Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber frame house renovation

• 06-05-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

I own an older (built in 1972) timbre frame house. The frame in in great condition but the plasterboard is crap (paper is peeling) and it has little or no insulation in the external walls.

I plan (on a room by room basis) to strip down the plaster board insulate and reslab (will rewire and look at the plumbing at the same time)

My initial plan is to use 4" of rockwool between the battens and then a 37mm insulated slab on top (to act as a thermal break and to add to the total insulation) finished with a hardwall skim-coat.

My questions are

Will this provide sufficient insulation ?

I have been told that the insulated board will act as a vapour barrier. Is this true or will I require an additional vapour barrier ? (all electrical outlets will be plasterboard boxes with a caulking gasket any other "breaks" due to pipes etc will also get a caulking seal and will floor and ceiling joints)

Someone recommended that I sheet all walls with a plastic (taping all joints) pump with celulose and then insulated slap on top.

Would this be a better alternative ? My fear is that this would make the room effectively airtight and require some form of forced air movement.

Alternative ideas welcome.

Advertisement