Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT Crochet Blanket Needed

Options
  • 06-05-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

As some of the mums here know (from facebook) I brought my 14 month old son to the Natural History Museum today and his favourite blankie was taken from his buggy while we were looking at the exhibits.

It was a home made crochet but I cannot get the person who made it for me to make another one as it was a gift.

But it was his favourite thing in this world. He had to have it for naps/bed and it was the only thing that made him settle when we went anywhere overnight. The reason he loved it was the crochet was woven with quite large areas in it.

Does anyone know where I can get a new one. I know there is a man that makes them and sells them in the Blackrock market at the weekends, but it being Blackrock I know he will want some ridiculous sum of money for it!!!!! So I want to price check. I want him to have his blankie, but I dont want to be financially raped for it either!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What colour was it, do you have a picture, one which shows the type of stitch?
    Unfortunately I've heard of similar happen to other parents, with usually the person who took it trying to sell it back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

Jesus, who steals a baby's blanket?. Any idea what type of stitch it was, if something simple I would be happy to make one for you and post it, but I'm not great on anything complicated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

It was about 60x60 com baby green, with a white trim (since we didnt know the gender of the baby) and I have just looked at about 300 pics and not one pic of it!!!!!

It is his favourite thing, he bundles it up and nose dives into it. I think it is the feel of the wool more than anything

sarahlulu - that is very kind of you but I cannot describe it at all. It is like 5 or so pieces of wool, lightly bound together in a cross pattern with approx 1x1cm squares of empty space between each box. if that makes any sense

It is some what similiar to the design on the top right and bottom left on this photo, only with about 5 strings of wool and bigger spaces between each stitching. It was very very light!

Baby_blanket_detail.jpg

Thats not that hard to do, it's a shell stitch.
    I'm sure we can sort one out for you.
    I hate knitting but really enjoy crocheting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

how truly horrible of someone to take a babys blankie:mad: Has he been ok without it?:(

On the other hand..... isn't Boards (and people) brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

I haven't been in in a while but Oxfam, Rathmines, D.6 had a couple of crocheted, "patchwork" (multicoloured squares) blankets in the shop for a while - looked like they were made and donated by a local enthusiast. Might be worth a phonecall. iirc, they were only €14 each.
    Ph. 01 496 4181. They're not open till 10, though - just tried to call.

There really should be a "weighting factor" when a crime is committed by an adult with 2 arms and legs to work but choses to rob from an elderly/disabled person or a child. FFS.

Tbh I wouldn't buy one like that, it may not be made with baby wool (regular wool has too many fibres which can some off and a baby can eat) and I know I'd have to steam clean it.

Eh there is a supertition that if you can take something which is made for another child which they have used worn and put it on your child you can take that child's luck/healty/good fortune, I know a werid one but a shítty thing to do all the same.

littlebug wrote: »
    how truly horrible of someone to take a babys blankie:mad: Has he been ok without it?:(

On the other hand..... isn't Boards (and people) brilliant :)

For every small thing in my life since I've had Aidan, I have been blessed to have come onto boards!

Poor Aidan is looking everywhere for it, so I am heartbroken, he has even looked in the washing machine:( I am gutted for him.
    I haven't been in in a while but Oxfam, Rathmines, D.6 had a couple of crocheted, "patchwork" (multicoloured squares) blankets in the shop for a while - looked like they were made and donated by a local enthusiast. Might be worth a phonecall. iirc, they were only €14 each.
    Ph. 01 496 4181. They're not open till 10, though - just tried to call.

There really should be a "weighting factor" when a crime is committed by an adult with 2 arms and legs to work but choses to rob from an elderly/disabled person or a child. FFS.

Thanks. I will ring them tomorrow. :)

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Tbh I wouldn't buy one like that, it may not be made with baby wool (regular wool has too many fibres which can some off and a baby can eat) and I know I'd have to steam clean it.

Eh there is a supertition that if you can take something which is made for another child which they have used worn and put it on your child you can take that child's luck/healty/good fortune, I know a werid one but a shítty thing to do all the same.

Aidans dad was saying because of the cold weather yesterday, they would have seen his lovely clean blanket and decided it would be good for keeping their child warm!

All I can say is I hope all Aidan's and my bad luck go with it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Theres a fair few fancy knitted blankets where I work, in the liberty market in Meath Street in Dublin. Open thurs - fri. If you dont see what you need you can also ask any of the girls who do them could they knit one specific for you. Not expensive either. If you do come in I'm at the photo stall, so say hi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

My offer still stands, let me know if you need me to make you one.

Advertisement