Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling Off/Trial period in a lease.

Options
  • 07-05-2010 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

So, I'm looking around at the moment for a new apartment. A friend said I should be looking for a two week or so "cooling off" period in the lease, his reasoning being that if someone is on holidays or whatever when I move in, I might not realise I have a massive problem with loud music or whatever until it's too late.
    He said he's had them before in places he rented but tbh I've never heard of the like.

Is it common and/or something I should be looking for? Don't want to make a fool of myself asking if it's not something that's likely to be agreed to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Nevore wrote: »
    So, I'm looking around at the moment for a new apartment. A friend said I should be looking for a two week or so "cooling off" period in the lease, his reasoning being that if someone is on holidays or whatever when I move in, I might not realise I have a massive problem with loud music or whatever until it's too late.
    He said he's had them before in places he rented but tbh I've never heard of the like.

Is it common and/or something I should be looking for? Don't want to make a fool of myself asking if it's not something that's likely to be agreed to.

Never heard of that, but then again in this market it seems it is easier to ask for out of the ordinary requests on leases. I suppose if the landlord knows the place is fine and neighbours are ok they shouldnt have a problem, but on the flip side, they may not want to waste time with lease signings and taking deposits etc, when you may bail in 2 weeks.

I asked recently for a 6-month break clause be in place on my 12 month lease because of uncertainty in my job, and while it wasnt a problem, i'd say if there were any other people interested in the place and willing to sign a 12 month lease, the place would have been theirs straightaway.

Advertisement