Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 some "experience"

Options
  • 06-05-2010 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I changed from Meteor to 02 last month just as a result of getting a new phone. Most networks offer this free text offer meaning if you top up by 20 quid a month you get charged slightly higher for calls but free texts to any network. With Meteor when your month was up your free texts were disabled and when you topped up your free texts were activated again.

With 02 i presumed this would continue as when i signed up i received a text saying I signed up to a new plan. After a month my free texts disabled and I topped up two days later presuming my free texts would be activated again. For the last two days I have been texting presuming they were free to my disbelief I looked at my balance and it was down to 11 euro.

I rang 02 and they said you have to top up by 20 quid on the day your month elapsed. I did not receive any text messages saying I had to top up on this particular day . So I rang customer care and they said that I was still been charged the higher price of 35cent and 13 cents for texts as I had not topped up on the correct day.

In summary I was been charged a higher price for calls despite not receiving the benefit of free texts. Any way of dealing with this? I know its only 9 quid but Im a student and had to feel like Im getting ripped off

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Maybe contact Paddy or Daryll from O2 here on boards? (Their usernames are Talk2O2: Paddy and Talk2O2: Daryll)

The terms of the free offer says it can take up to 48 hours from the time of topping up for the offer to come into effect. Why, I don't know since from experience with Vodafone and Meteor it would come into effect almost immediately - go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭inbodwetrust

Kensington wrote: »
    Maybe contact Paddy or Daryll from O2 here on boards? (Their usernames are Talk2O2: Paddy and Talk2O2: Daryll)

The terms of the free offer says it can take up to 48 hours from the time of topping up for the offer to come into effect. Why, I don't know since from experience with Vodafone and Meteor it would come into effect almost immediately - go figure!

Thanks for the reply

The cynic in me would lean towards the idea that there is a commercial reason behind the 48 hour delay. They shouldnt be able to charge calls at a higher rate while at the same time you cant avail of free texts.

It has got me so annoyed I think Im going to change networks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

Same thing happens to me too and I also get no warning/reminder to top up before X or I will lose my free texts, very annoying for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Happened to me too, no notification, 48 hours etc etc. Try turning on & off your phone, this worked for me the last time i was late topping up. Also set a reminder on your phone for every 4 weeks to top up as this will give you 2 days notice before your 30 days expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I changed from Meteor to 02 last month just as a result of getting a new phone. Most networks offer this free text offer meaning if you top up by 20 quid a month you get charged slightly higher for calls but free texts to any network. With Meteor when your month was up your free texts were disabled and when you topped up your free texts were activated again.

With 02 i presumed this would continue as when i signed up i received a text saying I signed up to a new plan. After a month my free texts disabled and I topped up two days later presuming my free texts would be activated again. For the last two days I have been texting presuming they were free to my disbelief I looked at my balance and it was down to 11 euro.

Bit harsh of me to say but your assumptions and presumptions were your main problems. You should have read the O2 Terms and Conditions / Contract when signing up. O2 are not Meteor and they are not Vodafone. I guarantee you all three companies have different terms and conditions, although some may overlap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement