Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Image Copyright Issues

Options
  • 06-05-2010 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi I am wondering do I need to ask for permission from a website to use their logo's for a product we sell, on our website?

And can I use images from that product on our website?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If you're an authorised dealer, maybe not (it might be in the dealer contract).

Otherwise, definitely safer to ask - their logo is their property, and in using it you're creating a link and level of "endorsement", not to mention piggybacking on the fact that it's making your site look more "official".

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭moikey

Thanks alot Liam I'll get in touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

moikey wrote: »
    Hi I am wondering do I need to ask for permission from a website to use their logo's for a product we sell, on our website
    You certainly need the logo owners permission, whether that be the website or not I have no idea.

Volkswagen are particularly strict and well know for this. They will not allow motorfactors or non VW main dealers to display their name or logo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Best to get permission. Some companies are very specific about how they want their logos displayed. E.g. they might insist on whitespace around the logo which is 50% of the width and height for the horizontal and vertical borders respectively.

Advertisement