Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clicking headset (I think)

• 06-05-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭

Hi,

I was cycling the bike this evening and noticed a clicking noise when I pedaled hard. At the time I hadn't a clue where it was coming from. It got really annoying after a few minutes and managed to stick it until I got home.

When I got back I spent a few minutes trying to trace this clicking noise to a component.

Basically it happens when I alternate downward pressure to the left and right of the handle bar, I can make it click very easily on the right hand side. So this explains why it only happened when I pedaled and not on braking, or freewheeling etc. The noise seems to originate from the headset or very close to it.

The bike is a new road bike, I had a bike shop build it for me and it's got a carbon frame and fork. It's an old frame though that was bought new and never riden (merlin c110).

Has anyone experienced this before? I haven't touched the bike since I got home, I said I'd ask just in case it might be something bad.

Thanks,

Wayne.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If it was a loose headset you would definitely feel it when braking. Squeeze the brakes and rock it back and forth, if you feel a knocking or as if the bike is trying to slide over the fork, then it just needs to be tightened up.

Is it a threadless headset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    If it was a loose headset you would definitely feel it when braking. Squeeze the brakes and rock it back and forth, if you feel a knocking or as if the bike is trying to slide over the fork, then it just needs to be tightened up.

Is it a threadless headset?

Thanks for your reply. Ya it's threadless, I locked the brakes and tried to rock it. There seems to be a very very slight flex but nothing dramatic. There's no clicking or any noise when I do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It it clicking or could it be described as creaking? You often get creaking in the bar-stem interface and this can be solved by applying carbon assembly compound (or grease, but carbon assembly compound is better even on metals as it increases the grip.)

blorg wrote: »
    It it clicking or could it be described as creaking? You often get creaking in the bar-stem interface and this can be solved by applying carbon assembly compound (or grease, but carbon assembly compound is better even on metals as it increases the grip.)

Yeah it's definitely a click. When I was on the bike it seemed to happen on every rotation of the pedal so that I thought it was the bottom bracket but it was only when I got home that I located where the click was coming from.

Would you think whatever this is, could be something that could potentially damage the frame with use?

You might get it diagnosed better in the bike shop that built it; it can be difficult to figure these things out on the internet. Unlikely to damage the frame I would think but then anything is possible. Can you reproduce the clicking when not pedalling, by levering on the bars?

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    You might get it diagnosed better in the bike shop that built it; it can be difficult to figure these things out on the internet. Unlikely to damage the frame I would think but then anything is possible. Can you reproduce the clicking when not pedalling, by levering on the bars?

Ya I can indeed, if I push down on each side of the bars in turn I can reproduce it very easily. This was really the only way I could find out exactly where it was coming from as it was very hard to pin point while moving. I might drop it in next week I suppose and see what they say.

Might be worth adjusting your headset to see if that makes any difference. And I'd try grease (or preferably carbon assembly paste) on the stem-bar interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Grease stem hardware (bolts) on threads and heads at the bar clamp.

Could also be bearing play in the front wheel hub. Take that off and see if you can find any (side to side.)

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I wont get to have a look at it until Sunday afternoon, going to see if I can remedy it then with your info and hopefully get a cycle in if it's fine. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement