Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budgie Noise

Options
  • 06-05-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

any way to make a budgie less noisy? He's constantly talking away to himself and i was wonder if anyone ahd any tips on making him quiet some times

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

Budgies are noisy. They chat away when they are happy. I would recommend getting him a companion and putting him in a room other than the sitting room/main living area so he can chat away to his friend and it wont seem so loud. Ive mine in the kitchen so their noise doesnt bother me.

For such small birds, they sure make a lot of noise, they chat more than us women:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Totally agree with Hermit, they're noisy little creatures! We were told to drape a towel over his cage to quieten him down, he got so cross he made twice as much noise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

When mine started to bark like a dog and do rude things to his mirror, I knew it was time to get him a friend of his own kind :D

I cover the cage in the evenings.

I also provide lots of toys and seed bells, sticks for them to interact with when they are particularly noisey I stick in one of the trill toppers food which takes them longer to eat than normal seed and this keeps them busy. I think you can get these in tescos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

My budgie mimics, talks and squawks at the birds out in the garden. If a bird outside starts screeching loudly, then budgie follows suit. I usually just place a big piece of lettuce in her cage...distracts her and she can't squawk as loudly while stuffing her beak full of lettuce :p

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

If it's just in the evening when you watching telly you should get a cover for the carge as budgies don't make noise when in the dark. Just make sure the cover does block out the light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

This is perfectly normal and healthy and not meaning to sound sarky but you have to get used to it. You will get used to it, after time you'll not even notice the noise anymore.

I love the sounds of them chatting away, if you only have the one budgie do get another one to keep the bird company. Unless you are spending up to 5 to 6 hours a day one on one with your budgie it's not fair to have them on their own they are so much more clever than people think. I know another budgie will be double the noise.

If you haven't already I'd invest in a cage with castors, so you can wheel the bird from room to room. I have a cockatiel (have had budgies for years) and am sorry I didn't get the cage on castors years ago. Zooplus.co.uk sell them and they are so much cheaper than the shops.
    It's so handy for example, if someones cooking with non stick ware or the fire's lighting we can move him into another room so the same would go for your budgie, if he's getting too noisy you can pop him in another room.

That's where the budgie buddy comes in, if he's to be in another room he needs the company of another one.

I wouldn't cover a birds cage, ok in the evening some people do esp. if their bird is noisy early in the mornings but birds do need about 12 hours of daylight a day and they do need 12 hours of sleep a night this is vital (ok not exactly on the dot of 12 but you know what I mean).

Black out blinds can be great as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I agree to get him a friend. It'll make him so much happier :)
    Getting attention from people is great but you can never keep him company quite as well as one of his own kind. :) Same with most animals really

Advertisement