Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

That one road safety ad.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

One of the funniest things I saw in a long time was a few weeks ago, as I was walking over a bridge on the M50. Two boy racers overtook a car going slowly enough whicin the middle lane, one "undertook" in lane 1, and the other overtook in lane 3.

About 2 seconds later, the (Unmarked Garda) car lit up with blue lights, and was chasing them. I'd say the Gards absolutley love catching them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Wibbs wrote: »
    With some of the eejits on the road(one last night on the wrong side of the road), I'm thinking fuggit, I'll weld in a bloody roll cage out to the suspension points and run 5 point harnesses to it and be done with it. That way if some muppet hits me it'll be his or her family carrying a pine box on the cover of the herald. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUjyYnQJOpc

FYI, weld-in cages are illegal on a road car, they have to be bolt-on and removable.
    Plus you'll need to wear a helmet, you could seriously crack your skull off those yokes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Why do young lads feel the need to fit roll cages to Saxo's? What are the expecting to happen that they feel the need to have a roll cage? Going onto a public road with that mentality is crazy and asking for trouble.
    They base their driving on the Fast and the Furious not a RSA advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

zerks wrote: »
    The hinterland around my town turns into Daytona nearly every night but nobody is hauled up before the courts.

Why would the guards be interested in spending a night catching a dozen guys like that? Instead they could spend an hour in the sun, hiding behind a hedge outside the RTE building (a real accident blackspot, I'm sure) and catch 100 people.

Enforcement is all about appearing to prevent accidents, while actually doing as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

R0ot wrote: »
    If the ads stop one person from drink driving/speeding then they are worth showing every ever hour on the hour. I come from Inishowen probably the site of some of the worst car crashes on our roads in the last decade and these ads I welcome.

Speeding and drink driving kills people and I'd hope our little PC island won't resort to bowing to people who say "oh those ads are depressing/horrible/disgraceful" and want the ad's pulled.

If you think ours are gruesome then you should see Australia's version.

Now that is the type of ad we should be showing! As everybody is saying, it's the unrealistic element of the 'Shock-Ads' that diminishes their message.

My boyfriend wrote off his car doing 40mph on a narrow country road that he drives on between 6 & 8 times a day. The road is your typical one lane country road with a bit of a bend in it & there was a car doing 40 coming the other way. The lady from the insurance company said "Sure it's hardly a bend at all! How did ye manage to crash?" when she saw it first :rolleyes: 5 years on, he still gets pains in his chest sometimes from where the seatbelt dug in, & every time it happens, he says "Thank God for the belt."

A friend was killed in a crash on Saturday morning. The girl who crashed into her had been reported to the Gardai only 20 minutes earlier for speeding through a town. How many times do we see something happening & think "S/he should be reported for that!" For once someone actually did, & the Gardai did nothing about it, with the result that my friend is dead & another person is critical in hospital.

Some stats from the US:
    http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/People/PeopleDrivers.aspx
    http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/People/PeopleAllVictims.aspx

Here's a study that seems to back up what someone said earlier about these sorts of things having a short-term effect:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V5S-3SWXXJR-2&_user=10&_coverDate=05%2F31%2F1997&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1446742722&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=dbc68fae155505c68241990534ce29c9&searchtype=a

And to the person who claimed a hands-free kit is better than loudspeaker (although I grant you that using the loudspeaker whilst holding the phone near your face defeats the purpose!:confused:):
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V5S-4TBF434-2&_user=10&_coverDate=11%2F30%2F2008&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=f572cf5b285f7bbabc9ea6a754c7754d&searchtype=a

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    FYI, weld-in cages are illegal on a road car, they have to be bolt-on and removable.
    Plus you'll need to wear a helmet, you could seriously crack your skull off those yokes!
    True. You would need padding on it at the very least.

Oh I knew about the legality aspect, but always found it weird as to why a welded in rollcage was illegal in a road car, given it is purely a safety device. Indeed the extra weight involved would take away performance. AFAIK its also illegal to wear a helmet in a road car. Yet a lot of deaths in road cars are due to blunt force head injuries(airbags have saved many lives for that very reason). They save lives on motorbikes and are mandatory. They save lives on bicycles and some want them to be mandatory. They would defo save lives in cars, yet are illegal? Forgetting the performance bits, the safest car you could realistically build is a full works rally car.

The only reason I can see is that in an impact with a non equipped car, the latter would be destroyed. Though we're allowed to drive very big and heavy cars on the same roads as something like a G-Wiz electric car. Plus a couple of cars out there(though too few) have safety cell racing technology built in. The McLaren F1 a good example and the only car so far tested that was actually driveable after official crash testing. In early road testing of that car a test driver lost control at 200mph+ and walked away with a few scratches. Why this technology isn't incorporated into more cars is beyond me. Cost? Yes, but a cheaper version could be fitted into more cars than is currently the case. Just fully seam welding the cabin would increase the safety.

Then again maybe all of that would make things worse. Its bad enough now when people think the technology will save them and are far too blase as a result. I tend to agree with J Clarksons tongue in cheek comment, where he said road deaths would be reduced if you replaced the airbags with a rusty spike in the middle of the wheel.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement