used it for about 2 years so I'll bring it into a bike shop near me to give it a once over to make sure the tyres, brakes etc are all up to speed. And then I'll be on my way.

Looking forward to it now! Thanks everyone for the tips and pointers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

cyco wrote: »
    Hey, make sure you don't get anything with a shimano nexus 8 speed hub gear. You'll never rediscover the love of cycling with one of those. They're terribly inefficient and feel like the brake is constantly rubbing pretty hard. I've heard the 7 speed version is better, and alfine too but haven't used them. I have used SRAM 7 speed hubs and they roll really nicely like a regular cassette free hub. Even Sturmey archer geared hubs roll well until they fall apart (from my experience).

On another note why not check this out- it's not unlike one of the early suggestions on this thread but with a higher spec-

http://adverts.ie/218882

I don't know where you get your info. I have a Nexus 8 on my bike and haven't experienced all the problems you are suggesting. Maybe possible that your bike is not is good working order or poorly maintained, but that's not a good reason to slag off a perfectly good product... I would suggest you look up some discussion on the Nexus hub, I hear www.google.com is useful.

BTW, I have used some Dura-Ace that weren't great, but I wouldn't advise you never to touch them/they will ruin your life/your love of cycling will be destroyed forever :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I don't know where you get your info. I have a Nexus 8 on my bike and haven't experienced the problems you are suggesting. Maybe possible that your bike is not is good working order or poorly maintained, but that's not a good reason to slag off a perfectly good product... I would suggest you look up some discussion on the Nexus hub, I hear www.google.com is useful.

From what I've read, as a general rule more gears = less efficiency with hubs, and some gears are dramatically more efficient than others. Apparently the 1:1 ratio of any given hub is actually more efficient than a derailleur system.

For these reasons I reckon a three speed with a well-chosen 1:1 gear for the flat could be quite appealing.

Advertisement