Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And where is the wine?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

sourgrapes wrote: »
    Just wrote about rosé for Sunday's Tribune. What are "boarders" feelings on rosé?

Do you like it, if not why not? And if you do like it, in what style, the "blush" from Gallo et cetera or the more traditional dry styles from southern France?

Is it underappreciated?

Interested to hear some thoughts.

I think rose has come a hell of a long way, with winemakers now taking it a bit more seriously. That means that consumers are also realising that there are some great roses out there. I'm stuck down here in NZ and the local roses here have improved immeasurably over the past 10 years. We're now getting wines with clean fruit (often from young pinot vines, but sometimes using merlot or cab franc as well) and decent complexity and depth of flavour, but backed up with a solid acid spine. Compared to the Aussie ones that creep into the market, they are light years ahead. Granted, they'll never supplant sauv blanc, pinot gris, syrah and pinot noir as the vin du jour, but they are great lunchtime or afternoon wines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

sourgrapes wrote: »
    Just wrote about rosé for Sunday's Tribune. What are "boarders" feelings on rosé?

Do you like it, if not why not? And if you do like it, in what style, the "blush" from Gallo et cetera or the more traditional dry styles from southern France?

Is it underappreciated?

Interested to hear some thoughts.
    Yes it is underappreciated. Many people see rose as a sort of gimmick, a style not to be taken seriously. That one can only drink it on a warm summers day. All of which are nonsense. The problem is there are more bad rosé wines made than bad red or whites. Bland wines like Rosé d'Anjou and many White Zinfandel creations are enough to put anyone off rosé for life. And these receive all the attention, spoiling rosé's name, much like Liebfraumilch ruined Germany's reputation in the 70s & 80s.

My favourite rosés at the moment are Riojas. I love anything made from the Tempranillo grape. Faustino do a very decent one. There's a nice crisp acidity to it, something you don't get in many French or Aussie rosés.

In general i don't go for the sweeter Blush styles coming out of California, but there are two exceptions. I like Beringer's Sparkling White Zinfandel Blush. A good balance between fruit and yeastiness and there's just a touch of sweetness to it which is enough. I also like Merlot rosé (white merlot), which again isn't too dry and has a bit of sweetness coming through on the tip of the tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Berwick

Yesterday I took part in a kind of Gewürztraminer celebration.

Had six small glasses of various Gewürztraminer - all from Alsace.

Was again surprised hoe pleasantly different the same grape from the same region can be!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

120 bottles brought back from vineyards in bourgone, savoie and bugey

gotta love touring round france

grenache wrote: »
    For what its worth i'm glad that we are beginning to see more wine threads on here, to complement the several beer and spirit ones.

I second that! :)

Btw: These days I am enjoying a Gutedel from the Markgräflerland.

Gutedel is Fendant in Switzerland, and Chasselas in France. :)

• Advertisement

And what kind of wine did you have for the New Year? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sourgrapes

Berwick wrote: »
    And what kind of wine did you have for the New Year? :)

Domaine de la Vougeraie Gevrey Chambertain 2009

Chanson Puligny Montrachet 2006

Both superb and reaffirmed Burgundy as my favourite region.

Also had the Obriers de la Peira 2008, last year's wine of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

2001 PETIT FOMBRAUGE, ST EMILION GRAND CRU
    2007 MAS DU NOVI PRESTIGI, LANGUEDOC
    2001 CUVEE JOHANNA (red Bordeaux)
    2009 ALMARA FINCA LINTE, NAVARRA
    2009 GRAVETTE CABERNET SAUVIGNON, MINERVOIS
    2008 GRAND BIREAU, BORDEAUX (Sauvignon Blance, Semillon)
    ANSELMI PROSECCO
    VIGNADORO PROSECCO (drier and spumante)
    HERVE MATHELIN, BRUT RESERVE Champagne

It's been a good Christmas! :D

Good ...... good ...... :)

My favourite wines for the New Year are ....

White: a Gewürztraminer
    Red: a Regent and a Spätburgunder

All from the region Baden - in Germany :)

The point I'm making is that there is nowhere near the kind of diversity in wine as there is in beer.

Beer is made from a much more diverse range of ingredients and is made in a huge range of styles and alcohol strengths.

There is simply much more to talk about.

Your statement still surprises me. :)

Let us agree to disagree. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Guys,
    I work in the wine industry down here in the Barossa Valey for Treasury Wine Estates. We make Penfolds, Wolf Blass, Lindemanns, Rosemount and lots of other wines. One of the best value wines we do at the moment is a Pepperjack Shiraz. It is a beautiful sup. not even sure if it is imported into Ireland. Had a glass of $600 grange recently and it was massive although a bit expensive!! Lots of fantastic Australian wines down here that do not even get to Europe, unfortunately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

seipeal1 wrote: »
    Lots of fantastic Australian wines down here that do not even get to Europe, unfortunately.
    We're muddling through with the French, Italian and Spanish stuff.

I work in the wine industry down here in the Barossa Valey for Treasury Wine Estates.

Hello down under!

You work in Barossa Valley?

Can one still see some German influence in the wine growing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Berwick wrote: »
    My favourites are these:

White wines: Riesling and Traminer. It need not be a Gewürztraminer.

Red wines: Pinot Noir (Spätburgunder in German), Merlot, Pinotage, and especially Carmenère.

Is that what Spatburgunder means? Thats a lovely red wine if its good and very difficult to find outside Germany. The only place I have seen it for sale is in Killarney. Its a beautiful wine to have with Turkey on Christmas day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Guys,
    I work in the wine industry down here in the Barossa Valey for Treasury Wine Estates. We make Penfolds, Wolf Blass, Lindemanns, Rosemount and lots of other wines. One of the best value wines we do at the moment is a Pepperjack Shiraz. It is a beautiful sup. not even sure if it is imported into Ireland. Had a glass of $600 grange recently and it was massive although a bit expensive!! Lots of fantastic Australian wines down here that do not even get to Europe, unfortunately.

New world wines became popular when European wines got too expensive. Now its almost the reverse with many supermarkets selling claret and champagne for the same price or cheaper than Chilean, australian or Californian wines

Is that what Spatburgunder means?

Exactly! Pinot Noir (French) = Spätburgunder (German).

Literally "Spätburgunder" means: "a wine from Burgundy that ripens late".

Because the Spätburgunder plants have been imported from Burgundy to Germany in the Middle Ages once.

Let's continue talking about wine. :)
    Today I had a Beaujolais Nouveau.
    I had bought  4 bottles of it  in November 2017.
    This type of wine is not supposed to see the NEW YEAR.
    But I had forgotten all about this one bottle - and so I bravely tried it.
    And it was still fine and quite OK! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:
    This thread hasn't had a new post in eight years, so there is little point in reviving it. Please feel free to start a new thread.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement