Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Elections - Exit polls / First impressions / Constituency Results

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I presume the 3 SDLP votes would go Labour and Alliance, Lib Dem, so that could be 4 seats for a Labour/LD Coalition.

Surely 33% can't win an overall majority? Thought it was about 36/37%

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Will the media dub this 'No decision Britain' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Big crowd still here. Can someone give me a rough overview of how we've been looking since about half twelve? I saw Robinso lost his seat alright which was dramatic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Conor Murphy retains his seat 18857 votes.

Who were he 600 odd lunatics who voted for Willie Frazer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Conor Murphy holds Newry & South Armagh

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Big crowd still here. Can someone give me a rough overview of how we've been looking since about half twelve? I saw Robinso lost his seat alright which was dramatic!

Tory gains in unlikely places, no Tory gains in likely places (in general)

Lib Dems losing seats and only gaining I think one so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Quick Run down so far:

LAB: 101 Seats
    CON: 110 Seats
    LIBD: 14 Seats

REST: 23 Seats

In NI: All going as normal except Robinson is gone... recount in Fermanagh/South Tyrone - difference of 9 votes.
    In Sco: Conservatives made no ground
    Wales: Con finding it difficult, PC held ground looking to extend
    England: LAB loosing on all sides but holding up beter than expected

Think thats it really !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Labour Hold Bolsover.

Sounds painful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ynotdu wrote: »
    Jeez sceptre how many computers and TV's have You got exactly?:D
    One of each:) I'm poor:p - as my desktop PSU blew in December I've been working off a 10" netbook screen and my TV usually gets turned on only when live TV is important (elections and world cup finals when I remember world cup finals are on). I read a lot of the UK local papers during my few lucid hours, I like local news, it's wonderfully unimportant to everyone who isn't local. At half ten lately, rediscovering the joy of TV news, I've taken to flicking up and down through 15 regional BBC news shows at once (my favourite is BBC1 East btw, Look East is a well-produced show), lots of local stuff picked up that way. It was last week when I first figured out what Andrew Neil looked like.

Andrew Rawnsley (Observer chief political commentator) reckons he sees a series of patterns. He's done that by dividing Britain into lots of small bits, each with their own behaviour. Electoral commentators usually call those constituencies:)

Oh a rarity, a LD gain in Burnley.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Conservative gain Lincoln from Labour

The Newsletter saying Ulster Unionism has been decapitated tonight and are suggesting a new realigned Unionist party may emerge. Both leaders expected to be removed over the coming days/weeks, expecting Reg Empey to go before Peter Robinson.

DJCR wrote: »
    recount in Fermanagh/South Tyrone - difference of 9 votes.

Who had the 9 vote majority?

LIB DEMS holding on to CON targets again!!!

Berwickshire remains LIB DEM !!

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Who had the 9 vote majority?

Rodney Connor

Cardiff North recount probable according to BBC Wales - Con and Lab neck and neck there.
    Sinn Fein I think... Michelle Gildernew.

Can't seem to find it anywhere ... I'm sure I saw it though!!
    You're right. Recount already done, Gildernew ahead by 2 after that, 45 minutes in total, there will probably be a second recount as there were several hundred spoiled votes (currently being reported on BBC NI)

Connor ahead on 1st count by 8, Gildernew ahead by 2 on 2nd count. Gonna go to the wire.... god I need to go to bed but don't want to miss this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

sceptre wrote: »
    One of each:) - as my desktop PSU blew in December I've been working off a 10" netbook screen and my TV usually gets turned on only when live TV is important (elections and world cup finals when I remember world cup finals are on). I read a lot of the UK local papers during my few lucid hours, I like local news, it's wonderfully unimportant to everyone who isn't local. At half ten lately, rediscovering the joy of TV news, I've taken to flicking up and down through 15 regional BBC news shows at once (my favourite is BBC1 East btw, Look East is a well-produced show), lots of local stuff picked up that way. It was last week when I first figured out what Andrew Neil looked like.

Andrew Rawnsley (Observer chief political commentator) reckons he sees a series of patterns. He's done that by dividing Britain into lots of small bits, each with their own behaviour. Electoral commentators usually call those constituencies:)

So My assumption that You were Male must be dead wrong!
    Since You so brilliantly Multitask You must be a woman!:)

*ynotdu seeking the female vote:)*

Connor ahead on 1st count by 8, Gildernew ahead by 2 on 2nd count. Gonna go to the wire.... god I need to go to bed but don't want to miss this!

Is BBC NI covering this .... havent seen any of it on Sky News!!!

Fermanagh & South Tyrone recount has Gildernew winning by just two votes!

Another recount possible?

• Advertisement

Lib Dem loss in Rochdale!

Jesus that's crazy! I hope Gildernew makes it. She stayed in my house once just before she first got elected and was lovely.

Ashfield

LAB:- 16,239
    CON:- 10,698
    LIBD:- 16,047

Phwooorrrrrrrrrr.............. Close one!!

Yes, great coverage of it on BBC NI. Checking spoilt votes now as sceptre said.

Yes but they've zipped away to talk a bit more about the "bigger picture" (aka the 632 seats that aren't in norn iron) now. "Unionist realignment" being talked about as well (as other people above have hinted at).

Clegg arrives at Sheffield count centre! Looks withdrawn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Lib Dem loss in Rochdale!

Is that not a Labour hold

Is that not a Labour hold

Paul Rowen (Lib Dem) was outgoing MP.

Have one of the stations got that wrong?

Lol at D Dimbelby about the people who did not get to vote:

"This is meant to be a centre of Democracy,not a third world Country"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Paul Rowen (Lib Dem) was outgoing MP.

Have one of the stations got that wrong?

BBC list Labour as having won the seat in 2005, but seems that they might have it wrong :confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/constituency/d71.stm

BBC list Labour as having won the seat in 2005, but seems that they might have it wrong :confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/constituency/d71.stm

They are wrong. I know the place and Rowen was the MP since 2005!

CORRECTION: I think they were going on boundary changes, which in 2005 would have made it a Labour seat!

1st recount in Fermanagh/South Tyrone put Gildernew ahead by 10, picking up an extra 17 votes. 2nd recount due at 4.30, if it has to go to a third vote it will start tomorrow morning at 9am.

RTE TV coverage ending for the night, over to the Beeb & SKY ......... :)

Darling just put his foot in it !!!

"I support Gordon Brown" - ha, I don't believe you!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Have to say I started out with the BBC, but ITV's coverage is definitely much better. Haven't gone near Sky..

• Advertisement

If it ended up as a minority Conservative government, do you think we'd have another General Election fairly quickly? Listening to David Davis, he made a valid point that difficult decisions that will have to be made would be made very difficult.

I'm outta here! Thanks to moderator spectre and others for the craic online here!

What an election developing!

Jacqui Smith loses seat :eek:

Nice slip by Dimbleby on going to Barking... "where the National Front is challenging... sorry, I meant BNP"

There's an old joke about Thatcher where one of her aides supposedly said that she was "daggers mad". Asked if he meant she had the knife out, he said "no, she's three stops beyond Barking"

Those familiar with the District Line will remember that Dagenham Heathway is three stops past Barking. Never as funny when you have to explain it.

On BBC NI, they were talking about this cartoon from the Times yesterday. There's now a possibility that none of those three things in the cartoon will come to pass.
    ynotdu wrote: »
    So My assumption that You were Male must be dead wrong!
    Since You so brilliantly Multitask You must be a woman!:)

*ynotdu seeking the female vote:)*
    Ha, no on both counts, no multitasking ability whatever. Though I am currently also cooking dinner, I've been quite sickly for the past two days with the tuberculosis or similar and I can only eat now.

Interesting that right now with half the seats declared, they're all pretty much at roughly half of the projections the exit poll predicted so proportionally it's close to correct so far (with a slight adjustment downward for the LibDems and upward for others). Odd that.

Nice article on the Scottish results in today's Times, the opener is marvellous:
    The Conservative advance was halted at the Border in the early hours of the morning, with Scotland once again proving to be a Labour fortress...

Conservative gain Corby from Labour, still on for a hung Parliament.

More coffee please :D

• Advertisement

Brighton looks like its gonna stay Red!!

Paxman interviewing Samond now, good fun.

Cameron is sickened!!! A part of me is delighted!!

Oh well Esther,i guess THAT's LIFE!:pac::pac::pac:

Cameron expected to fall short of the magic figure by twenty seats approx . . . .

Conservative Liberal pact on the cards in the coming days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Cameron is sickened!!! A part of me is delighted!!

All of me is delighted. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Camelot wrote: »
    Conservative Liberal pact on the cards in the coming days.

O rly? That would simply be unworkable. Labour/Lib Dem is how it will pan out.

Fermanagh & South Tyrone due for third recount later in the morning (after 9am).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

So after all the turmoil it looks like the exit polls were bang on the money.

Bit disappointed tbh, was hoping for a better performance from the Lib Dems, but the AP win in Belfast was a nice surprise. I reckon a minority Conservative government is most likely at this point, although a LIB/LAB coalition is still very possible.

I have to be up for work in 3 hours so I think it's bed time.

Fermanagh South Tyrone 2nd recount puts Gildernew ahead by 2 votes. 3rd recount tomorrow morning starting at 9. Both sides taking legal advice. Arlene Foster made it to the polling centre in an hour and ten from Belfast!

Bed time for me too.... thanks for your company and the updates folks

• Advertisement
Advertisement