Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97... Any Good????

Options
  • 06-05-2010 9:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭

Im due an upgrade with 3 and looking at the N97. Im currently using a Samsung S5600.
    I work in the outdoor industry so the phone must be some what robust and not fall apart easily.
    I mostly use a phone for msgs and calls. but do like the GPS functions, radio/MP3 and some other applications. Id also like to be able to connect to wireless networks. Does the N97 do it???????
    Ive a question about the txting can you use it in touch screen mode to send a txt or do you have to slide it open to type the text. I usually have my phone in a waterproof case when working so need to be able to text and answer calls without the use of the slide bit.

Mostly is the phone any good? Will it go the distance????? Most phones ive had in the last few years barely last 8-12 months before they slow down or start acting up.

Any feed back would be great.

Cheers
    Paddy
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

pmccormack wrote: »
    I work in the outdoor industry so the phone must be some what robust and not fall apart easily.

It is quite strong for the design that it uses.

Id also like to be able to connect to wireless networks. Does the N97 do it???????

It does

Ive a question about the txting can you use it in touch screen mode to send a txt or do you have to slide it open to type the text.

You can use both

I usually have my phone in a waterproof case when working so need to be able to text and answer calls without the use of the slide bit.

You can

Mostly is the phone any good? Will it go the distance????? Most phones ive had in the last few years barely last 8-12 months before they slow down or start acting up.

Its a love or hate really, you will need to give it a go for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

yes with the N97 you have the alphanumeric keypad on screen and the keypad.
    Its a great phone but you will either love or hate it.

Depending on how hard you are on a phone the hindge might go. but it does tick all your box's.

3 also have the nokia 6700 Classic. (stainless steel shell)
    A-GPS
    wifi
    MP3
    Ovistore also

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bandscan

Never Liked the N97 i upgraded from the N95 which was a great phone,The battery life is poor it looks great at first but as a phone i found it freezing alot, my N97 is in the bedside locker since christmas i`ve upgraded to the i-phone and very looked back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Would the Nokia X6 be a good alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

have the N97 for a good few months now and got no problems...easy to use interface and sturdy phone...though not sure how it would work on a contrction site...alot of phone seems to strugle there...dust and dirt gets in everywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

have the N97 for a good few months now and got no problems...easy to use interface and sturdy phone...though not sure how it would work on a contrction site...alot of phone seems to strugle there...dust and dirt gets in everywhere!

I know a larger digger driver that loves his n97. Even uses the qwerty keyboard for texting while in the cab :pac:

Davy wrote: »
    I know a larger digger driver that loves his n97. Even uses the qwerty keyboard for texting while in the cab :pac:

hey i love my qwerty :) its so nice and easy to text compared to the touchscreen numeric one :)

Would the Nokia X6 be a good alternative?

Its pretty much the same phone... has a large internal memory too.
    If you dont need a QWERTY keyboard then I would go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The N97 is probably one of the most disappointing phones that Nokia have released. The OS may appear to be ok at first but install a few apps and it will start to slow down and crash. I kept mine for 3 days before returning it for what I have now which is a HTC Desire ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭donkey balls

im on my 2nd one since last oct although since the new firmware update it has not froze that much,im due an upgrade soon and they are going be releasing new mobys around june which should mean the n97 come down in price.

• Advertisement

they wont drop the N97 by any noticable amount in fairness

yeah i agree it froze after a few days and apps :) but i installed ramBlow and then got the latest software update and it has been working just like it should since

mooneyd wrote: »
    they wont drop the N97 by any noticable amount in fairness

i got mine for 179e plus 2 months line rental actually op if you call3 and say your leaving they might do you a deal like did for me last year.

i heard the n900 is out around june/july might wait till then to see what phones they have.

Iv not heard of it just yet but iv only got a list of up untill June.

Yea youll probably get the discount from telesales but in store I dont think so.

well their new phone os looks good and does the job of multi tasking better than anything else out there :) havent used one but in over looks and in hand feel the qwerty is ****...all the buttons are basicly smashed into each other..

mooneyd wrote: »
    Iv not heard of it just yet but iv only got a list of up untill June.

Yea youll probably get the discount from telesales but in store I dont think so.

not a hope of getting anything off a moby in store upgrades via the call centre in waterford your only way:)

Advertisement