Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i get banana bread/banana cake

Options
  • 06-05-2010 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

Its been a long time since i had some and i love the stuff and have a craving. does anyone know where i can get a banana bread/banana cake.
    i know the gourmet tart company used to do one. it was i think banana, rum and walnut cake but any time i have checked within the past few months its been gone. please help. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

just make your own. easiest thing in the world to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Xiney wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Gourmet Tart Company sell Banana Bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

How helpful. :rolleyes:

Try Griffins.
    Spadina wrote: »
    +1

Is this not what the thanks button is for?

no seriously - buying banana bread is kind of like buying boiled pasta. waste your money if you must I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

How helpful. :rolleyes:

Try Griffins.

Is this not what the thanks button is for?

i agree with Xiney, but stellarartois why so hostile!!! friendship and polietness costs nothing Xiney is actually trying to help
    wow stella go have a few and chillax:D

legatti wrote: »
    i agree with Xiney, but stellarartois why so hostile!!! friendship and polietness costs nothing Xiney is actually trying to help
    wow stella go have a few and chillax:D

Well in all fairness the OP asked specifically where can i buy banana bread and xiney responds "just make your own". You could say that about most foods we buy so I don't think thats very helpfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have you tried making bread OP, you need a blender and a loaf pan.
    My gf makes it all the time, 10 mins work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Thanks for the replies. i can't bake for the life of me but i suppose i can try. its been years since i tried to bake. i'd say it would of been home ec class in school last time i baked.

i did find a recipe for banana bread. so i suppose i could buy the supplies and ingredients and it would be a great way to spend an afternoon. i'll let you know how i get on.

you don't even need a blender. potato masher does just fine.

best bananas to use are the ones that are a bit overripe. The starches inside have had time to be converted into sugar - they're sweeter.

• Advertisement

This is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

This is a joke.

Yours is not to question the validity of threads.

If I see another troll post from you you'll be taking a nice long vacation from this forum, which will save you from worrying about threads being a joke or not.

Consider yourself warned.

/moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ok, I have to agree with all the tips about banana bread, yeah it is one of the more user-friendly breads to make - but....

There *are* people who simply don't cook, or don't know how, for whatever reason, I know some older folks like this, and one person under 30 I can think of! Cooking freaks some people out. It is nice to be encouraged to try something new, but in fairness, the OP did ask about buying banana bread. We discuss sandwich prices, deals on chips, drunk food etc on here, and the cooks/cornflake eaters among us know that we can all happen at home. No need for harshness either way guys.

Sometimes in the market, you'll see banana bread on stalls. If you see a bake sale on, that's a good place to check too. Yum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you ask nicely I'd say most bakeries might do one specifically for you.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Ok, I have to agree with all the tips about banana bread, yeah it is one of the more user-friendly breads to make - but....

There *are* people who simply don't cook, or don't know how, for whatever reason, I know some older folks like this, and one person under 30 I can think of! Cooking freaks some people out. It is nice to be encouraged to try something new, but in fairness, the OP did ask about buying banana bread. We discuss sandwich prices, deals on chips, drunk food etc on here, and the cooks/cornflake eaters among us know that we can all happen at home. No need for harshness either way guys.

Sometimes in the market, you'll see banana bread on stalls. If you see a bake sale on, that's a good place to check too. Yum.

if someone was to ask where they could get their windscreen washed would you not just tell them to buy a bottle of windolene and have at it though?

unless you don't have access to an oven, a bowl, and a loaf pan, not making your own banana bread is seriously weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

unless you don't have access to an oven, a bowl, and a loaf pan, not making your own banana bread is seriously weird.

I have access to all 3, but I've never baked bread never mind banana bread. thanks for the compliment

sorry, forgot to add "should you want banana bread"

Galway Saturday market has them.

But really it's just butter, eggs, sugar, banana and flour mixed together and throw into the oven for a bit.

biko wrote: »
    Galway Saturday market has them.

But really it's just butter, eggs, sugar, banana and flour mixed together and throw into the oven for a bit.

I'm honestly not trolling but if your going to make banana bread and you make it like this for your first time its not going to be anywhere as nice as the one you'd buy! Cooking things right takes time and not everyone has it. This is my last post in this thread! Sorry if i upset anyone!

homemade banana bread always > storebought

always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

So how do you actually make banana bread? I'm curious now.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Best-Banana-Bread-2886

ignore the sifting bit - not really important in this case - I only ever do it in one bowl. I never flour the loaf pan either, although I do rub a stick of butter on it a bit (or spray it with oil)

a mixer is useful for creaming the butter & sugar but it's not essential. As long as the butter is room temperature it will combine perfectly easily with the sugar.

remember that most ovens here are fan assisted as opposed to North American ones, so I'd take it out at 40 minutes and test it with a toothpick to see if it was done.

if someone was to ask where they could get their windscreen washed would you not just tell them to buy a bottle of windolene and have at it though?

The analogy does not quite translate IMO..but
    Honestly? I would probably give them a suggestion, and then yes, mention that they'd be way better off buying a bottle of cleaner.

Seriously wierd? Don't think so! Someone living in digs mon to fri, or b and b with no kitchen access, someone staying with a relative who feels uncomfortable taking over the kitchen. I don't think they're seriously wierd scenarios.. Think that's a bit harsh tbh

And I will add that I am extra sympathetic, having family members who are frightened by a microwave!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Best-Banana-Bread-2886

ignore the sifting bit - not really important in this case - I only ever do it in one bowl. I never flour the loaf pan either, although I do rub a stick of butter on it a bit (or spray it with oil)

a mixer is useful for creaming the butter & sugar but it's not essential. As long as the butter is room temperature it will combine perfectly easily with the sugar.

remember that most ovens here are fan assisted as opposed to North American ones, so I'd take it out at 40 minutes and test it with a toothpick to see if it was done.

Hi X

My girlfriend make the best banana bread ever but to keep it being a bit dry she adds glazed cherries....wonderful.

Yeah, herself added peanut butter the last time. Good stuff.

inisboffin wrote: »
    And I will add that I am extra sympathetic, having family members who are frightened by a microwave!

And I have very little sympathy for such people ;)

buglim - if banana bread is dry, it probably doesn't have enough bananas in it, or it has been overcooked at too low a temperature. Never tried it with glazed cherries... not sure if I'd enjoy the combination.

If you're craving banana bread and you don't want to bake it, 1/3 c porridge oats + sliced banana + 1/4 cup water + sugar (or honey or sweetener) @ high power in the microwave for 2-3 minutes will scratch that itch....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I add some nutmeg and cinnamon to my banana bread, my God it's so good! I just throw all the ingredients into a bowl and just mix it all up with a spoon, it is super easy really.

Spadina wrote: »
    I add some nutmeg and cinnamon to my banana bread, my God it's so good! I just throw all the ingredients into a bowl and just mix it all up with a spoon, it is super easy really.

try ginger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

try ginger!

No gingers!

;)

Advertisement