Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quiet Turbo Trainer

• 07-05-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, forgive me if there is already a thread looking for a recomendation on this, i couldn't find one.

I have a baby on the way in July and somehow don't see myself getting out for spins with the same degree of regularity for at least the first few months

I want to get myself a good turbo trainer so i can carry on pedaling when i get the chance without having to leave the house. Preferably a silent one that won't piss off the baby or it's mother.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Steady background noise sends babies to sleep; you'll only wake the baby if you fall off the turbo or if you have very noisy cleat engagement.

That said, suggest you get a decent quality turbo with high resistance, that way you can run it at low wheel speed, which reduces noise from spokes and tyre. Also, get a trainer-specific tyre as these are quieter.

I have a Tacx Satori which is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I don't think silent trainers exist; you can minimise the noise with a turbo tyre and mat under the trainer but they are still quite noisy. Magnetic are meant to be quieter than fan-type. I have a magnetic one (with tyre and mat) and I reckon most of the noise is coming from the bike rather than the trainer. It is not quiet.

As Lumen says the lower the wheel speed the lower the noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Holding the baby on the turbo while doing an interval session *will* get you in trouble. Seemingly getting babies covered in sweat does not go down well.

But +1 on the noise relaxing babies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Cheers lads, i was thinking of this one. Affordable and gets good reviews on various sites.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15262

McTigs wrote: »
    Cheers lads, i was thinking of this one. Affordable and gets good reviews on various sites.

The main difference between that and the Satori is likely to be the resistance, although Tacx don't quote any numbers for the Sirius. This will make a difference to the noise levels, but then the price gap is substantial. Diminishing returns apply...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

So, you need:
    1. Turbo trainer 43181.jpg
    2. Aero bars with flip-up nappy changing leg rests pd_aerobar_airstryke_sbend_side_2.jpg
    3. Baby bottle for feeds pd_a_bottle_aerodrink_top_1.jpg
    4. Helmet mounted baby bottle rack pd_a_aquarack_top_1_blk.jpg
    5. Set of panniers for the nappies, wipes, spare clothes and stuff
    6. Oh, and maybe a bike...

Best of luck. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Hi all,

Just wondering when are the trainers mainly used. In the winter with very bad weather ??

I'd be interested in getting one i could leave in the shed that i could use in the winter months with dark evenings etc......would this be a good use ???

Also does it damage bike etc...........new to all this !

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just wondering when are the trainers mainly used. In the winter with very bad weather ??
    In my case it depends...

... but it's normally the 4 weeks or so after getting home from hospital!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

McTigs wrote: »

There was a thread on the adverts section a few days ago with somebody selling one of these - it looks like it's probably sold but might be worth checking? (Sorry, I don't know how to link to a post)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

StudentC wrote: »
    There was a thread on the adverts section a few days ago with somebody selling one of these - it looks like it's probably sold but might be worth checking? (Sorry, I don't know how to link to a post)
    That would appear to be sold.

I don't mind buying new seeing as my local barman won't be seeing a cent for the forseeable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Am in the same boat. Can highly recommend the Tacx Sirius (with trainer tyre and mat). Consistent noise does send babies to sleep BTW, so you may never see the road again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Ryder wrote: »
    Am in the same boat. Can highly recommend the Tacx Sirius (with trainer tyre and mat). Consistent noise does send babies to sleep BTW, so you may never see the road again

Remember though little fingers and spokes don't mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah I don't think a quiet turbo exists, there are only ones which are "relatively" quiet. Tacx Satori, a mat and a turbo specific tyre are probably the best you can do. I have a Tacx flow with a turbo tyre and it is still quite loud, I tried using it at night once but didn't like pedalling slowly with a huge resistance.

Extension cord + back garden?

tunney wrote: »

I think I'll train on the disc next winter. The little scrotes have a habit of creeping down stairs and asking me difficult questions about why I'm pedalling so hard to get nowhere. It really breaks the concentration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

tunney wrote: »

I use a pretty cheap training wheel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I tried using it at night once but didn't like pedalling slowly with a huge resistance.
    Noise is not a function of cadence so much as the rear wheel speed. You need to set it so the rear wheel is going as slowly as possible; you should actually then be in a gear where you can maintain a relatively high cadence.

Advertisement