Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old dunnes stores sarsfield street

Options
  • 06-05-2010 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

just passed what was the old dunnes stores sarsfield street and what an eyesore it is. It has just been there untouched for the best part of 3/4 years now with apparently nothing in the pipeline for that building, surely something could be done with or do dunnes stores hold the leashold and just dont care and leave it to go into further decline. i have contacted limerick city council concerning this matter but no reply. this building i think could have potential in some capacity.:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭sioda

Dunnes are holding it so as not to allow any competition ie M&S get into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Also the smell from under the arch is repulsive. I think junkies have been sleeping there (Urinating aand everything else also) Oh even thinking of the smell makes me want to throw up...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055843281&page=6

We mentioned it on here only a few weeks ago, Dunnes is a eyesore.

Good for you to email city council about it, I wander will you get a reply?

Its not really their fault though, Dunnes I would blame.
    They just wanted a dunnes on every street, & shopping centre in Limerick, to keep out everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055843281&page=6

We mentioned it on here only a few weeks ago, Dunnes is a eyesore.

Good for you to email city council about it, I wander will you get a reply?

Its not really their fault though, Dunnes I would blame.
    They just wanted a dunnes on every street, & shopping centre in Limerick, to keep out everyone else.

I would give City Council their fair share of the blame too. It was them who granted planning permission for that huge Dunnes on Henry St. Did they really think Dunnes were going to keep two stores open in such close proximity to each other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

im sure the council could get a cpo(compulsary purchase order) for it.

anyway i remember hearing years ago that roches own the property and dunnes where only leasing it from them. maybe there is a 30 year lease or something interfering with any other development

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

I would give City Council their fair share of the blame too. It was them who granted planning permission for that huge Dunnes on Henry St. Did they really think Dunnes were going to keep two stores open in such close proximity to each other?

They hardly granted permission to Dunnes to build that complex, surely, it was a developer that applied for and build it, Dunnes would only be the tennants.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭manna452121

When the council gave permission they did not seem to care about the trucks that had to reverse down the main steet to make deliveries and also at Henry st shop they still have problems with cars parked in the loading bays.I wonder who approved the plans?

When the council gave permission they did not seem to care about the trucks that had to reverse down the main steet to make deliveries and also at Henry st shop they still have problems with cars parked in the loading bays.I wonder who approved the plans?

I presume it would be an bord pleanala would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Whatever the exact details of the planning process, it is obvious that the city council had no long term plan for the sustainable development of the city and probably just wanted their big brown bag of moola, and hang the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pebbletroy

after e mailing the city council and getting nowhere,by the way they were on strike on friday so there was no answering of phones etc! I really want to find out what the f*** is going to happen with that brown pile of nondescript crap, any suggestions, i have been on dunnes stores website and all i can find is a generic e mail address which i know will not be of any good. Either get rid of the mess or do something about it- i just hate the bloody thing!

• Advertisement

Try one of the newspapers limerick leader or post.
    You could always try willy o'dea, ;) his clinic times around the city in one of the newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

This is not the first time that site has been left derelict. Long before Dunnes took occupancy it was also a derelict building where many many years ago a company called Stokes & McKearns were based. The vacant site achieved some notoriety back in the '70s when there were rumours of it being haunted...a lady in blue was meant to have been seen on a number of occasions by security personnel who looked after the place. It's current position is probably down to the economic situation and the poor property values.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Noticed a new shop/small supermarket opening up directly across from there, think it was where the paint shop/ drycleaners/nokia place was.
    Years since anything was open on that street!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

Saw that yesterday. There's big poster of a child drinking a smoothie (I think!). Maybe it's a juice bar? Odd location.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

phill106 wrote: »
    Noticed a new shop/small supermarket opening up directly across from there, think it was where the paint shop/ drycleaners/nokia place was.
    Years since anything was open on that street!
    Strange choice of location. Not much footfall around there and there are empty units either side of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Gather a few hundred limerick people get big rocks, and literally plow dunnes out of there. Greed needs to go and so does the dereliction. It's a disgrace to have such an eyesore shabby disgusting building right on the gateway into the city from the riverside. It's absolutely unacceptable.

If anyone gets a bulldozer I will be happy to take part. I'm serious. Enough is enough.

postdarwin wrote: »
    Saw that yesterday. There's big poster of a child drinking a smoothie (I think!). Maybe it's a juice bar? Odd location.

Polish shop by the looks of it. Had writing in a foreign language there

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

mysterious wrote: »
    literally plow dunnes out of there

Eh, Dunnes left ages ago. That's kinda the problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

so noone know who owns it?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

I never really took any notice of the building to be honest, it was only in the last few weeks I noticed how bad it looked, its such a pity as well. The city is starting to look alot nicer over the last few years yet this hidious building welcomes people to the city. It a shame really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Its like a big "Welcome to Limerick, Home of the Derelict City Centre! Marvel at the wonder that is the not-quite-started opera centre! Admire the asylum seeker begging for change from stopped traffic as you sit on the steps of the defunct Dunnes Stores! See the city in the evening (you will be the only one there).

Love Limerick, Just saw the market for the first time since it was finished, Now that is nice. Real eye opener for what can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Polish shop by the looks of it. Had writing in a foreign language there

Is that not the old Falks' Lighting shop you're thinking of?

There is a new polish shop in falks and another one on the corner of liddy st, near tourist office back of penneys.

I think Dunnes own the site they just want no one else coming into limerick. As i have seen in the paper they are responsible for removing graffiti. There should be made do something with it, although the other dunnes in town seems to be doing badly, quite empty drapery dept and never very many people in there.

Don't forget their other eyesore on o'connell street.

Advertisement