Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Annes Tennis Club Waterford

• 06-05-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about St. Anne's Tennis Club. e.g.
    How to join?
    What's it like?
    If you're joining on your own, how do you organise games with other people?
    Cost?
    Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

I wouldn't be expecting to walk in and join, there's a lengthy waiting list and has been since I was a member 15 years ago. There's a "ladder" competition which allows you to play against people you don't know, if you win your division you move up to the next one.

Their website should be of use to you: http://www.stannestennis.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Keea

Thanks for that info. Yes, I am aware of the waiting list. I had a look at the website also. Just trying to figure out if its a sport for me. I did play a bit when I was younger. I'd probably consider myself to be a 'beginner' now though. I'd probably need a lesson or two also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Well the normal way in is to be recommended by a current member of the club, then get on the waiting list. As was pointed out this used to be quite lengthly, with some people waiting years to get in.

However, due to the recession many people who weren't really using their membership left the club which created a lot of vacancies. As a result the waiting list was slashed dramatically. Waiting times are very much reduced, and there is a chance that you could get in within a few months.

When you join there will be other people joining with you. Many of these would be beginners. Welcoming events are held so that people can mingle and find people they might like to play with. There is also the ladder as mentioned, which has people of all abilities. On top of that people often have regular games which they develop as soon as they make contacts.

The club has about 5 coaches, most of whom work full time. The facilities are very much the envy of other clubs nationwide. I'd recommend you wander in and have a look at the Inter Firms competition which is going on every night this week. This is the largest competition in Ireland, and is a perfect opportunity for novices to have a look around and see if they like the place.

Thanks Hardybuck,
    That's a good idea to walk in around and get a feel for the place. The welcoming events sound good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Do it while the Inter Firms is on if you can. That runs until the 16th of May. There will be a good atmosphere, the bar will be busy with a good amount of entertainment laid on. There will be a plenty of non-members about so you won't feel out of place. Aside from that you might be able to go for a wander around during the senior open which is on around June/July.

• Advertisement

Yes, will do that. Thanks again for info.

Advertisement