Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salmon and seatrout fishing thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

....an awful lot of bull**** been spoken in tackle shops and pubs about "the amount of fish"

Every single year on every single river since I started salmon fishing 35 years ago I have listened to "other people's" optimistic estimations of how many fish are in the pools, or in the estuary waiting to run, or seen running during the fresh and will be taking as soon as the waterlevels drop. Dreams and hopes.

It's part of salmon fishing. But rarely based in reality.

You need an accurate friend, with an objective mind. An angler who can catch when they are there, and knows when they are not, and who keeps a diary for accurate comparison with the same week for at least 5 previous seasons.
    Without such a friend available, use your own diary from 300 miles away, once rain reports are taken allowed for, it's much more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

coolwings wrote: »
    Every single year on every single river since I started salmon fishing 35 years ago I have listened to "other people's" optimistic estimations of how many fish are in the pools, or in the estuary waiting to run, or seen running during the fresh and will be taking as soon as the waterlevels drop. Dreams and hopes.

It's part of salmon fishing. But rarely based in reality.

You need an accurate friend, with an objective mind. An angler who can catch when they are there, and knows when they are not, and who keeps a diary for accurate comparison with the same week for at least 5 previous seasons.
    Without such a friend available, use your own diary from 300 miles away, once rain reports are taken allowed for, it's much more reliable.

all too true i have been listening to it for years...in one ear and out the other......but as someone once said we have to listen to thunder....so draw your own conclusions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

You should have been here this morning, yesterday, last week etc etc...

As above, draw your own conclusions if reliable information is not to hand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Still no heavy rain in the southwest all rivers are very low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

our little river was poached ,all or most trout gone from the pools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

whats that stuff falling from the sky????? much rain in the north west,,if the drowes rises i think il be heading that a ways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

drowes. ewwww. The Moy is the way forward :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Lads the moy is on the rise! Anyone who is available to get on the Moy over the next few days, please do!
    Don't miss the opportunity, should be plenty of fish on the move!!!!;)

i'll be there soooooon! can't wait. there are plenty of fish running everyday! but a good flood will deffinately be the big one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Tinytony wrote: »
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just heard this morning there was a massive slurry spill on a tributary of the river, and that the salmon and trout on the tributary have been wiped out, and obviously the slurry will filter down into the main river, and with waterlevels being so low this could turn out to be a massive disaster just when things were starting to look good again.
    Fcuk sake, it never ends... :(

• Advertisement

shblob wrote: »
    i'll be there soooooon! can't wait. there are plenty of fish running everyday! but a good flood will deffinately be the big one.
    Have a few friends down there since yesterday! Have a couple of fish in the bag already!
    They said the river has already risen in the last couple of hours, and its pissin down since around three today!
    There expecting a good run of fish in the morning with all the fresh water!
    I'll let yee know how they got on tomorrow!

Wish i was there!:(

I'll be there from sometime mon-wed for a few days. Can't wait, hope the water clears for the time I'm there after the fresh water! I was there last week and when the water goes up it drops back VERY quickly!

I'll be there from sometime mon-wed for a few days. Can't wait, hope the water clears for the time I'm there after the fresh water! I was there last week and when the water goes up it drops back VERY quickly!

I recon tue or wed would be ideal timing!
    Let us know how ya get on!;)

will do. had a few the last few days i was down.

lets hope there biting this morning

The lads landed two fish this morning in foxford, missed another couple of fish! Reports of a lot of fish landed in Ballina yesterday evening!
    The water has coloured up badly so might be unfishable for the rest of the day!

When the river clears up a bit your nearly guaranteed good fishing so anyone that has the time, or is on hollidays from work, should get down there now instead of waiting to hear that there,s fish being caught, go down the next day, catch nothing, and lads coming up to you all day saying You should have been here yesterday!

fishing bad this morning .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

jwshooter wrote: »
    fishing bad this morning .
    same as that was out at 5 30 waste of time

mp22 wrote: »
    same as that was out at 5 30 waste of time

out at 4.30 good flood in ,but it was on the drop .

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Hlanaayes

Had started my own thread but this seems to be the correct place.

Spent the day out fishing the Mulcair in Limerick. So I made it out at 2 p.m. (much later than I planned but I slept it out!). Much to my delight the river was in great nick. It was at least 1m higher than the last time I was out(about a month ago) and 5ft. is probably closer. There's was a decent current running through the holding pools, with a savage current everywhere else. I used worm all day long. I got a small bite early on but went for him too early and he was gone. He seemed to be small anyway whatever it was. Moments before I was lucky to see an otter bang in the middle of the river, breaching the surface with his catch. He had a nice size fish but was too far away to make out what he had - going by the size I'd say a salmon though. My only catch of the day was a medium sized eel, around 40-45cm. I've never caught or eaten one before so I took him out and will clean and fry him later (my gf is disgusted!).

I was very pleased with the conditions and will try and make it out another couple of times during the week.

• Advertisement

Went out for a hour this evening hooked a fish, but the line broke,just about stopped myself throwing the rod into the river:mad::mad:.

you should use suitable line :P

you should use suitable line :P
    Would that be fishing line??:cool:

metal wire would hold better :P

what line do you use? and was it a salmon that broke you?

Yea it was a salmon,line 15 lb daiwa tournament monofil,I only had him hooked for 20 or 30 seconds,god knows what size he was.

nah 15lb would never snap on you unless it was damaged somewhere, or if it was a bad know. You should try 50lb braid. It's great stuff for salmon fishing.

I use 12lb breaking strain for salmon!
    I've never lost a fish in my life due to a fish snapping the line!
    Once you have the drag set properly, this should never happen!

Of course you should change the line at least once a year!;)

you could get away with 6lb if you know how to play fish properly with the rod/drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

15lb maxima ultra-green is an excellent line for salmon worm/shrimp fishing... a horse wouldnt be able to break 15lb maxima!! change the mono every year, maybe more often if the line is used a lot....25lb braid for spinning...braid is lighter and easier to cast longer distance ideal for larger rivers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

salmon running in huge numbers on a local river after that rain (witnessed not rumour),,great to see it,,apparently a couple grilse landed by accident by sea trout fishers,,,this river could be open in a couple years at this rate!!! :D

Advertisement