Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tabacco advertising or not? Poll

• 06-05-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83346

I thought it was fairly obvious what the barcode was about on the Ferraris...advertising their sponsor!

Funny that...so what did you think it was about now its gone?!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Did you think it was tabbaco advertising? 35 votes

I knew what the barcode was about!
    0%
    I hadn't a clue what it referred to.
    85%
    Dont be at yourselfzeris[Deleted User]smokingmanrobinphmikemacmuckwarriorEdwardiusrecyclebindeadblokeFrank Bullittlord lucanthegothjohnnysmackCharlie-BravodsmythyEvilMonkeyTheChrisDhi_im_filCookie_Monster 30 votes
    Couldn't give a fiddlers.
    14%
    KenHyirishleedsfanold_aussiePauleta4g92mit 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I think they have got more advertisement out of it since this crap was brought up.
    I think they removed it to get another round of stories out there and blank box on the Ferrari is now associated with Marlboro, just like the Barcode in the first place.
    Will Ducati do the same?

If it is subliminal advertising how come you don't see the Ferrari mechanics chain smoking at the back if the Ferrari garage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Complete load of tosh in my view. The entire ban on tobacco advertising is a bit of a joke in any case its not as if people take up smoking because they see it on a race car.

Thought I do remember always thinking of the old F1 cars by which tobacco company sponsored them. Wonder if I could win a court case. :pac:
    Seeing the classic Penske livery on an IndyCar always makes me think of Marlboro as well.

I don't think advertising has much, if any influence on someone taking up smoking anyway.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Thats what they want you to believe :)

Well it's a tough one, certainly the attempts at eradicating it from every part of culture will cause a fall in the numbers smoking, but for me the only reason I smoked more than just my first one was because I enjoyed it.

And it just looks so damn cool. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Bitten & Hisses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Bitten & Hisses!

I liked seeing what Jordan did to get around those advertsing restrictions in certain countries...alot more interesting than just 'Mika' or 'David'.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Did my thesis on how Marlboro advertised through the ban without breaking the rule,quite interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Needs another option of I knew what it was about but don't care. Take a look at the 2009 MotoGP Ducati bike. Also sponsored by Marlboro.

Despite being a fan of F1 since before my teenage years I have never smoked nor had any desire to. As a branding exercise it works though. I am familiar with brands I otherwise wouldn't have had much knowledge of. The Lotus JPS, the years of McLaren in Marlboro livery, the blue Williams Rothmans who also used a barcode and so on.

Of course, this isn't just tobacco as there is a number of brands that wouldn't have stuck in my head without their involvement in F1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭v10

Bitten & Hisses!

Be On Edge.

2003-jordan-no-tobacco.jpg

Buzzin Hornets

buzzin-hornets1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭v10

Excellent !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Buzzin Hornets

Actually looking at that, the car is packed with advertising. None of the cars these days have that many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Jordan of old got some serious slagging in the pits for not having any color scheme at all and plastering anyone's logo on their car.

I can't find the example I'm looking for but this is close,

1995_jordan_peugeot.jpg

Oh and to the main topic, I always knew and couldn't give two sh1ts. I did smoke for a one week period of my life and it was not related to F1 or any other sport. I promptly quit and this wasn't down to a sudden lack of advertising. My own view is that it doesn't effect me and therefore don't care it multi-billion dollar companies want to bank role a sport I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

The bottom line is advertising influences people.

I work in a cancer hospital. Its not nice watching people walking around with an oxygen mask waiting to die an awful death from a disease mainly caused by smoking.

I love F1, but dont think it's success is worth the above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

TBH I'm surprised Marlboro are still backing Ferrari, there must be very few Grand Prix left where they can advertise in full view.

flazio wrote: »
    TBH I'm surprised Marlboro are still backing Ferrari, there must be very few Grand Prix left where they can advertise in full view.

0 since 2006 i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

flazio wrote: »

At races where there are no laws governing the advertising of cigarettes at retail level you'll find big Marlboro caravans and stages set up selling Ferrari branded Marlboro and giving away free things in the F1 village. They had a stage set up at Monza last year with loads of blonde birds in tight hotpants dancing around. Certainly got my attention(but i'm a Marlboro smoker anyways!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

lord lucan wrote: »
    At races where there are no laws governing the advertising of cigarettes at retail level you'll find big Marlboro caravans and stages set up selling Ferrari branded Marlboro and giving away free things in the F1 village. They had a stage set up at Monza last year with loads of blonde birds in tight hotpants dancing around. Certainly got my attention(but i'm a Marlboro smoker anyways!).

and people say tobacco companies are evil :rolleyes:

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

and people say tobacco companies are evil :rolleyes:

:D:D

I just went over to see if i could get a free lighter.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭deadbloke

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    0 since 2006 i think

I think the Middle Eastern Grands Prix and some of the Asian races still allow the 'baccy on the cars.

• Advertisement

I think last year was the first year they stopped putting Marlboro on the cars completely, I'm 99% sure they didn't at Monaco despite the banners everywhere. I missed the banners this year. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Bitten & Hisses!

"Buzzen Hornets" FTW :D

also advertising is about bombardment and also the subconscious. So the whole Im not going to take up smoking because I see it on a car is not the point. We may not, but there are others much more impressionable who will do ;)

deadbloke wrote: »
    I think the Middle Eastern Grands Prix and some of the Asian races still allow the 'baccy on the cars.

I'm thinking of bahrain here..so its ok to smoke [which is a pointless ****ty habit with no point/benefit] but you can't drink? :crazy b*stards: must be all the oil fumes out there and sand in their ears :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Last I checked, the team name is still Marlboro Scuderia Ferrari :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

barcode was missing from the Ducati today in fp1 for motogp

Advertisement