Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycling in san fran

• 06-05-2010 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

had a nice leisurely 20 mile spin over the Golden Gate bridge this morning - rented a couple hybrids on the Wharf. Got the ferry back - Lazy :D. Picked up a few funky jerseys and some other bits and pieces in a LBS.

After a trip up to wine country yesterday I tried to convince my girlfriend that we should rent some roadbikes and head up into the mountains. no dice. seemingly we need time for shopping. :mad:

weather is savage here. the hills are spectacular. would love to have my PX with me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 murpolopoliss

ajk24 wrote: »
    had a nice leisurely 20 mile spin over the Golden Gate bridge this morning

That sounds amazing..!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Great cycling alright. Drove out to Stinson beach in Marin county on the far side last yr, would be great to cycle. Nice and hilly on great roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Was in San Fran last September, didn't get time to rent a bike though...damn shame as would have loved to cycle the golden gate

Its a lovely city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, we did this last September. Rented a couple of MTBs and went from the Wharf to the far side of the bridge and back again.
    The Golden Gate bridge is awesome and insane at the same time. On the way across, it was covered in a thick fog. It was freezing. On the way back, the fog had lifted and it was lovely. It's quite windy up there. The trip is a little nerve-wracking. You have a sidewalk which is about the width of the path on Westmoreland street at its widest points and about as thin as Dame Street's Path at its thinnest points. On this path you have:

- Tourists walking
    - Tourists cycling
    - Joggers
    - Normal cyclists
    - Cyclists training at full belt.

So for me the entire trip across was spent either waiting to get around a tourist who didn't understand the keep left/keep right rule (peds are supposed to walk on the side farthest from the road), and being shouted at by guys training on the bridge to get out of their way. Cycling on the road on the bridge is strictly forbidden (and you'd want to be off your rocker). The road and sidewalk are separated by a huge fence.

The (new) wife wasn't loving it all that much because I kept getting away from her on account of having to cycle single file.

OP, go to Forbes' Island for dinner. Good craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Bought my bike in Sausalito (north of San Fran), a camelbak and cycled down to LA on the 101. Tanlines of death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bought my bike in Sausalito (north of San Fran), a camelbak and cycled down to LA on the 101. Tanlines of death.
    :eek:

That's pretty hardcore. I drove that route, and it'd be a savage cycle, but it's over 800km and pretty rough/rustic in places.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Pretty impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

had a nice leisurely 20 mile spin over the Golden Gate bridge this morning - rented a couple hybrids on the Wharf. Got the ferry back - Lazy :D. Picked up a few funky jerseys and some other bits and pieces in a LBS.

OK, it has to be said: wussing out and taking the ferry instead of cycling back up that hill out of Sausalito does not add HTFU points to your CV.

And then, just underscore this total lack of HTFU, Rusty Cogs posts this up:
    Bought my bike in Sausalito (north of San Fran), a camelbak and cycled down to LA on the 101.

Ahhhh.....it makes me smile :), so it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

where can you rent road bikes..?
    will be there in August..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

dave2pvd wrote: »
    OK, it has to be said: wussing out and taking the ferry instead of cycling back up that hill out of Sausalito does not add HTFU points to your CV.

And then, just underscore this total lack of HTFU, Rusty Cogs posts this up:

Ahhhh.....it makes me smile :), so it does.

in my defence -

1. had a very nice glass of zinfandel with my lunch,

2. my girlfriend has only just started cycling and she was in a hurry to get back to the city for shopping,

3. can't use a road bike at the moment as I can't pedal in the drops. booked in for surgery on my hip on the 24th to sort the problem. Therefore I am due some sympathy HTFU points for cycling through the pain at all. (in general I agree with the abuse :D)

barrabus wrote: »
    where can you rent road bikes..?
    will be there in August..

the same place do road bikes with clipless pedals of all types.

http://www.marinbikes.com/2010/bike_specs.php?Stelvio_105_&serialnum=1623

$48 per day. good rates for weekly rentals but can't remember off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

in my defence -

1. had a very nice glass of zinfandel with my lunch,

2. my girlfriend has only just started cycling and she was in a hurry to get back to the city for shopping,

3. can't use a road bike at the moment as I can't pedal in the drops. booked in for surgery on my hip on the 24th to sort the problem. Therefore I am due some sympathy HTFU points for cycling through the pain at all. (in general I agree with the abuse :D)

Fair enough. Negative HTFU points are removed.

The time we did it, my wife was not feeling good. It turned out to be pneumonia! I thought she was just cranky that day :rolleyes: She was pretty close to handing me the dee-vorce papers.

Hope that Zin was a proper Cali RED Zin. None of that pink stuff....else the -neg HTFU points are back on.

dave2pvd wrote: »

Hope that Zin was a proper Cali RED Zin. None of that pink stuff....else the -neg HTFU points are back on.

def a red. I spent the previous afternoon learning how to be a wine snob. something about bouquet and tannins and other such rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

had a nice leisurely 20 mile spin over the Golden Gate bridge this morning - rented a couple hybrids on the Wharf. Got the ferry back

I did the same thing with herself indoors and on the ferry back I proposed to her. What a day! :D

I miss SF...

Advertisement