Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo

Options
  • 06-05-2010 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I am new to the shooting scene i hear people saying cartridges and stuff is far cheaper up north are you allowed to buy it there with an irish gun licence

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Simple answer no.

Long answer yes. You can purchase ammunition from the North, but you need alot of paperwork.

You need an import license from the DOJ here. In order to get this you need the dealers license from the North, a copy of both sides of your CURRENT Irish license, and you e-mail all this to the DOJ. Once gotten you need a visitors permit from the PSNI to allow you to carry the ammunition from the store back across the border. A european firearms pass would be an advantage, but not essential and as it is free from your local station why not get one while waiting on your import license from the DOJ.

Once you have all these you travel up, supply the dealer with all the paperwork he needs, keep copies for yourself, and most importantly get a receipt for all ammo purchased. Any ammo you purchase here will automatically be registered with the Gardai, but not if it comes from a dealer outside the 26 counties. Give a copy to your local Gardai to keep on file to show you are buying and using ammunition for your firearm.

Also your local station gets a copy of your import license/request, but they get theirs from the DOJ so you need not worry about that.

My advice though would be to shop around. While some may be cheaper up North, between time and fuel it may either cost more, but definitely take longer to get. Do your sums before commiting to anything.

Hope this helps.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 David86

Thanks for the advice i think ill stay the right side of border for handyness

Advertisement