Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salmon and seatrout fishing thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

shblob wrote: »
    nah 15lb would never snap on you unless it was damaged somewhere, or if it was a bad know. You should try 50lb braid. It's great stuff for salmon fishing.
    yea damaged all along the line took a very close look at the line guide on the bale arm the line had cut into the metal and this was doing wreck,line and reel in the bin!
    Braid, I have a reel with 50 pound on it i just don't like it for river fishing.
    Went to killarney this morning and got a reel in argos a shimano 6000ra
    will give it a go later this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Lads the official figures for salmon caught at the boxes in Ballina yesterday was 475! Yes 475! This was on the cards lads, and today the big run hit Foxford!
    Just got word from the lads, and they had a field day!
    They all got fish, most landed their 3 fish limit, and one was back in the b&b by 8AM!
    Christ i wish i was there!
    If any of yee are off tomorrow, go fishing!!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Eddie B wrote: »
    Lads the official figures for salmon caught at the boxes in Ballina yesterday was 475! Yes 475! This was on the cards lads, and today the big run hit Foxford!
    Just got word from the lads, and they had a field day!
    They all got fish, most landed their 3 fish limit, and one was back in the b&b by 8AM!
    Christ i wish i was there!
    If any of yee are off tomorrow, go fishing!!!!;)

i heard from Ballina the figure was closer to 300....anyway hard to get accurate figures when such a high catch...it sure was wholesale slaughter with many 'anglers' catching above their 3 limit but some others did not exceed the limit... but one guy had 14-16 all killed and into the boot of the car...conservation...conservation what is that? is that a glass yoke on the back of your house??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

i heard from Ballina the figure was closer to 300....anyway hard to get accurate figures when such a high catch...it sure was wholesale slaughter with many 'anglers' catching above their 3 limit but some others did not exceed the limit... but one guy had 14-16 all killed and into the boot of the car...conservation...conservation what is that? is that a glass yoke on the back of your house??

Totally agree! Greed is an awfull pastime!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

what did the western fisheries board officer/s say when it was reported .

• Advertisement

jwshooter wrote: »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jwshooter wrote: »

Seeing as the Moy is not in the Western area, I'd say he said feck all....

http://www.northwestfisheries.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Hi lads,
    Wwill be down at the house on the Barrow for a few days and was going to hit the Nore for some first time Salmon fishing.
    Any of you have much experience fishing it?
    I was planning on heading to Inistioge.

are all the stretches controlled by local clubs? if so can I buy a day ticket?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Zzippy wrote: »
    Seeing as the Moy is not in the Western area, I'd say he said feck all....

http://www.northwestfisheries.ie/

what ever fisheries board , if the so called sportsmen dont start been proactive in there sport there eventually be no sport to be active in.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

zacmorris wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    Wwill be down at the house on the Barrow for a few days and was going to hit the Nore for some first time Salmon fishing.
    Any of you have much experience fishing it?
    I was planning on heading to Inistioge.

are all the stretches controlled by local clubs? if so can I buy a day ticket?

Thanks in advance

day tickets available for thomastown water and killkenny anglers water,,round 25-30 a day,thomastowns is available in the fishing tackle shop in the towns square,great fly water,bit of a late river late august september they get a run,sprinkling of fish earlier if they get a flood,but it needs a lot of water,and salmon not in the main run can be big to 20lbs,not much of a grilse run i dont think ,but dont quote me on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

cj salmon wrote: »
    day tickets available for thomastown water and killkenny anglers water,,round 25-30 a day,thomastowns is available in the fishing tackle shop in the towns square,great fly water,bit of a late river late august september they get a run,sprinkling of fish earlier if they get a flood,but it needs a lot of water,and salmon not in the main run can be big to 20lbs,not much of a grilse run i dont think ,but dont quote me on that
    Cheers for that. I'd say the water will see good rise down there at the mo with all the rain of late...Don't have a slamon fly rod, so will prob stick to the flying c's!
    will fish the Barrow lke I normally do, but I have to spend a day on the Nore, it's right beside me when down there and never bother to fish it.
    Found a cool site actually- http://www.noresalmon.com/main_page.html

big flood on there,spinning might get you a result though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Life long trout fisher but had a go for the salmon today. Have tried a few times before without much success. Today after several hours and a few missed takes I connected with this fella. A grilse of 3 or 4 lbs :)
    DSC02425-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

well done mate, what did you get him on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Thanks, a Sunray shadow. I'm in Scotland btw, my mate had one from the same pool of about 8lbs. A good day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

well done mate. :)

beautiful fish well done!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Nice fish Cuileog. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

I heard the ridge pool was like an abattoir or worse. Onlookers were pretty disgusted to see 'anglers' without priests knocking salmon off whatever they could just to get back in the water and continue fishing. Others witnessed catches 'dissapearing' in order to allow further fishing. This is not sport.

well said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

justo wrote: »
    I heard the ridge pool was like an abattoir or worse. Onlookers were pretty disgusted to see 'anglers' without priests knocking salmon off whatever they could just to get back in the water and continue fishing. Others witnessed catches 'dissapearing' in order to allow further fishing. This is not sport.

Its a pity somebody didn't get a video of that incident. Would force the fisheries boards hand into action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

justo wrote: »

That's Ireland for you, the attitude has to change. As with other things people have to start looking at long term implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

shblob wrote: »
    you could get away with 6lb if you know how to play fish properly with the rod/drag.

and if the river is perfect with no snags on the bottom, 100's of yards of clear banks to follow the fish, slow currents to play him out in and nice gravel banks to land him...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lofty95

SeaFields wrote: »
    Its a pity somebody didn't get a video of that incident. Would force the fisheries boards hand into action.

I think you are blowing it out of all proportion. It was a situation which has never happened before and is very unlikely to happen again. When have you ever seen such a long cold spell followed by a particularly dry spell in this country ?. In the grander scheme of things i think the amount of salmon caught will be balanced out over the course of the season. I wouldnt begrudge the majoirty of peoplrwho caught a salmon over that day as there were a large amount of children who caught there very first salmon , however those individuals that took way over there limit should be ashamed of themselves. It is now obvious since the netting has stopped that the netting at sea was where the majority of the damage was being done and it is also obvious by the amount of salmon being caught with net marks on them that there is a serious amount of illegal netting taking place which needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

lofty95 wrote: »
    I think you are blowing it out of all proportion. ...

You quoted me for some reason. I was making an observation of a post by justo describing the ridge pool as something "like an abattoir". If indeed that was the case then there is a justification for evidence of the incident being recorded and forwarded to the fisheries board.

sorry if i quoted the wrong person. There were fisheries officers present on that day and for a few days after

I think you are blowing it out of all proportion.

Certainly not, the truth is, and some people don’t like to hear the truth, that above the boxes a considerable amount of local ‘anglers’ were catching small grilse 1-1.5lb weight on worms and to avoid having to tag small fish they just reefed the hook out of the fish tearing flesh, gills etc and then threw the fish back to the river heavily bleeding, most of them died and floated down river belly up….i have observed this myself….now where is the sport in that behaviour? Please tell me.

Certainly not, the truth is, and some people don’t like to hear the truth, that above the boxes a considerable amount of local ‘anglers’ were catching small grilse 1-1.5lb weight on worms and to avoid having to tag small fish they just reefed the hook out of the fish tearing flesh, gills etc and then threw the fish back to the river heavily bleeding, most of them died and floated down river belly up….i have observed this myself….now where is the sport in that behaviour? Please tell me.

No sport whatsoever i agree and it was to these individuals i was referring when i spoke of those that took way over there limit. It surely is very difficult to release a salmon especially when fishing the worm due to the way they are hooked, that should have been where the fisheries officers should have intervened and made them hold on to them

• Advertisement

No sport whatsoever i agree and it was to these individuals i was referring when i spoke of those that took way over there limit. It surely is very difficult to release a salmon especially when fishing the worm due to the way they are hooked, that should have been where the fisheries officers should have intervened and made them hold on to them

ok were are not talking about anglers who fish responsibly, that goes without saying....

yes you are correct it is very hard to release a small grilse when hooked on worm.... i know i fish worms myself....in a flood the fish will more often than not will take it deep, especially on the moy .....dont mind all that rubbish you hear about people hooking them in the lips and all that bluff its total nonsense, sounds great on paper but does not happen in practise....if the fish was deep hooked i would kill it promptly and tag it not just fling it back into the river to bleed to death.

with so many small under-sized grilse why don't the fishery board, IFI, whatever they call themselves now, introduce a ban on barbed worm hooks??? so the fish could be 'released' with less harm, ah i suppose that would necessitate a bit of thinking.

Advertisement