Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with my lecturer

Options
  • 07-05-2010 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi guys
    As a mature student in his final college-year, I have been studying and doing well in the past years. But it really concerns that this year one of my subjects may not be marked fairly.
    This is a subject requiring no calculation, thus the lecturer can use his own “judgement” and “rules” in determining our results. I already received unfair assignment result from him. (I am sorry I prefer not to tell the reasons here) I decided to keep silent because I am worried that he would mark me even lower in the final exam. He has done things like this before.
    I already checked the appeal procedure but it sounds very tricky to be successful due to the nature of this subject. I am praying here helplessly. All I ask is to receive a fair result without any bias against me and people like me.
    Did anyone apply appeal before? Can someone give me some suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Well,
    Firstly, you need to wait and see what result you get.
    If you aren't happy ask the lecturer to double check
    If still not happy view script yourself, and see if you can get lecturer to view with you.

If still not happy appeal!
    The thing is, if you appeal it wont be your lecturer that marks it next time i think... this may vary college to college though.

But stop worrying about what might happen. Deal with it if it does happen but honestly dont waste time worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Without context, we can't help you much, advice-wise.

I study Psychology and English Literature. Neither (for the most part) requires any calculation, but that doesn't mean one can't tell a bad answer from a good one!

If you think a lecturer is showing bias against you, talk to your tutor or the relevant college authorities or the Students' Union. They will keep all such things confidential (initially, at least).

An appeals process is a tricky thing at best in college. You'd have to definitively show that your lecturer showed bias. Aren't the exams anonymously marked? Also, aren't they double-marked, since they're final year exams? That means they'd be reviewed by an external examiner, to prevent exactly that kind of bias.

Also, what do you mean by people like you?

Advertisement