Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying small quantities of home heating oil

Options
  • 07-05-2010 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can buy small amounts of Kerosene in Cork (city or county). I don't have the cash for 500L and only need maybe 5/10 gallons to get me over the hump.

Comments

I think there is a place near Kinsale Road roundabout that have a kerosene pump, across from Harvey Norman's iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

murphym7 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can buy small amounts of Kerosene in Cork (city or county). I don't have the cash for 500L and only need maybe 5/10 gallons to get me over the hump.

celtic fuels in Ballincollig have a kerosene pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

murphym7 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can buy small amounts of Kerosene in Cork (city or county).

If the above outlets fail you can get it from East Cork Oil, Mill Rd., Midleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Satts wrote: »
    If the above outlets fail you can get it from East Cork Oil, Mill Rd., Midleton.

Where you can get insulted for free by the office staff, avoid!

Where you can get insulted for free by the office staff, avoid!

I'm surprised to hear that, never had any hassle there.
    Tex Oil have beaten them on price alright the last few fills, but if your only filling a drum it won't make much difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

We had used them for years but the attitude of office staff leaves a lot to be desired so much so that the sales manager rang to try to get our business back and when told of our experience said "Ah yes I know who you are talking about.. Can you give us one more chance???"
    Needless to say they were never rung again and McGuckian's in Carrightwohill now get all our business, great lads always willing to drop in at short notice, and good for price too.

We had used them for years but the attitude of office staff leaves a lot to be desired so much so that the sales manager rang to try to get our business back and when told of our experience said "Ah yes I know who you are talking about.. Can you give us one more chance???"
    Needless to say they were never rung again and McGuckian's in Carrightwohill now get all our business, great lads always willing to drop in at short notice, and good for price too.

Fair enough, haven't met this person.

I always found McGuckian to be expensive, East Cork Oil middle price and Tex Oil the cheapest. Tex Oil Office staff and drivers very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

There is a garage up near Dillons Cross that sell kerosene.I think it is called Callaghans or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

corkcomp wrote: »
    celtic fuels in Ballincollig have a kerosene pump.

I think they are closed down now ? Not sure ?
    Anyone have info on anywhere else you can fill your own drums?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

O Callaghans Ballyvolane is closing shortly, what a shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

That is a shame. Thats where I ended up getting it in the end. They always seemed to do steady business, cheap petrol too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

bogman wrote: »
    O Callaghans Ballyvolane is closing shortly, what a shame

EDIT: O'Callaghan's is being taken over as he's retiring and selling up. Nobody knows who the new owners will be as yet.

Any self service kerosene pumps Southside?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

There is a tool shop / diy place on the main street in Rathcormack that sells in it in (5 gallon?) drums. I dont know the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

If it is Kerosene then you can get it at the Garage in Blackpool and at the Garage at Ballyvolane Cross Roads (there are 2 garages there - its not the texaco one)

You mean O'Callaghan's at Ballyvolane...

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Yeah that's the place, I bring my neighbour up there on occasion to get Kerosene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Xantia wrote: »
    Yeah that's the place, I bring my neighbour up there on occasion to get Kerosene.

Letting the boiler run out of oil on a regular basees does major wear and tear to the oil pump. Always keep it toped up, if not your faceing a €200 + repair bill if the oil pump goes.
    I should know, I'm a full time oil service engineer. I would sooner not have to break the bad news to you. Always keep an extra drop in the tank.

Some of the oil companys did or do a weekly payment plan if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

scudo2 wrote: »
    Letting the boiler run out of oil on a regular basees does major wear and tear to the oil pump. Always keep it toped up, if not your faceing a €200 + repair bill if the oil pump goes.
    I should know, I'm a full time oil service engineer. I would sooner not have to break the bad news to you. Always keep an extra drop in the tank.

Some of the oil companys did or do a weekly payment plan if that helps.
    Suttons do a monthly payment plan.

It actually works quite well, I think you are allowed double the amount you are in credit to the company.

For example my parents bill was cleared in june, they have a standing order set up for every month, and in October when we go to order oil, say we are €400 in credit, they will fill €800 worth of oil .

Then if you were caught for needing a small top up in march, they would give you up to €300 or €400 on your account.

That said about €1000 would do the heating and hot water for the year in my house, so it works well.

oakshade wrote: »
    There is a tool shop / diy place on the main street in Rathcormack that sells in it in (5 gallon?) drums. I dont know the price.

Was hoping someone knew of some place nearer the city . Maybe on the southside ? Anyone ?

• Advertisement

I thought Ballyvolane was in the city, albeit Northside. Another garage at the Kinsale Rd roundabout was also mentioned in this thread. And that's Southside.

How much nearer to the city do you want to be?? :confused:

I thought Ballyvolane was in the city, albeit Northside. Another garage at the Kinsale Rd roundabout was also mentioned in this thread. And that's Southside.

How much nearer to the city do you want to be?? :confused:

The post re Kinsale rd was 2010 , This is 2013 . Was asking a general question , if it bothers you too much then dont read :(:mad::eek:

Some people .... fook

Stargate wrote: »
    The post re Kinsale rd was 2010 , This is 2013 . Was asking a general question , if it bothers you too much then dont read :(:mad::eek:

Some people .... fook

Read the thread. Some of the replies ARE from 2013!!! Before you mouth off READ through...

Dear oh dear....

Read the thread. Some of the replies ARE from 2013!!! Before you mouth off READ through...

Dear oh dear....

Dear oh Dear is right

Well done to you Mr Keyboard Warrior ...total ass !!
    On boards 12 years , you are my first and only person on ignore.

End of conversation with you !!
    Bye Now !

Ta ra. Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Just an update for anyone looking for a self service Kerosene pump in the city .

The Westlink Garage on Lower Pouladuff Road has one , bring your own drum .

Link

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.8732852,-8.4864519,3a,75y,163.08h,90.02t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sEv2zo6JDUngaS-gMbgRjDQ!2e0

Advertisement