Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a coffee plant/seeds in Ireland

Options
  • 06-05-2010 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I understand we don't really have the climate for it but I have a greenhouse, and I'd be interested in giving it a go: growing coffee.

Does anyone know anywhere in Ireland where coffee plants, or even coffee berries/seeds can be bought? Perhaps somewhere via the internet otherwise?

Conor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't know where you would get them, but they are lovely bushes with a gorgeous flower scent and berries at all stages of ripeness all at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Conor20

Great, thank Andrea B. I'll report back with how this goes..

Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 garrettf

Hi Conor - just wondering if you ever got your coffee plant and how it went for you? I am looking for one. Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭southernstar

I bought seeds before and they didnt germinate.

Am interested to hear if anyone else bought plants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

Some years ago I got a few unroasted coffee beans in Bewleys but they failed to germinate. I was in Brazil in September and visited the rain forest. I gathered a few beans from a coffee tree. I'll be planting them a little later in the Spring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Did anyone manage to find a coffee plant seller in .ie? Never got green beans to grow in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leof

http://www.seedaholic.com/ have a few varieties of coffee but are out of stock at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭virino

I bought a coffee plant years ago in the house plant section of Woodies. They are often grown as an indoor plant, and are easy enough, but are a magnet for red spider mite if their environment is too warm and dry.
    Recently, supermarkets seem to have stopped selling those little starter plants which used to come six or eight to a box. From time to time you would see little coffee plants among them. Bringing home one or two of those little plants used to brighten my shopping days, and I don't know why you can't get them much any more, they were an inexpensive way to start a house plant collection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement