Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any suggestions for a urban(e) cycling jacket

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think Lumen has the Rapha jacket, or at least A Rapha jacket. It is probably the only cycling jacket I would consider wearing casually, it looks very good....even on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Drooling over that:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes, I have the Rapha Softshell in black.

I rarely wear it on the bike but every day off the bike. The only problem is that it's cut high at the front so if you wear a contrasting t-shirt it looks slightly ridiculous.

It is not warm, you need to layer up in cold weather, so it's basically just an expensive shell (although I got a decent discount thanks to Velo the boardsie).

However, until I started wearing a cycling jacket every day I didn't realise how indispensible external rear pockets are. Phone, car keys, wallet, everything fits in there.

At this stage you'd have to prise it from my cold dead hand, etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

didn't know bono posed for those rapha jackets:D

just trying to decide whether to order a L or XL in white in this right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

new stuff by charge bikes:

http://www.surface-clothing.com/aquaphobic_jacket.php

could easily wear this around town/to a meeting.They are meantto be affordable - I think evans are stocking them

£119 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/surface/wool-jacket-ec022560

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I saw one of these in the bike shop in sandymount, really liked it,but too expensive for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Lumen wrote: »
    Yes, I have the Rapha Softshell in black.

It is not warm, you need to layer up in cold weather, so it's basically just an expensive shell (although I got a decent discount thanks to Velo the boardsie).

I've always had a lot of time for Velo's thoughtful posts and with his her their cycling ability enthusiasm joie de vie.

€270 +PP (non discounted) is a bit pricey. The Portland is €200 I think.

The dhb is < €100.

mmmmm

DFD*.

*DecisionsFnckingDecisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

I've got a Chrome Champ. I really like it, shower proof and windproof. storage is good, breast pocket, inside pocket and a parcel packet across the back. not exactly warm but is definitely windproof. even after a few tumbles it's holding up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

abcdggs wrote: »
    I've got a Chrome Champ. I really like it, shower proof and windproof. storage is good, breast pocket, inside pocket and a parcel packet across the back. not exactly warm but is definitely windproof. even after a few tumbles it's holding up well.
    Looks good. Where did you get it?

DFD*

*DirectFromDistributor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Delivered to my parents in america...
    Not sure if they deliver to ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I bought the Rapha Fixed Jacket last year, which I really like. It was very expensive but it's nice to wear and looks good.

I think the Bomber Jacket is pretty much the same jacket, just a different colour.

TBH you're probably better off buying a different jacket and spending the balance on something else.

I just have a problem (like most people here) and when I see something I like, I tend to buy it and worry about it later.

I've always had a lot of time for Velo's thoughtful posts and with his her their cycling ability enthusiasm joie de vie.

€270 +PP (non discounted) is a bit pricey. The Portland is €200 I think.

The dhb is < €100.

mmmmm

DFD*.

*DecisionsFnckingDecisions

Are you talking about me?...I'm afraid have me all wrong, actually no you're right, you crossed out ability and enthusiasm.

I'm also a "he"

Here's a decent lookng jacket

The rest of their gear is expensive but this seems ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I read a glowing review of the dhb Southsea jacket when I was last buying a commute rain jacket - here it is.

I also considered the dhb Wickham eVent jacket at the time but ended up opting for the Vaude Pace eVent jacket instead. The Vaude is a good fit, and decently waterproof (so far), and could be worn as a casual rain jacket too despite the tail flap at the back, but it has no pockets at all which no doubt will help it to remain waterproof for longer but can be a hassle at times. It also wasn't cheap, at €165 at the time from Wiggle, so there may be better value options available depending on how highly you rate eVent as a material (I'm still undecided on how highly to rate it myself as yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have a Rapha fixed jacket which is great and warm on a spring day.
    Have lightweight softshell which is fine on a crisp morning or with layers. I would wear it on the bike but with layers under.

Advertisement