Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACT Marketing

• 07-05-2010 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I just interviewed today with ACT Marketing in Dun Laoighre, they're doing door to door sales for airtricity at the moment. I don't know what it is though there is just something funny about them

Does anybody know anything about them, worked for them before, changed electricity providers through them etc.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

I just interviewed today with ACT Marketing in Dun Laoighre, they're doing door to door sales for airtricity at the moment. I don't know what it is though there is just something funny about them

Does anybody know anything about them, worked for them before, changed electricity providers through them etc.

Airtricitys get almost 100% of it's new customers through door to door sales, this has been expensive but effective for them. They outsource all of there door to door sales people.

The companies that offer door to door sales refer to themselves as “Marketing” or “Promotion” companies; it sounds more glamorous. They normally entice people in by telling them stories of people who make lots of money and progress up the company.

Working for these companies means your pay is going to be mostly, if not all commission based – these companies have a bad rep because they are long hours and can have very low pay.

My advice would be to stay far far away.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Very long hours from what I've hearc from people I know that did it, certainly not suitable for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Work & Jobs

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shevchenko

OK, if ur gonna complain about something at least get the facts right! YES its true its a job on commision. the only people that care are the people that arent good enough to make money but anyone can do it if you work hard enough. YES, its long hours if u want to progress, otherwise u can work minimul hours and get minimul pay, u get what u put into it and they help u every step of the way. plus, the job is really enjoyable anyway, the people all have ambitions and it gives u great life values whether ur there for a long time or not. either way u get great ref's, experience, and good money if ur willing to work for it. How many of you actually know the clients that the appco group have?? enable ireland? vso? or other unbelievable charities? eircom phonewatch, airtricity, sky???? YA THEY ALL WORK WITH A SCAM COMPANY???? if you're afraid of hard work this job is NOT for u, but if u want an opportunity and are willing to work for it go for an interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Great to see another first time poster telling us how great these ' jobs ' are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

shevchenko wrote: »
    OK, if ur gonna complain about something at least get the facts right! YES its true its a job on commision. the only people that care are the people that arent good enough to make money but anyone can do it if you work hard enough. YES, its long hours if u want to progress, otherwise u can work minimul hours and get minimul pay, u get what u put into it and they help u every step of the way. plus, the job is really enjoyable anyway, the people all have ambitions and it gives u great life values whether ur there for a long time or not. either way u get great ref's, experience, and good money if ur willing to work for it. How many of you actually know the clients that the appco group have?? enable ireland? vso? or other unbelievable charities? eircom phonewatch, airtricity, sky???? YA THEY ALL WORK WITH A SCAM COMPANY???? if you're afraid of hard work this job is NOT for u, but if u want an opportunity and are willing to work for it go for an interview.

If you want to be fead a loads of lies about how you'll become an owner within 6 months and make 200/300 euro a week for almost 50 hours work in every kind of weather with no expeneces or anything paid then by all means go work form them, however if you want a life go find anything ealse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 archyrich

sendit wrote: »
    If you want to be fead a loads of lies about how you'll become an owner within 6 months and make 200/300 euro a week for almost 50 hours work in every kind of weather with no expeneces or anything paid then by all means go work form them, however if you want a life go find anything ealse

if i was making 200 - 300 a week i wouldnt stick it either. its not a scam at all. all these threads complain about is the fact that theyre commission based and long hours.. so what? you find that out in the 2nd round interview anyway

archyrich wrote: »
    if i was making 200 - 300 a week i wouldnt stick it either. its not a scam at all. all these threads complain about is the fact that theyre commission based and long hours.. so what? you find that out in the 2nd round interview anyway

I know its not a scam its just the pay is no where hear worth it forthe amount of time you put it.

What people are complaining about is the fact that they make it out to be the best job in the world and any other job is s***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Crap pay , self-employed status ( with all the consequences that has for Social Welfare entitlements ) , no expenses for either transport or phone , commission only - the list is endless , its a rubbish ' job ' and please note that as per usual the only people on this forum defending these outfits are first time posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hummingbird1

ok you say here the only people defending it are first time posters!!! i may not be have many posts but ive had a few and they have been from long before i found this thread.

im working about 6 weeks in ACT in cork and ok its not the perfect job! not everybody will suit. but it does pay the money it promises! yes you do have to pay petrol money which is a 5er a day, but if you ware working far from where you lived would you not have to pay a bus fare or taxi or even your own petrol money??? its the same thing really, and once your in the company and found your feet (which did take me about 2 weeks before i could honestly say i was getting money worth talking about) the money is good, and honesty is one of the major things that is encouraged.

We work with major companies and charities so its not like they would stick with ACT if it was a scam and i deffinately would not still be here. In another thread i read of the "brain washing" that happens to the workers and the only thing they have ever "brain washed" me into believing was that I was good at what i do and that if i wanted to prgress i could if not i didnt have to!!

so yes there are mixed responses! dont take my word for it saying i enjoy the work im doing because its a very personal experence. But like i said dont knock it until you try it!

• Advertisement

ok you say here the only people defending it are first time posters!!! i may not be have many posts but ive had a few and they have been from long before i found this thread.

im working about 6 weeks in ACT in cork and ok its not the perfect job! not everybody will suit. but it does pay the money it promises! yes you do have to pay petrol money which is a 5er a day, but if you ware working far from where you lived would you not have to pay a bus fare or taxi or even your own petrol money??? its the same thing really, and once your in the company and found your feet (which did take me about 2 weeks before i could honestly say i was getting money worth talking about) the money is good, and honesty is one of the major things that is encouraged.

We work with major companies and charities so its not like they would stick with ACT if it was a scam and i deffinately would not still be here. In another thread i read of the "brain washing" that happens to the workers and the only thing they have ever "brain washed" me into believing was that I was good at what i do and that if i wanted to prgress i could if not i didnt have to!!

so yes there are mixed responses! dont take my word for it saying i enjoy the work im doing because its a very personal experence. But like i said dont knock it until you try it!

But any half good sales job your travel expences are paid for. If the owners make as much as they clame why cant they pay for petrol if it only cost €5 a day?

Like telling everyone who starts that they'll run there own office when really theres only room for no more then two offices in a certin place?

Why do they try and make you not talk to your friends and family then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Delancey wrote: »
    Great to see another first time poster telling us how great these ' jobs ' are.

Yes, gotta love the devotion of these companies and their loyal 'staff'. The moment a thread appears BAM! There they are, advertising their wares, parodising sleasy salesmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nuala Riordan

My daughter started with them about 5 weeks ago and thought it super. She basically did the most of her first two weeks for free...long hours, they taking the commission, she working for free in the office beforehand for a few hours hitting the road. Hitting the road meant using her car, petrol, tough it you get a puncture, I queried her insurance liability on this ? anyone check that out ?

Basically, this company has nothing to lose by 'predatoring' the vulnerable, by feeding them all these lies of big money....what investment are they making into these young people ???? tiddlysquat - sure haven't they got them working for free at no cost to themselves...they work in their office for nothing....they use their own vehicles for nothing....they even sign over the right to any earnings they receive on their 'training' to the 'company'. They work two weeks in hand and when the workers finally get their money, they discover it has been deducted, that they will receive the other portion after 5 months if the payees keep paying ! none on this was advised DAY 1, nor is any payment receipt given....professional ??? Go on their website....their 'contact us' doesn't work and try ringing the number they supply and it comes up wrong number... Send an email to their address and no answer. What more needs saying ? Those who are posting positives are obviously those who are the abusers of very vulnerable young people and ought to be ashamed of themselves. I will go the companies they are promoting next.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JSP

What is the commission per sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nuala Riordan

Supposed to be €50 but you don't get the full amount as they retain a third and give it to you after 5 months if the customer is still purchasing. This is something that is not told on the onset, only the promise of achieving 2 sales a day and if you don't get the 2 sales everyone helps you to do so....another untruth. The third deduction should be documented and is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jonathon poundsworth

Hi, first time poster. My friend has been working for app co for the past 8 months we have been saying in jest since he started working that he is being 'brainwashed' but after reading these threads I have started to get worried this may actually be true. We have not really questioned his work because it has given him direction and he reckons he'll become 'an owner' and make big money from what it says on these threads these are empty promises. The worry is that when these dreams are dashed and he is let go because is self employed and will not need to be given any sort redundancy is that he will have lost his 'family' and will have to start all over again.

Also I have read in one thread that people are encouraged to lie to newcomers about how much money the owners are making to keep them motivated. Has anyone else come across this practice being carried out?

It has also been said that employees are encouraged not to speak to family and friends. Is this true or is it just that the ridiculous hours make it impossible to have a social life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rebelette17

Does anybody know anything about them, worked for them before, changed electhiproviders through them etc.[

I worked with act marketing for 11 months and honestly it was the worst period of my life. I worked 12-14 hour days for the vast majority of this time. The most money I made in a week was €340 but my average weekly earnings were in fact €150 - €180, and I would spend around €50 of this on travel. Even though I made so little money I was considered to be a 'highroller' in the office. I absolutely hate talking about my time there as I actually get so angry about how much effort and dedication I gave to the company with scant reward. I was promoted to crew leader but that didn't see my earnings increase, while my responsibility and accountability did...greatly. I learned a lot there for sure and there were some awesome people there who have also now left....as everyone does. My advice to anyone to getting a job there would be to forget you ever applied to the place and save yourself a lot of grief, stress, worry and money!

Advertisement