Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salmon and seatrout fishing thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Good luck so, and let us know how you get on. Hopefully you'll have some pics of nice fish off the Nore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

shblob wrote: »
    Good luck so, and let us know how you get on. Hopefully you'll have some pics of nice fish off the Nore.

not me i will be heading for the moy friday........

If I wasn't doing the leaving I'd be doing exactly the same as you for a few days!! Can't wait til after Im gonna go down for a week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭cbrjohnthou

the bit of rain seems to be putting a bit of a stir on the sea trout around wexford, already a few spotted in Boro dale so if the rain keeps up they should be in the smaller rivers in no time. The fishin has been absolutely brutal around wexford for the last 3 years or so but I'm hopin this year will see a turn around. There is still a ban on the Salmon on the river slaney but we can fish the sea trout. Don't know if the ban was a good or bad idea cause the rivers were still being netted illegally on regular occasions. I havn't been to the river yet but will do in the next week or two, I'll post my outcome:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭cbrjohnthou

not me i will be heading for the moy friday........

fishin is great on the Moy at the minute, cousin landed 3 salmon last wednesday, best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

hearing great news on the seatout front,there coming in force in wicklow/wexford :),
    the drop of rain seems to have done it,and thats on small rivers so same story most places i reckon

nothing landed tonight,my mate hooked and lost a seatrout,saw 7 fish pass the weir in 15 mins.our river is back to life :D:D

Cracking - Good to see the seatrout ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Lads just back from foxford, Lost a fish first thing this morning, which turned out to be the only pull i got all day!
    Didn't see one fish landed, and no sign of any fresh water in the river!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Went on my first seatrout session of the year last night. Plenty of fish in the river but none would touch a thing. Stayed til about 2am without a touch and tried several different methods. The water may have been slightly coloured after.

• Advertisement

Eddie B wrote: »
    Lads just back from foxford, Lost a fish first thing this morning, which turned out to be the only pull i got all day!
    Didn't see one fish landed, and no sign of any fresh water in the river!

water badly needed for the moy... i was going to give it a try this week but it has been too low..........fecking sun.........:mad:

5 fish landed on the catherdral beat. 3 by one angler. 3lb,6lb,10lb. 3lb was released

more rain needed in the east,a good flood to freshen things up,there was a couple of fish taken on the nore

on the galway weir later this week....there are a few grilse about :D:D

Was crossing Patricks bridge in Cork city over the weekend - there was about a hundred seatrout below the bridge around the 1/2 lbs mark and a couple of about 2-3lbs. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

shblob wrote: »
    5 fish landed on the catherdral beat. 3 by one angler. 3lb,6lb,10lb. 3lb was released

Shblob,

Strange how good news gets around so quickly.

That angler was me. Great days fishing, all on fly with another fish lost and two missed. I will be back on the Cathedral Beat again this Sunday again. Anyone else going to be around the Moy this weekend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Shblob,

Strange how good news gets around so quickly.

That angler was me. Great days fishing, all on fly with another fish lost and two missed. I will be back on the Cathedral Beat again this Sunday again. Anyone else going to be around the Moy this weekend ?

Couple of mates headin down tomorrow! Gonna stay 4 a couple a days if its fishin!

I think i'll wait and see how there gettin on, before i decide whether to go down or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Tinytony wrote: »
    As mentioned in another thread there seems to be a huge amount of salmon parr in my local river at the moment. Hooked one last night while fishing for brownies. The river has been closed to salmon fishing for years but you would hear of the odd one being hooked occassionally, it would be great if they were to make a proper return.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Just heard this morning there was a massive slurry spill on a tributary of the river, and that the salmon and trout on the tributary have been wiped out, and obviously the slurry will filter down into the main river, and with waterlevels being so low this could turn out to be a massive disaster just when things were starting to look good again.

Sorry to hear that Tony. That's a balls altogether. Im sure prosecutions will follow :rolleyes:

I got my first seatrout of the year last night and follow him up with a second! Happy days. Lost the biggest trout of the evening and he felt like a very nice trout. :(

well done,,,,,,alot of fish holding in the lower part of our river and being poached by local idiots :mad::mad:.fisheries baliffs and the garda are doing patrols,you wouldnt believe the stuff that goes down on our little river in this day in age. havent been out much,but an all night session is due soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

rain at last to give this parched thread life! roll on the weekend....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

fisherking wrote: »
    rain at last to give this parched thread life! roll on the weekend....

not enough .

more forecast for today,i hope it comes our river is falling already from a small rise,,,same elsewhere???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

cj salmon wrote: »
    more forecast for today,i hope it comes our river is falling already from a small rise,,,same elsewhere???
    yea level dropping quickly now,was out for a couple of hours after lunch got 3 small sea trout all released.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

yeah feck all rain in the end....the only fish gettin over the weirs are flying fish

slight colour in the boro to nite

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Connemara rivers in flood yesterday, lots of salmon and sea trout running. Huge numbers in some areas according to counter figures I heard. Just my luck I bust my thumb yesterday and can't cast! :mad:
    More rain forecast tomorrow night and next week, hopefully enough to top up the lakes and keep rivers steady for a wee while...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

Anyone notice the first east coast sea trout this year have much better average size than usual, even for early runners.

J. Ramone wrote: »
    Anyone notice the first east coast sea trout this year have much better average size than usual, even for early runners.

i was in borodale last nite the trout landed were small .

• Advertisement

was on the moy for a few days recently....my god the grilse are very small again this year....1-2lbs!!!!!!!!!....hopefully better fish will come when the water rises more......here's hoping....an awful lot of bull**** been spoken in tackle shops and pubs about "the amount of fish"

Advertisement