Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i get banana bread/banana cake

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

*shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Xiney wrote: »
    try ginger!

Ginger, sorry but are you making this up? Ginger with banana??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'll pretty much eat nutmeg with anything.

Chocolate chips..??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I hereby declare my interest in a boards meet-up that involves fun cookery lessons

Buglim wrote: »
    Ginger, sorry but are you making this up? Ginger with banana??

not making it up. just a bit of ginger - the dried stuff you make gingerbread out of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

This thread has given me a craving for a banana beer in the Salt House...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Oven Door in Middle St: E4.00 I believe. Best value in town.

OR:

Banana Bread (no soda)

- 4-5 mashed bananas (use ripe ones)
    - 2 cups all purpose flour
    - ½ cup rolled oats
    - 1 cup sugar … or less, I use 2 level teaspoons
    - 2 large eggs
    - 1/2 cup shortening or vegetable oil
    - 1 teaspoon baking powder
    - 1/2 teaspoon salt
    - 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Set over to 350 F (180C).

Grease loaf-pan.

Mix the sugar, shortening/oil, and eggs until the sugar melts.

Add mashed bananas and mix

Add all the dry ingredients - flour, salt, vanilla, and baking powder and mix

Bake for around one hour.

No blenders, or potato mashers, needed: just use a fork to mash 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    And I will add that I am extra sympathetic, having family members who are frightened by a microwave!

They need some life-skills coaching then, unless there are some major intellectual disability issues involved. Seriously. It's simply negligent parenting to bring up kids and not teach them how to feed themselves in a reasonably healthy way.

I'm continually surprised by the number of people here who seems to lack such basic life skills. The Irish Mammy has a lot to answer for, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Thanks for the replies. i have decided that i am going to go baking this weekend - the first time in years too and i'm actually looking forward to baking. wish me luck. here's hoping i dont set off fire alarms in my new apartment or burn the place down.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Feck ye all. The idea was planted in my mind.

And now sits on my counters some chocolate banana bread.

• Advertisement

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. i have decided that i am going to go baking this weekend - the first time in years too and i'm actually looking forward to baking. wish me luck. here's hoping i dont set off fire alarms in my new apartment or burn the place down.

don't worry about the fire alarm - I set mine off at least three times a week (or whenever I open the oven door and a blast of heat goes straight into it... poor placement is to blame)

Just keep a broom handy to knock it off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »
    They need some life-skills coaching then, unless there are some major intellectual disability issues involved. Seriously. It's simply negligent parenting to bring up kids and not teach them how to feed themselves in a reasonably healthy way.

I'm continually surprised by the number of people here who seems to lack such basic life skills. The Irish Mammy has a lot to answer for, IMHO.

None of the people I know had an Irish Mammy, so bang goes that theory! ;)
    The Irish Mammy herself gets a bad rap, she's only a part of that warped social construct that limits herself too!
    There are plenty of older men (it's mainly men) who haven't a clue how to cook, never taught, fell into gender stereotype roles, and thus never had to. If they find themselves a widower, it is quite overwhelming, the whole readjustment.

I am all for teaching someone how to fish instead of feeding them..blah blah, but peoples situations are not always black and white, that's all I am saying, and it just rubs me the wrong way a little, when someone wanted to buy banana bread, it sparked all this judgement about peoples self-sufficiency!

Fair play to ya op for giving it a lash! It is the way to go, just a bit of a mountain for some.

Advertisement