Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salmon and seatrout fishing thread

Options
  • 06-05-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

thought id start a thread on here for salmon and seatrout fishing.
    for people to share info

runs seem to be picking up on the blackwater according to blackwater lodge site,anyone fish it regularly on here? interested in the cappoquin clubs water.. drowes seems to be flying plenty being caught

still havnt landed a salmon this year,lost one on fly on the boyne on sunday after 10 mins fight i was gutted!!,hooked it on thrid cast,nothing for the next 4 hours :( ,am looking for more information on the boyne if anyone fishes it for salmon.

anyone had better luck so far this season?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

carrowmore is going well and a few in delphi i hear pretty quite elsewhere probably could do with a bit of fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

drowes doing good.....despite the water levels, fish still being landed in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

a little fresh water would be welcome in most places,drowes seems to be flying at the mo,so fresh water could be great numbers in.
    hoping to get up at the start of june.

aparenly seatrout are being taken in estuary on east coast off wexford and on up north aswell,so a flood could bring them in.

seen a couple of salmon making their way up my local river when we got a little bit of water last week,river is closed still.

had a couple of salmon parr while trout fishing the aughrim river wicklow for trout,,good to see them after huge winter floods.

looking for info from any boyne salmon/sea-trout anglers if any on here,if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

As mentioned in another thread there seems to be a huge amount of salmon parr in my local river at the moment. Hooked one last night while fishing for brownies. The river has been closed to salmon fishing for years but you would hear of the odd one being hooked occassionally, it would be great if they were to make a proper return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Tinytony wrote: »
    As mentioned in another thread there seems to be a huge amount of salmon parr in my local river at the moment. Hooked one last night while fishing for brownies. The river has been closed to salmon fishing for years but you would hear of the odd one being hooked occassionally, it would be great if they were to make a proper return.

it all depends upon what happens to them at sea.........tinytony..........we have no control over that..........

• Advertisement

it all depends upon what happens to them at sea.........tinytony..........we have no control over that..........

True, but at least there seems to be an increased number spawning on the river this year so hopefully it will in turn be reflected in greater numbers returning in a few years time.

How do they monitor the levels of salmon in a water system?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

All quiet in Connemara at the moment. We could do with a continuous downpour for a week to fill the rivers and lakes around here!:D

Carrowmore is fishing well, but then again its only a short distance to the sea.

Although that said, i have not seen any fish on the tidal pools either??
    Is there something up at sea? :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

All quiet in west cork, need days of rain at this stage.

True, but at least there seems to be an increased number spawning on the river this year so hopefully it will in turn be reflected in greater numbers returning in a few years time.

yes i do agree very good to see, i do think that there is a bit of improvement, lets hope if stocks recover that they are protected and not raped like they were before, what i mean i once saw one guy getting 8 salmon in one pool on the upper Moy in one evening....and the 8 fish ended up in the boot of his car!, sadly he was a local man too. if that type of crap starts again kiss good bye to them fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Several methods. Fish counters. Redd counts. Electrofishing. Logbook returns from anglers. All feed into the scientists estimates of the numbers of salmon returning to spawn.

• Advertisement

yes i do agree very good to see, i do think that there is a bit of improvement, lets hope if stocks recover that they are protected and not raped like they were before, what i mean i once saw one guy getting 8 salmon in one pool on the upper Moy in one evening....and the 8 fish ended up in the boot of his car!, sadly he was a local man too. if that type of crap starts again kiss good bye to them fish.

reminds me of a conversation I had with a fella on the river last year.

I met him by the riverbank and we were doing the usual chit chat, when he came out with this gem:

" the river is gone to sh1t, there's no fish in it, my brother took 13 fish here one evening a few months back and now I can hardly get a rise"

:mad:

great input lads keep it up!
    day off tommorow,off down to fish the nore,i hear it is pretty slow down there but no better way to spend the day!
    il post how i get on.
    anyone have fishing planned this week?

have not been salmon fishing yet...still after the browns.....i will stay after them and give the salmon a try in June/July when me off to the Galway weir for a few days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

According the website, Waterville is producing a nice few fish including the seatrout record having been broken there again last Sunday - a 12lb 13 oz beauty! :D

Must treat myself to a day out there soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

cj salmon wrote: »
    great input lads keep it up!
    day off tommorow,off down to fish the nore,i hear it is pretty slow down there but no better way to spend the day!
    il post how i get on.
    anyone have fishing planned this week?

howd you get on? what part of the nore you fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

SeaFields wrote: »
    According the website, Waterville is producing a nice few fish including the seatrout record having been broken there again last Sunday - a 12lb 13 oz beauty! :D

Must treat myself to a day out there soon ;)

I have a boat booked for the first WE of June ! Can't wait !

BoarHunter wrote: »
    I have a boat booked for the first WE of June ! Can't wait !

Not as if you need reminding or anything but let us know how you go!! :D

howd you get on? what part of the nore you fishing?

fshed all day on the thomastown clubs water,from bout a mile down from the town all the way to the end of their water at dysart castle area,only saw one salmon,not so much as a pull,run has been poor so far according to locals,couple of fish landed further downstream at inistioge i think.
    beautiful water ,perfect for the fly,hope to get back down when the run picks up.

for trout fishers,there was an abundance of trout rising steadily from 12 to 3 o clock on their water ,large olives i think they were feeding on,seen some good fish in the deeper pools,i think trout price is 20 for the day,well worth a trip,and there was only one other rod there salmon fishing.but it was a wednesday in fairness .

so to recap.
    no. salmon taken so far..0....:(
    ah well,couple of days planned this month,,a few on the boyne(closest open river),2 days on the drowes.so a bit of luck and maybe some rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

cj salmon wrote: »
    fshed all day on the thomastown clubs water,from bout a mile down from the town all the way to the end of their water at dysart castle area,only saw one salmon,not so much as a pull,run has been poor so far according to locals,couple of fish landed further downstream at inistioge i think.
    beautiful water ,perfect for the fly,hope to get back down when the run picks up.

for trout fishers,there was an abundance of trout rising steadily from 12 to 3 o clock on their water ,large olives i think they were feeding on,seen some good fish in the deeper pools,i think trout price is 20 for the day,well worth a trip,and there was only one other rod there salmon fishing.but it was a wednesday in fairness .

so to recap.
    no. salmon taken so far..0....:(
    ah well,couple of days planned this month,,a few on the boyne(closest open river),2 days on the drowes.so a bit of luck and maybe some rain.

Ye have heard that there aint that many showing up, maybe a flood might bring up a few, heres hoping!

heres a cool website done by an angler in the thomastown/inistioge area that might help ya plan your next trip by following the fishing reports that are usually updated every couple of days.....

http://www.noresalmon.com/main_page.html

tight lines... :)

fished the drowse Tue evening and all day Wed. Very low and only a few grilse running..... not worth the effort at the moment.......off to the Corrib Friday to give it a lash for a few days.....

• Advertisement

That river I was on about is absolutely packed with salmon parr! I've had to stop fishing a few of my usual spots because I keep hooking them. Have heard no reports of anybody catching any adult ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

SeaFields wrote: »
    Not as if you need reminding or anything but let us know how you go!! :D

Just back from 2 days fishing currane and had the best fishing experience ! apart from a few one pounder sea trout & brownies, a friend of mine caught a 8 lbs 4 Oz specimen sea trout and i reeled in a 8 lbs 11 Oz salmon. Both on the fly ! I am so thrilled i witnessed the take of such a huge sea trout.
    Currane i definitly a great place. Fishing can be quiet for long periods and weather is really key in success but when you feel the TAP on the line prepare to fight.

Man you got to love Kerry !

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

......weather is really key in success....

Man you got to love Kerry !

You're so right about the weather. I was on Currane on 22nd and 23rd May, those were the two scorching hot days. Not a cloud in the sky. Only touched a couple of small sea trout.

One angler managed a 3 lb sea trout on the Sunday.

On the Saturday, we saw a white-tailed eagle soaring over the lake - a wonderful sight.

Yes, I do love Kerry - just wish it wasn't so far from Dublin!

For anyone who is interested, this blog has fishing reports of Currane, complete with photos:
    http://wwwsalmonandseatroutphotos.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

There are salmon to be had o the moy despite the poor conditions.

Fishing can be quiet for long periods and weather is really key in success but when you feel the TAP on the line prepare to fight.

Yep as you and Slasher say weather is the key there. I fished it last year for two days. Both scorchers except a spell of bad weather was due on our second day. There was a window of an hour or so between flat calm to unfishable and I hooked (and lost :() a very decent trout and my boat partner did the same. It was amazing tho....endless hours fishing without a touch and 60 mins of takes!

I must get out there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

mupchease wrote: »
    There are salmon to be had o the moy despite the poor conditions.

Me self and three mates were in foxford sat morning. Fished from 10.30 till around 2 oclock!
    5 fish landed and 6 more either lost or didn't hook up, all happened within the space of an hour!
    We were the only lads fishing worm, everyone else were either spinning or prawning and as far as i know they were the only fish caught on that stretch on the day!

So talk about luck!
    Have to admit i was the only one of the four of us that didn't land a fish but was happy for the lads, one of which landed his first salmon ever!
    So we headed to the pub at around two to celibrate and so had a great day all round!:)

Quality, well done boys had a few in the tough conditions myself with a few mates. Proves theres still fish to be had in low water and hot weather!

well done,thats a day and a half ,in very tough conditions ;),havnt been out in a while now ,over night rain tonight should bring on a nice flood on my local,hopefully get a few seatrout to run,as they are being caught by beach casters!!!! looking forward to having a look when it drops.
    this rain might bring the salmon into the nore also.

good luck to anyone fishing this week!!!!

Nice one! The Nore though! Thats a bit optimisstic!

• Advertisement

shblob wrote: »
    Nice one! The Nore though! Thats a bit optimisstic!

not really.........

Advertisement