Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Elections - Exit polls / First impressions / Constituency Results

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Johnson back in !!! (Hull West - Labour Big Wigs getting through comfortably so far)!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Lembit Opik gone. Cheeeky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Conservative gain Aberconwy from Labour.

Conservatives gain Basildon South from Labour.

Conservatives gain Basildon South from Labour.

Conservatives gain Vale of Glamorgan from Labour.

Conservative gain Tamworth from Labour.

Nuneaton. Tory gain.

Stafford Tory gain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

BBC has the Tory current total at plus 10 seats and Labour at minus 10 seats

Remember though that the first past the post system

So does the Irish Civil War/Mammy and Daddy always voted this way so I will system.

Also under PR system you have more people being elected in each constituency, usually parties run more than one candidate - preferential votes generally go by party choice.

It really wouldn't make that much of a difference here.

But in the UK - With only one person winning it would really come down no. 2 votes wouldn't it (in general)

No1. Lib
    No.2 LAB/CON

Chester. Tory gain

Are these expected gains?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Lib Dems really are doing miserably.

It is their role in UK politics!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

why is the lib dem count so low? have there not been results from their constituencies or are they just doing worse than expected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Of the 116 target Conservative seats:

15 declared, 10 conservative gains, 5 holds.

But a couple of conservative gains from outside these targets.

It's going to be close.

Conservative gain City of Chester from Labour . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

It is a given that the Lib Dem performance in elections is uneven, but we did expect it to be less true than usual because of a national lift provided by the 'Clegg factor'. In their previous surge elections in 1983 and 1974 they did tend to rise everywhere, but it seems that it is not happening in 2010 (even assuming that when the dust settles this still counts as a 'surge' election for them). They have missed two targets in Guildford (probably harder than it looked given that it had a new first time incumbent Tory MP) and what should have been a sitting duck in City of Durham, a Labour marginal. Having said on Twitter that I would eat my hat if the Lib Dems finish on the 59 seats or so predicted in the exit poll, I may have to look into buying a marzipan hat.

From Lewis Baston.
    Also, Adams received the biggest vote in all of NI, this will have to lead to the Unionist factions joining forces. Surely it's the sensible thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Lab hold Dumfries and Galloway - no Tory seats North of the border probably now!

Dumfries is the only seat that they hold from the last election, so they will be hoping to hold that. Dumfries and Galloway was their big target

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

milly4ever wrote: »
    why is the lib dem count so low? have there not been results from their constituencies or are they just doing worse than expected?

I assume some Lib-Dem people voted Labour to keep the Tories out this time.

Do you think tactical voting may have played a part??

I'm not sure, I think it was Tooting that Labour held where Labour and the Conservatives both increased their share of the vote while the Lib Dems took a hammering along with others.

Are these expected gains?

No actual gains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

amacachi wrote: »
    Crowd in Glasgow East are ****ing class. :pac:

According to BBC Scotland it kicked off even more in there after the results were announced and the cameras went away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Alastair Campbell has declared that the feeling at Labour HQ in Old Queen Street is quite good and upbeat. He's also having an argument with Adam Boulton and Kelvin McKenzie on Sky, I'd switch over if you can, it'll be worth it .

edit: if you missed it, too late, stay with BBC. ITV coverage is a distant third and that's only because C4 coverage is over.

Mind you, Alastair Campbell is capable of being the comical Ali of British politics in the event of a Labour meltdown. I probably envy his job more than any other I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

DJCR wrote: »
    Also under PR system you have more people being elected in each constituency, usually parties run more than one candidate - preferential votes generally go by party choice.

The PR system in this country does result in a much fairer distribution of seats - if FF win 2 of 5 seats then you will find they would have had 40% of the votes give or take.

Look at the PDs or the Greens - 2/3% nationally - 5/6 seats.

Fully agree on people running back to FF and FG because of mammy and daddy and FF will come back because of it before 2012.

sceptre wrote: »
    Alastair Campbell has declared that the feeling at Labour HQ in Old Queen Street is quite good and upbeat. He's also having an argument with Adam Boulton and Kelvin McKenzie on Sky, I'd switch over if you can, it'll be worth it .

Mind you, Alastair Campbell is capable of being the comical Ali of British politics in the event of a Labour meltdown.

Character assassination of Gordon Brown - I could quote myself but I really like Alastair!!! I've been Sky newsing it all night!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Delighted to see UCU have had no impact on NI.

And how did Iain Paisley Jr. win a seat. Are people really stupid?

Earlier on, Campbell did not look so confident!

Honestly i think Clegg blew it by showing his hand too early as to which bed he would hop into after the Election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mind you, Alastair Campbell is capable of being the comical Ali of British politics in the event of a Labour meltdown. I probably envy his job more than any other I can think of.

Bloody hell, I don't know what channel to watch, must do an Elvis for next election and get several TV's in room.

What channel are most of you watching....I'm on BBC myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Alistair Campbell on Sky predicting hung parliament. Complaining about bias from the Sun and the broadcast media. Karma!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Osu wrote: »

It is Antrim North for cryin out loud!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bloody hell, I don't know what channel to watch, must do an Elvis for next election and get several TV's in room.

What channel are most of you watching....I'm on BBC myself.

Got sick of the Beeb ..... Sky news far better!!

Osu wrote: »

Have you been to Ballymena?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

TommyT wrote: »
    Swing to the Tories now looking like 3%, hung parliament now looking likely.
    They're preparing the gallows now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

It was pretty entertaining.

I'm not a Campbell fan, but I find Kelvin McKenzie incredibly irritating, along with the rubbish paper he used to edit. Adam Boulton can be annoying as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

It is Antrim North for cryin out loud!
    Have you been to Ballymena?

Yeah I have, I know the area. I know about the area. But Kermit the Frog would have out-polled Iain Paisley Jr. anywhere else.

People are idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

LibDems holding Eastleigh, one of the Tories top targets.

cons missing some top targets - especially vs the lib dems.

this election is all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Catriona Ruane looking very happy with herself.... have SF pulled another one?

Conservatives gain Stafford from Labour, but are failing to gain enough seats from the Libdems . . .

Eastbourne goes Lib dem.

first conservative loss of the night at Eastbourne to the Lib Dems.

Come on the LibLabs!

• Advertisement

Two failed possible gains for Tories - this election night is unreal!

K-9 wrote: »
    Alistair Campbell on Sky predicting hung parliament. Complaining about bias from the Sun and the broadcast media. Karma!

Hi K-9 it is Rupert Murdoch,owner of Sky,Fox,Sun etc that is the real Kingmaker of Leadars of Nations,i would add a smiley only i believe it to be true!

Dangerous [EMAIL="Bast@rd"]Bast@rd[/EMAIL] IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

First Past the Post makes Exit Polls bloody useless.

Catriona Ruane looking very happy with herself.... have SF pulled another one?

No chance. Safe SDLP seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Chris Huhne holds Stephen Milligan's old seat of Eastleigh for the LDs. Increased majority, that's not the sort of seat that will ever go Labour. It took the circumstances of Milligan's death for the conservatives to lose it in the first place. Milligan's ex Julie Kirkbride is running in Bromsgrove in Worcestershire, I assume she's safely home, it's one of the safest blue seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

No chance. Safe SDLP seat.

Hope so but she was grinning like the cheshire cat a min ago.

• Advertisement

Go on Milliband

If Edgebaston holds for Labour I could find myself staying up all night to watch this !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

DJCR wrote: »
    Go on Milliband

If Edgebaston holds for Labour I could find myself staying up all night to watch this !!!

Put your kettle on....Labour hold confirmed....no bed tonight!

Edit: Tories calling for a recount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

ITV says Gisela Stuart (LAB) has held her seat, Tories had expected to win this.

it's looking like i'll be in work very late in the morning

Hope so but she was grinning like the cheshire cat a min ago.

Grinning like an idiot.
    She will never get elected in South Down. Even with the help of the Sinn Fein election machine. She is seen as an outsider in the area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement