Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best cow for CHAROLAIS bull

Options
  • 06-05-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

i am upgrading the herb and i bought a pedigree charolais and i looking for more information on the right type of cow for the bull
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

The one that produces the best calf is the most obvious answer but perhaps a limousin cross?

We have had lim X BB and Blonde X BB with some good results but you would want the Belgian Blue blood to be around 3/8 to make it possible to calve the charolais

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

salers can calve down heavy muscled bulls easily. they have huge pelvic areas. unfortunatly their temperment leaves a bit to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

suppose a gd lim cross/with a BB(for muscle), or angus(for milk)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

buy GOOD stong limousine heifers. then you will produce quality with that bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

salers can calve down heavy muscled bulls easily. they have huge pelvic areas. unfortunatly their temperment leaves a bit to be desired.

if it werent for the fact that salers are insane in the brain :D , they would be the perfect dam , they could calve an elephant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭raher1

where do saler cattle come from and are they any good,i read bad things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Salers - came from France initially where they are crossed with Charolais. I've seen Charolais cross salers here and they are great cattle.

I see also on the ICBF figures also that they come out near the top for fertility. It's a pity they are as wild as people say, no joy working with mad cows. I had 2 weanlings by the AI bull, Rio last year, thought they were very quiet. Poor quality though.

thanks for all the information.have buy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

what did you get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

irishh_bob wrote: »
    if it werent for the fact that salers are insane in the brain :D , they would be the perfect dam , they could calve an elephant
    Great cows to calve alright and make a great job of them come the end of the year also:)

• Advertisement

i'll go for a few young limousine cows with calf.no time to watch heifers calving

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smgkilmore1234

to be honest whatever you like. DO NOT BUY PEDIGREE COWS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

He must of been a nice bull to buy him before the cows. I have seen great calves out of wh/fr cows. cheap to buy and good weight gain on the weanlings, you can match the cows to the bull once you see how hes working if thats what you want to do. Big framey sim cow is usually a safe bet with charlaois too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

1chippy wrote: »
    He must of been a nice bull to buy him before the cows. I have seen great calves out of wh/fr cows. cheap to buy and good weight gain on the weanlings, you can match the cows to the bull once you see how hes working if thats what you want to do. Big framey sim cow is usually a safe bet with charlaois too.

Its hard to beat a red limmy cow to put shape into them though and throws a golden calf aswell. Only problem is trying to get a red lim with milk now, can be a bit hit and miss. The golden charolais are a mad trade around here even in bad times.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ceannfort

to be honest whatever you like. DO NOT BUY PEDIGREE COWS

Why not pedigree. Best suckler cows I have are plain pedigree Charolais cows with milk. They calve easily to ch bull and also have the heaviest calves at weaning and sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We breed some super Charolais weanlings off Blonde x cows. Heavy and shapey, a super cross.

Advertisement