Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help don't know how to train my unruly pup

Options
  • 06-05-2010 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi
    I was hoping someone can help me.
    My husband and I got a border collie pup back in Feb at the age of 2 months.
    She has since became quite an unruly pup. She is extremely wild she can't sit down while you're outside with her, ( we have tried ignoring her when shes jumping all over us and when she sits to pay her some attention, but this doesn't work) when we bring her for a walk she refuses to walk when we meet a car which is a regular thing ( as we live on a busy street in a town) and when the car passes she constantly jumps up on you continuosly until we meet another car, but if you let her wander alone with her lead still attached she will wander along beside me. She has now began barking through the night.
    Tbh I am at the end of my tether with her and I really don't know what to do with her I have considered looking for someone to take her (something I don't want to do)
    All help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It sounds like she's not getting enough mental stimulation or exercise.

If she jumps on you, turn your back to her and only give her praise when she has all four paws on the ground.

Consider training her to do some tricks, collies are working dogs and they want to do jobs.

Also I think obedience training would be hugely beneficial for you and the doggy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thats collies for you :rolleyes:

highly intelligent and full of engry.

get her into some obedience classes straight away. what you will have to understand is that she will understand and learn the commandments quicker then you - trust me, such intelligent dogs.

it will take loads of hard work but it is so worth it, they are the most beautiful dogs.

you will need to give her loads and loads of excerise and would be great if you lived somewhere you could take her of the lead and hit golf balls for her (this is where you really need the training for recall and fetch)

we would have walked our lad for 5-6 miles daily and at the weekends for much longer but we live in a semi-rural enviroment with fields and forests, so we could be him and run around. they are bloody fast too.

you need to make sure she knows who the boss is, this doesnt mean shouting.

you NEED to get obedience lessons as soon as possible.

they also need to mentally stimulated as well. if our boy got bored all hell would break loose, curtains were chewed, clothes on the line, chairs, presses :D

oh, the intelligent thing, we had to get childlocks on the food presses, as he knew how to open them :D he could open all the doors in the house as well.

if our guy went out at night and it was raining, when he came back in, he would sit on the mat at the back door and lick his paws clean, so he wouldnt be shouted at for getting muddy prints on the floor :D

oh, i have tears in my eyes thinking about him but a huge smile on my face. op, dont give up, they are so worth it and are brilliant with kids

good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Collies are super smart and tend to get into all kinds of mischief! They're also fantastically loyal and great company. I agree that she probably needs more stimulation, even if you just start off hiding treats around the garden and getting her to find them.
    My grandmother had a collie for thirteen years and they were inseperable. The dog used to watch TV. Her favourite show was Emmerdale. As soon as she heard the music, she'd be in sitting in front of the TV gazing up at the screen. She also figured out which adverts had animals in them and when she'd hear the jingle or a voiceover, she'd come in to stare at the offending critters who dared try invade her space though the goggle box!
    You need to make her realise you're the boss. Once you're consistent, she'll figure it out quick smart and fall into line. It mightn't seem like it now but she'll be a fab addition to the family once she's sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭athlone M

Hi guys thanks for your replies,
    Just wondering if anyone would know about how much obedience classes would cost?
    She really is a beautiful dog, shes quiet unusual shes a sable body and a beautiful cream face, and although she has only been with us a couple of months shes already attached to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Collies are high energy, however sounds like what a lot of pups get up to at her age.

To start with for your safety and hers don't allow her to jump around the car, use a dog crate you can get them any size.

Have you done any actual training with her? It sounds like a pup that has had no training at all been there myself although our guy was slightly younger and smaller so jumping up he could never get past our knee lol.
    I found puppy classes really helped.

Your collie will always be full of energy but that are an intelligent dog and really do need basic training you will find she is probably the brightest pup in the class.

Use a trainer that uses humane methods only like dog training ireland if you are in the Dub. area.

When she reaches a year old get her involved in agility also get her interested in a toy like a ball or frisbee, she should become obsessed with it and possibly want you to throw it none stop out in the garden..totally normal for a collie.

Don't envy you, our collie is 11 years old now and she's got the energy of a pup, she's mellowed a bit though and very good on the lead but really comes in to her own running madly around the garden after the ball, that's when she's most relaxed and happy.

Pups go through a naughty teenagery phase so vital you get the training in now you will be suprised how quickly she learns, they're a brilliant dog.

Classes cost about 10 euro a session but you sometimes have to pay upfront for the 4 to 8 weeks depending on the course but that's nothing when you consider how it will benifit you and make having her as a pet a pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paulacork

athlone M wrote: »
    Hi
    I was hoping someone can help me.
    My husband and I got a border collie pup back in Feb at the age of 2 months.
    She has since became quite an unruly pup. She is extremely wild she can't sit down while you're outside with her, ( we have tried ignoring her when shes jumping all over us and when she sits to pay her some attention, but this doesn't work) when we bring her for a walk she refuses to walk when we meet a car which is a regular thing ( as we live on a busy street in a town) and when the car passes she constantly jumps up on you continuosly until we meet another car, but if you let her wander alone with her lead still attached she will wander along beside me. She has now began barking through the night.
    Tbh I am at the end of my tether with her and I really don't know what to do with her I have considered looking for someone to take her (something I don't want to do)
    All help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Yep, she's a border collie alright! According to Stanley Coren, who wrote "The Intelligence of Dogs", there are three types of dog intelligence. 1. adaptive intelligence (learning and problem solving) 2. instinctive intelligence (measured by canine IQ tests) and 3. working / obedience intelligence (which is breed dependent). In the ranking of brightest dogs, Border Collies comes No. 1! ~ their understanding of new commands requires 5 repititions or less and they obey their first command 95% of the time, so you have on your hands a dog that may well be more intelligent that a lot of humans I've come across! my sister has a border collie and she is extremely intelligent and requires a lot of work training wise. As they are working dogs, she needs long walks and my sister recently bought her a backpack and places small water bottles in each pocket so the dog feels as if she has a job to do whilst on her walk. I can't stress enough how important it is for you to get your puppy into training and obedience classes as soon as possible. If you don't know how to train / control her now - when it's most important - you haven't a hope when she's an adult. I'd also recommend agility. Collies ace this ~ they adore it ~ and it develops a great bond between dog and owner as well as maintaining training and obedience. Start off with the training classes though and carry out training at home - and everyone in the house needs to train the dog in the same way or it won't work. Good luck!

Advertisement