Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salmon and seatrout fishing thread

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lofty95

ok were are not talking about anglers who fish responsibly, that goes without saying....

yes you are correct it is very hard to release a small grilse when hooked on worm.... i know i fish worms myself....in a flood the fish will more often than not will take it deep, especially on the moy .....dont mind all that rubbish you hear about people hooking them in the lips and all that bluff its total nonsense, sounds great on paper but does not happen in practise....if the fish was deep hooked i would kill it promptly and tag it not just fling it back into the river to bleed to death.

with so many small under-sized grilse why don't the fishery board, IFI, whatever they call themselves now, introduce a ban on barbed worm hooks??? so the fish could be 'released' with less harm, ah i suppose that would necessitate a bit of thinking.

Barbed hooks are banned in canada and in the us as far as i know for that very reason. Would make alot of sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Barbed hooks are banned in many places at certain times of the year. Cant see why this couldn't be extended to the entire season. Also would a bailiff realistically ask to check your hook to see if it was barbless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

lofty95 wrote: »
    Barbed hooks are banned in canada and in the us as far as i know for that very reason. Would make alot of sense

well i fished in canada a few years back and they are light years ahead of us on conservation issues, no treble hooks and only barb-less singles allowed....even spinners only have single hooks....for 10-11 foot sturgeon its single barb-less hooks and it works....ah in about 25 years time we might catch up with the rest of the world

SeaFields wrote: »
    Barbed hooks are banned in many places at certain times of the year. Cant see why this couldn't be extended to the entire season. Also would a bailiff realistically ask to check your hook to see if it was barbless?

well if they can check tags they can check hooks while they are at it.....

well if they can check tags they can check hooks while they are at it.....

Very true Ironblue, very true...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

No barbed or triple hooks on the slaney or tributaries .

every angler should have to carry and use a de hooker

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

On the rivers that are open for the fishing of Salmon you are allowed to use barbed hooks where as on the rivers that are closed for the fishing of Salmon you can only use barbless hooks for all fishing. Looks like the catching of Salmon on the open rivers is wanted by the boards!!??
    wgsten
    http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

I guess the talk of the place being like an abattoir wasnt entirely inaccurate...

An article on the numbers of salmon caught on the moy last week here

the figure of 2000 salmon was REPORTED fish caught from East Mayo water down to The Moy fishery in Ballina.....knowing the river and the anglers i would estimate the actual catch to have been a good bit higher as a considerable amount of fish are not reported..... there is a lot of water from Kilasser to Ballina!! utterly impossible to monitor it all..... indeed many times i have caught fish and not 'reported' the catch to anyone...as far as i am aware there is no obligation to do so.....i suppose when the licenses’ are returned they can establish accurate figures then, at least for the fish that were tagged that is….

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Thinking of hitting the Moy Friday / Saturday. Whats the river like at the moment does anyone know?

• Advertisement

JMB88 wrote: »
    Thinking of hitting the Moy Friday / Saturday. Whats the river like at the moment does anyone know?

dropping and clearing...the big run has tapered off a bit now but fish still pushing...river should be in good form fri/sat....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

it's tapered off, but there's one thing to keep in mind, there are thousands of fish somewhere up the system to be found :D

most of them are in conn and that is where they will stay until october

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Thats true, but there is deffinatley a lot of fish resting in pools all the way up the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Plenty of fish in the river.
    Very little caught from last Saturday through till tuesday anyway, not sure of yesterday.
    It's been put down to the high pressure and the humidity.
    Change of weather given tomorrow with lower pressure and rain which should improve things.

A lot of locals grumbling about not catching anything this week despite the amount of fish in the river. I'm surprised they have room left in their fridges/freezers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

This thread came to an abrupt end!how was lads season?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

2010 is well over :D:D

2016 was middlen Not much water only top ups in my Area ( The west ) herd it was great on the blackwater..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

What types of trout and salmon are there in Ireland, and what are the most sought after species?

I live in the US in the state of Pennsylvania. These are what our state has:

Trout:
    Brook trout, Brown trout, Rainbow trout, Golden Rainbow trout, Steelhead trout, and Lake trout

Salmon:
    Atlantic salmon, Pacific Salmon, Coho Salmon, Chinook Salmon, and Pink Salmon.

I’ve caught all trout species except for the Golden, and have only caught the Atlantic in the salmon species.

2010 is well over :D:D

2016 was middlen Not much water only top ups in my Area ( The west ) herd it was great on the blackwater..

Just started salmon fishing this year.only august sept.got 4 fish.lost a couple.rushing to get them landed.was pretty chuffed though.

Atlantic Salmon

Sea trout, Brown Trout, Charr, Brown trout, Ferox ( Basically a Large brown trout ) Also there types of Brown trout that are native to certain lakes Like Lough Melvin (google it ) There Called sonaghan, gillaroo

Theres a Few other But I forget em!

• Advertisement

geros29 wrote: »
    Just started salmon fishing this year.only august sept.got 4 fish.lost a couple.rushing to get them landed.was pretty chuffed though.

4 Is good for your first year, What were they caught on?

Amerika wrote: »
    What types of trout and salmon are there in Ireland, and what are the most sought after species?

I live in the US in the state of Pennsylvania. These are what our state has:

Trout:
    Brook trout, Brown trout, Rainbow trout, Golden Rainbow trout, Steelhead trout, and Lake trout

Salmon:
    Atlantic salmon, Pacific Salmon, Coho Salmon, Chinook Salmon, and Pink Salmon.

I’ve caught all trout species except for the Golden, and have only caught the Atlantic in the salmon species.

We only have one salmon species.the Atlantic salmon.
    As for trout we have native brown trout and sea trout which are browns that go to sea to feed.
    Also have rainbows introduced here for fisheries.
    Ferox trout.
    Prob others too but not coming to mind

4 Is good for your first year, What were they caught on?

Ya was happy enough to be honest.got em on shrimp.1 on worm.

geros29 wrote: »
    Ya was happy enough to be honest.got em on shrimp.1 on worm.

Good going only 5 for me All on the fly though.. Should give it a go next season. ;)

Good going only 5 for me All on the fly though.. Should give it a go next season. ;)

Trying to cast a shrimp is tough enough on my local river(glengarriff)not to mind a fly. Some day I would love to catch a salmon on a fly though.

Friendly hint....everyone remembered to return their 2016 licence didn't they. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

I returned mine early at the end of September as I pretty much called it a day for the year!

Advertisement