Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund advice

Options
  • 06-05-2010 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

I purchased around €2k worth of tiles from a tiling shop a year ago. Some of the delivery was missing & some of the tiles were broken, so I didn't pay for the tiles until I got everything that was missing or broken.

When the job was finished, I returned any unused materials & tiles and recieved 2 credit notes. Their policy is that they will refund you for anything un-used, minus a 25% re-stocking charge.

I had been chasing them for these refunds for 6 months before I eventually got a cheque for one of the credit notes, but the second one is still outstanding & they are refusing to repay me the money.

Any advice on what to do next would be much appreciated as - despite calling into the store over 10 times, numerous phonecalls & 2 letters - they still owe me just under €200 for the last year.
    :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Since you seem to have tried everything with the company, the Small Claims Court may be the only course of action left.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You mention their policy - where is that written or defined?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Unless your invoice / reciept or contract of sale explicitly states that they will accept back any unused items you really have no other recourse other than badgering them for your money.

Even if it is policy, this policy is at the discretion of the retailler and any acceptance of a product return is a gesture of good will only and not enforcable ... unless your contract states other wise.

I would seriously doubt if they would have included a clause like that in their sales documentation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Cheers for the replies. The returns policy was written on the reciept, so it looks like I'll have to try the Small Claims Court as suggested - I'm sick to death of badgering them for the money & getting nowhere.

The worst thing for them is that I do a lot of interior design for clients in the area & a lot of them have avoided buying tiles off them after I explained my hassles with them - they have lost thousands in profits as a result of a petty argument over a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Can't you try sending them a letter first, asking for the credit, reminding them that it's in their policy, and telling them that if they haven't refunded you within 14 days you'll involve the small claims court? It might be enough to get the refund without having to go through all the hassle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement