Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in a lot of pain after been neutered

Options
  • 06-05-2010 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

I got our dog neutered today, all went well as far as I can see but tonight he is in a lot of pain. The Mrs collected him from the vets and she wasn't given any pain killers which would be very handy now.

Is there anything at home I can give him to relieve the pain or is there something in the supermarket that I can get him.

BTW I know that Paracetamol and aspirin is very toxic to dogs.

Any advice is welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie82

thats a big huge no, ring your vet and talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The Mrs collected him from the vets and she wasn't given any pain killers which would be very handy now.

Ah, the poor pet! Most vets give a long lasting painkiller before the dog goes home (often the owner won't see this happening) but dogs react very differently to pain and discomfort. Often, they just need to sleep off the day and they are fine when they wake up. If you feel your chap is really suffering, give the vet a buzz (if they have an out of hours line, you should be able to at least talk to someone) and they will be able to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Ah, the poor pet! Most vets give a long lasting painkiller before the dog goes home (often the owner won't see this happening) but dogs react very differently to pain and discomfort. Often, they just need to sleep off the day and they are fine when they wake up. If you feel your chap is really suffering, give the vet a buzz (if they have an out of hours line, you should be able to at least talk to someone) and they will be able to advise you.

He's not really bad TBH but he is in pain. He's doing a hell of a lot of whimpering and licking which I stop him doing when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Hi..

Awh sorry to hear your dog is in pain. Just make sure he doesn't like at or tear the stitches along the wound. Keep an eye on the wound as well - keep your eyes peeled for redness, oozing of blood/fluid etc. If you were given a Buster collar (lampshade), keep in on unless you're watching him or you can take it off to give him a break while he's eating.

As regards the pain issue, I would ring your vet and say that he seems to be in a lot of pain after the op and something will probably be prescribed.

Good luck. Hope he's doing ok.

Jane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

He's not really bad TBH but he is in pain. He's doing a hell of a lot of whimpering and licking which I stop him doing when I can.

Try not to let him lick at the stitches, he'll irritate them and could cause them to get infected. If the vet didn't give you a Buster collar, they'll be able to supply you with one today. The dogs usually hate them but it's better than the alternative. You couldn't probably pick up a few days worth of painkillers today at your vet - just explain the situation and they'll give you something to take the edge off.

• Advertisement

Didn't sleep a wink last night, the poor fella was whimpering all night. We even had him in our bed so we could all get try get a little sleep, didn't work :(

I rang the vet earlier and he told me to drop down and pick up some pain killers and a collar. I'm furious that they didn't supply us with some yesterday, of course he was going to be in pain! Is this the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i had my dog he neutered last week,he had no problems, the vet did give me antibotics for him, which i think was a brill idea, at least there would be no infection, my man had his walks as usual, but i think the antibiotics would be a good idea, they just help in the healing process in that we keep infections at bay, my fellow is 7 months old

its not normal to give pain meds with dog cast, they generally get more than enough before going home. obviously some dogs are affected differently and may need extra pain relief. as for the collars, most dogs tend to hate them more than the stitches so again are usually not given to all patients on discharge. he'll be back to himself in no time, its nice youre so worried about him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

yes you should really have gotten a collar and some painkillers to last a couple of days.
    The collar stops the dogs from getting at the stitches and that.

OK an update

I tried the collar but he was having none of it :) freaked him out a bit to put it mildly. I gave him a pain killer earlier and he is noticably better, actually he's been asleep for the past hour so hopefully we'll get a bit of sleep ourselves tonight.
    Thanks all for the replies :)

• Advertisement

yay :) glad he's feeling better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Delighted he's feeling better, the poor thing. I know for Sindy, obviously a different operation, she didn't get the collar, they said if we needed it to call back down, but they did give pain killers and anti-biotics. Possibly someone forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Neither of our two got painkillers or collars, they had been given an injection that lasted til the following evening.

We had to go back the next day and get Tilly and collar which we then had for Ozzie but he didnt go at the stitches at all whereas she was at them all the time. All dogs are different. Glad your dog is feeling better.

Advertisement