Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Me oul Sa-go-sha"?

Options
  • 07-05-2010 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, this saying came up last night in the pub.

Anyone know where it came from or what it means? From Gaeilge perhaps? Think it's a Dublin thing anyway, hence posting here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

I think segotia is a type of flower

similar to the saying "me ould flower"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=195176

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Diarmaid Ó Muirithe A Glossary of Irish Slang (Mar. 4) p. 118: Me segotia, or me oul’ segotia are phrases as Dublin as they come.…Mr. Paddy O’Neill…was right when he glossed it as a Dublin Fusilier’s word. Me segotia, Mr. O’Neill claimed, was originally said to children only, which is very important, as it confirms his theory that it was a corruption of some phrase like mon cher gosse, my dear child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thanks for the detailed respsonses guys.

My friend, to whom I showed boards.ie for the first time yesterday, is very impressed with the site so far, especially after this!

Thanks for the info.

K.

Advertisement