Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home security system installation help!

• 06-05-2010 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hi, can anybody help me to figure it out how to install a alarm system in the house? my house build at 2009. its a semiterrace house and all the wiring is done for the alarm system.

there is
    4 cable (coming out corner of the ceiling) which i belive for motion sensore.
    *3 cable (top of the door frame) comeing out from the top of door which i think are for megnatic door sensore.
    1 cable on the hall way beside the main entrance door belive it is for keypad alarm system, and
    **1 cable coming out from top of the hallway where is the keypad suppose to be,

now to wire it up i need to know few things, such as
    *in utillity back door there is 2 wire coming out sets of 6 cable inside. i cant figure it out why is there 2 instead one?

**top of the keypad, what that cable for? is it for bell/siren? if it is i cant see any cable coming out from outside the house!!!

and how do you power up the whole system? is this wiring already connected to power(i dont think so)

i know they are all stupid dump question but i love to know if any electritcian around to let me know about the wiring.

thanks.
    ps: i didn't bought any alarm kits, i am willing to take a chance to buy everything and make a pcb bord and program it to control everything. i might go for a cheap kits option if its get very difficult.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

satfindar wrote: »
    hi, can anybody help me to figure it out how to install a alarm system in the house? my house build at 2009. its a semiterrace house and all the wiring is done for the alarm system.

there is
    4 cable (coming out corner of the ceiling) which i belive for motion sensore.
    That is correct
    *3 cable (top of the door frame) comeing out from the top of door which i think are for megnatic door sensore.
    These cables are feeding onto other windows or doors.For these you wire all the sensors /contacts in series.
    1 cable on the hall way beside the main entrance door belive it is for keypad
    Correct. Usually usings 4 cores on most systems.
    **1 cable coming out from top of the hallway
    This could be used for an internal siren or a second PiR

i cant see any cable coming out from outside the house!!!
    The cable is possibly in the Attic.
    and how do you power up the whole system? is this wiring already connected to power(i dont think so)
    Its connected to nothing yet. All those cables will be together , possibly in the utility room or beside (or behind) the fuse board.
    i didn't bought any alarm kits, i am willing to take a chance to buy everything and make a pcb bord and program it to control everything. i might go for a cheap kits option if its get very difficult.

Are you saying you want to build your own alarm panel?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 satfindar

thanks for replay, you said,
    "For these you wire all the sensors /contacts in series"
    i am planning to fix 2 cable(say green and yellow) for all the sesor, so if i do that and connect all the sensor, they should be already in series connect to each other, unless i add 2 sensor in one line, does it make any sence to you?

i might need more help from you when i can actually try the system in real life.

ya i was planning to make one controlling panal with avr/pic. only reason i wanna do that so it will be cheap and i can program it future to add a gsm controller...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

In series means connecting the sensors and contacts to create one NC loop. The same for tamper zone. You can wire duel EOL also. I am out and about today. I will try put up a diagram for you later.

Thanks, a diagram of it will be a great help. No rush tho.

ok one more cable out in attic, think its for the outside siren.

Thanks, a diagram of it will be a great help. No rush tho.

ok one more cable out in attic, think its for the outside siren.

Sorry for not getting this up sooner. Hope it helps.

• Advertisement

thanks, i think i am kinda confuse becuase i checked my fuse box , attic, utility----but i cant find any wire for those zone. if you want i can get a pic of my fuse box. i checked my neighbor's alarm system, there hose is same wiring as us. the controller box fitted in there house beside the fuse box. but i didn't open it to check in there house. if i can find all the cables out, i could start getting all the bits and pieces.

They are possibly behind the fuse board.
    CAUTION

Even with the main switch off there is still live voltage present coming into the fuse board. Unless you are very comfortable & know where is live DO NOT touch any points inside the cover.
    If you do see alarm cables behind this I would recommend getting an electrician to move them to outside of this unit.

thanks, i will try that.

thanks koolkid for trying to help me out, now the house wiring part is clear to me all i need now is found all the cable output in fuse box,

i need one more favor froom you, the control box circuit i am planning to make is down below.
    push button is stand for as sensor, i am just confuse about the wiring control box. say zone one has 2 cable , should i connect 2 cable with A and B in control box?

Is 1-8 going to be 8 seperate programmable inputs?
    If so each should be from a common negetive & return to that input via the desired resistor(s)

• Advertisement

portD->2 to 7 gonna be 6 separate programable input. now what i think u saying is something like this?

portD--> 2
    w(resistor)
    >temper1--(megnatic contac)--return temper<----gnd

please let me know, appretiat it.

You want zone & tamper protection on the one circut using duel resitiors?
    Tha attached is a very rough diagram.

Save you are using duel 1k resitiors.
    1 resisitor is in series with the tamper switch & the second resitor is parelled across the contact.
    The following detections are possible.
    Tamper is closed zone is closed - Panel sees 1k
    Tamer is closed zone is open - Panel sees 2 k & will register zone open
    Tamper is open -Panel sees open circut & will register tamper.
    Cable has been shorted - Panel see short circut & will also register tamper

ya like your first wiring diagram, woow u r rock man, thank you very much, i ordered everything already to try the circuitboard in a breadbord first, they should be here in 1/2 days. i will let you then,....

It sounds interesting. Good luck with your project.

Advertisement