Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Elections - Exit polls / First impressions / Constituency Results

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Bond-007 wrote: »
    A LAB/LD coalition will not work, Cons will have more seats than the 2 combined.

Not important.

They can ask the Queen to form a minority government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Only under the conditions of complete electoral reform and an early election could I see a LIB/LAB coalition. It's almost untenable. Far more likely is a minority Conservative government. I can't see the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives working in a coalition

Either way I reckon there will be another election in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

mike65 wrote: »
    Labour are not wanted either though.

Yep, labour not wanted in england, torries not wanted outside of england...it's going to make for difficult governing of the UK either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

redout wrote: »
    Not important.

They can ask the Queen to form a minority government.
    Which will fall at the first tough vote in the commons.

Either way I reckon there will be another election in a year.
    That is a certainty now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

OS119 wrote: »
    i
    quite how English voters/taxpayers will react to them be required to fork out for larger/frozen block grants for the other nations while their own services get squeezed even harder is perhaps not something Labour and the LD's will want to concentrate on.

That little argument that people use always makes me laugh. Southern England raped Wales, Northern England and Scotland in order to make the south more prosperous. They stole the Scottish North Sea oil, and various industries in the areas I mentioned then sold those areas up the swanny with Thatcher.

Southern England should have to pay for the damage they did to them and sheer theft they enacted on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Yep, labour not wanted in england, torries not wanted outside of england...it's going to make for difficult governing of the UK either way.

Agreed, but I think the conservatives did better than expected in some unexpected seats, 'take Wales for example', although admittedly they only have one seat in Scotland, & no seats at all in Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pride Fighter, calm down!

Camelot wrote: »
    Agreed, but I think the conservatives did better than expected in some unexpected seats, 'take Wales for example', although admittedly they only have one seat in Scotland, & no seats at all in Northern Ireland.

5.6% swing to tories aside, 8 seats out of 40 is a resounding rejection of the conservatives.

The combined population of Scotland, Wales and NI is less than Greater London.

• Advertisement

Two more seats.

Con gain Thurrock from Labour.

Con gain Hendon from Labour . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Fascinating stuff thus far. Looks like Brown's going to try for a deal with Clegg, a lib-lab coalition with a few others..the Scots Nats,Plaid, Caroline Lucas etc...

Is it now time for SF to abandon their policy of non-attendance at Westminster given that they could, if they chose, have a key part to play in the formation of a govt? Certainly the unionist politicians will be a key part of any conservative minority government strategy.

Really disappointed with the Lib-Dem cave-in, but hopefully this uncertainty will lead to a change in the FPTP system which is no longer workable in the increasingly fragmented world of British Politics.

My own prediction is that with the economy being the number one issue time is tight, the markets will drum their fingers today but something will have to be ready to roll by Monday morning.

The LDs backing Labour has little credibility esp with Brown in charge, the Tories can form a minority government and dare the rest to bring them down at a time of global financial uncertainty. I think we'll see that first.

Clegg ruling out Lab/LD coalition.

The LDs backing Labour has little credibility esp with Brown in charge, the Tories can form a minority government and dare the rest to bring them down at a time of global financial uncertainty. I think we'll see that first.

Agree, just heard Clegg speaking, seemed to me, reading between the lines, to rule out a labour pact saying the party with "the most votes and the most seats, should be given first chance to form a government."

The combined population of Scotland, Wales and NI is less than Greater London.

Well, the tories always were the english national party, that's why the other countries don't vote for them. The population of greater london and their voting practices didn't stop devolution and if the next government thinks middle england is more important than those who voted against the tories in the other countries that make up the UK, then it's just going to get even more divisive.

The Scot Nats were praying for a tory govenment because they know how unpopular they are going to be north of the border, I'm sure the NI & Welsh assembly's are in a similar position. Even with the larger population, the tories despite being the popular party in england is going to find it nigh on impossible to pass any legislation in any other part of the UK, it's just not going to work as a national government. I predict another election very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It's an almost certainty now that the Conservatives will form a minority government and David Cameron is going to be the new prime minister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Clegg ruling out Lab/LD coalition.

Hardly ruled it out. He said it's up to the Tories to act in the public interest, i.e. if they can't give the LDs what they want, they'll head to Labour. Clegg said a conservative/LD coalition "would be almost impossible on policy grounds".

Just heard one interesting option open to Labour (Sky News) in the event that the Lib Dems agree a pact, which would involve Mr Brown stepping down & Mr Clegg getting the top job :)

Maybe a bit fancyful?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Possibly the worst possible result. Britain has a rampant National Debt and now will not have any sort of Gov be it Tory minority or Lib Lab or w/e thats able to address it.

Hardly ruled it out. He said it's up to the Tories to act in the public interest, i.e. if they can't give the LDs what they want, they'll head to Labour. Clegg said a conservative/LD coalition "would be almost impossible on policy grounds".

Indeed, its a interesting one. Obviously Clegg's major requirement will be a referendum on electoral reform, but Cameron and Co are constitutionally opposed (no pun intended) to such a move...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

There was me thinking it was the Belgian airforce....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Well, the tories always were the english national party, that's why the other countries don't vote for them. The population of greater london and their voting practices didn't stop devolution and if the next government thinks middle england is more important than those who voted against the tories in the other countries that make up the UK, then it's just going to get even more divisive.

1951 general election the Tories came to power on the back of their Scotish seats, only in the last 20 years have they become more southern based.

With regards the past with Wales & Scotland and paying for past problems , I think the phrase is bugger off if you want to is the mood of the population in South East and take Durham & Cumbria with you

1951 general election the Tories came to power on the back of their Scotish seats, only in the last 20 years have they become more southern based.

With regards the past with Wales & Scotland and paying for past problems , I think the phrase is bugger off if you want to is the mood of the population in South East and take Durham & Cumbria with you

I'm not sure my father was born in 1951, it certainly wouldn't be the political flavour in my lifetime.

Buggering off if you want to is all very well as a cute soundbite, the trouble is westminster seems to have an issue with the UK breaking up, that's why they compromised with devolution. With different laws, education system, etc, etc I don't think what middle england thinks really bothers those north of the border either, other than not voting tory as a deliberate two fingers, of course. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

First election in over 15 years where the murdock press: Sun, Times & Sky News did not bring their backed candidate directly to power. Never heard of balanced media coverage Mr Murdock!

Good to see the Britsh people seeing through their right wing bias coverage (which is still going on, reminding you of Fox news and the 1st George Bush election victory, in current attempts to railroad all options bar a Cameron PM (most likely however)).

Aswell as voting reform surely some blackout media coverage the day before polling would be a welcome addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Can someone briefly explain what sort of voting reform is being sought? Thanks.

It would be the age old PR Vs first-past-the-post reforms, I imagine?

Can someone briefly explain what sort of voting reform is being sought? Thanks.
    The introduction of PR and a list system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

In his statement, Clegg has thrown the ball in Cameron's court. Depending on how the final numbers fall, Cameron may be able to pass any legislation he wants once the Lib Dems abstain. So the Lib Dems wouldn't even have to vote with the government.

Lib Dem support could be bought for electoral reform I'd say.

• Advertisement

Cameron to make a statement at 14:30. Apparently labour are prepared to do a deal on AV, fixed term parliaments and election to the Lords, all surely very attractive to the Lib-Dem grass roots?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

This is Cleggs big chance to get electoral reform, he needs to do a deal with who ever will provide such in the 1st 6months of government. A bit stupid of him saying in public that Cameron should form the next government however here is where the Murdock press are twisting things BBC reported:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8667071.stm

Main sentence:

Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg said the situation was "fluid" but the Tories had the first right to seek to govern.

As against sky news:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/Gordon-Brown-Hopes-Of-Lib-Dems-Pact-Dashed-As-Nick-Clegg-Says-Tories-Should-Get-Coalition-Chance/Article/201005115627426?lpos=Politics_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15627426_Gordon_Brown_Hopes_Of_Lib_Dems_Pact_Dashed_As_Nick_Clegg_Says_Tories_Should_Get_Coalition_Chance

My reading Sky pushing for Cameron no balance, fairness or honest reporting.

I'm not sure my father was born in 1951, it certainly wouldn't be the political flavour in my lifetime.

Buggering off if you want to is all very well as a cute soundbite, the trouble is westminster seems to have an issue with the UK breaking up, that's why they compromised with devolution. With different laws, education system, etc, etc I don't think what middle england thinks really bothers those north of the border either, other than not voting tory as a deliberate two fingers, of course. :pac:

I grant you that the grandees in the tory party are attached to the union, but the Oiks could nae give a , if somebody runs with the issue it could get very interesting.

Scotland always had different laws so nothing new there, and with the ending of shipbuilding steel and coal plus oil on the decline, it might be worth unloading the place.

They only joined the union because they were bankrupt ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Is it possible that Clegg made that statement just to cover his tracks, so to speak.

He made claims during the campaign about the rights of the largest party to "seek to form a government."
    By appearing to negotiate with the conservatives first, he shows himself to be as good as his word, even if he reaches no agreement with them.

They only joined the union because they were bankrupt ;)

Well, technically "they" didn't join, there was no referendum or vote offered. In fact the idea of joining the sasanachs was so unpopular that even with royal approval it took four goes to get the treaty of the unions passed in scotland, it was only ever a popular move among the upper classes - funny how little some things change in 300yrs. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Would a Lib/Lad deal even be tenable at this stage, in terms of numbers?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Is it possible that Clegg made that statement just to cover his tracks, so to speak.

He made claims during the campaign about the rights of the largest party to "seek to form a government."
    By appearing to negotiate with the conservatives first, he shows himself to be as good as his word, even if he reaches no agreement with them.
    That's what I was thinking. He's in a powerful situation and knows it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Well, technically "they" didn't join, there was no referendum or vote offered.

No, there was Culloden.

Of course, these days, in the context of the EU, Scottish independence seems less momentous somehow.

It wouldn't give a majority, they would also need to lasso in all the independents and regional parties which I think is untenable. It's a fascinating situation.

loldog wrote: »
    No, there was Culloden.

Of course, these days, in the context of the EU, Scottish independence seems less momentous somehow.

Maybe its cos Scotland if it were an independent state would be bankrupt in 2010. The failure of its two once world class banks has been a body blow to the notion of going it alone.

• Advertisement

No, there was Culloden.

The act of the union preceded culloden. :confused:

It certainly lost momentum over the labour years, I know a lot of people who were tactically voting to ensure the tories didn't gain seats, it'll be interesting to see if cameron forms a government and does anything to affect scotland, what that does to the national vote at the local elections...

No, there was Culloden.

OT
    Culloden was after the union, and Scotland would not have been independent if they pretender had won, he was only interested in London not Edinburgh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Lib Dem + Labour will have more seats than the Conservatives alone, i think.

Both will need help to get a majority.

The Conservatives would get support of DUP and probably no one else.

The LibLabs would get support from SDLP, Alliance almost certainly. Both the Scottish and Welsh Nationalists would be more likely to support the LibLabs.

Any government without LibDem support would be very unstable. They really are the Kingmakers

OT
    Culloden was after the union, and Scotland would not have been independent if they pretender had won, he was only interested in London not Edinburgh

Yes, as I pointed out, the union preceded culloden, scotland had already been signed up to join with england. You brought up culloden so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with regards to popular opinion in scotland - which is what I posted about.

Maybe its cos Scotland if it were an independent state would be bankrupt in 2010. The failure of its two once world class banks has been a body blow to the notion of going it alone.

Hmmm, not convinced on that either. Stupid bank execs and boards are not the measure of a nation, as most countries can testify...

Yes, as I pointed out, the union preceded culloden, scotland had already been signed up to join with england. You brought up culloden so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with regards to popular opinion in scotland - which is what I posted about.

Excuse I did not bring up Culloden

Excuse I did not bring up Culloden

Well I didn't so I don't know why it's being bandied about regarding scottish popular opinion, either in the 16th century or today! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

No, I brought up Culloden, the point being that talking about motives for the original Union are a bit pointless. The Union was imposed militarily by a military junta in London.

Given the cuts that will have to be made in public spending (30 Billon is the figure been thrown out) it may be in the Tory party interest not to be in power as some of these cuts will have to be made in the North East

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Have to say that irish elections are much more exciting, it drags on for ages without knowing which way it has gone, and PR is much better t watch results coming in . . .

Advertisement